Friedrich Kiel (1821-85)

Started by schnittkease, July 18, 2017, 07:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

"Writing of the chamber music of Friedrich Kiel (1821-85), the famous scholar and critic Wilhelm Altmann notes that it was Kiel's extreme modesty which kept him and his exceptional works from receiving the consideration they deserved. After mentioning Johannes Brahms and others, Altmann writes, "He produced a number of chamber works, which . . . need fear no comparison." "

Kiel wrote some damn good piano quintets and, from what I've heard, two first-rate string quartets.

I have the Naxos recording of the PQs, and I can testify that they are as good as Dvořák's (or even Brahms').

lescamil

I've heard his piano concerto on the Romantic Piano Concerto series and while it has some good moments and is an enjoyable work, it sort of fades into the din of generic Brahmsian romanticism. Good, but not great.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

schnittkease

Quote from: lescamil on July 18, 2017, 05:30:57 PM
I've heard his piano concerto on the Romantic Piano Concerto series and while it has some good moments and is an enjoyable work, it sort of fades into the din of generic Brahmsian romanticism. Good, but not great.

Chamber music is where Kiel really shines, should you choose to explore his music further.

SonicMan46

TTT!  Well, I'm listening to my modest Friedrich Kiel (1821-1885) collection and found this dormant thread of the German composer, music teacher, and amateur mountaineer - just a few statements from his Wiki article below - his composition LIST.  I own the 5 discs below (Quintets a MP3 DL) and enjoy the chamber works in particular - reviews are attached - recommended German romantic chamber music from a forgotten composer.  Dave :)

QuoteKiel's compositions number over seventy, including a piano concerto, motets, oratorios, as well as a Missa Solemnis and two Requiems. Chamber music comprises a considerable part of Kiel's output and must be regarded among his most important and best compositions. (Source)