Music with Rhythm

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, September 13, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krummholz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 13, 2021, 08:04:13 PM
These are masters of rhythm in my view:

Holmboe, Honegger, Hindemith, Copland, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Bartók, Villa-Lobos. Do explore more of his music: symphonies, chamber music, piano works, other orchestral pieces.

Gosh, I would add your avatar to that list! (Carl Nielsen, in case you change your avatar at some point)...

And while I wouldn't say that all of Tubin's music is generally very rhythmical, his middle period symphonies (5 through 7) feature some strong rhythms, and the 6th symphony in particular uses dance rhythms to convey a sense of dark drivenness and impending catastrophe.

Mirror Image

Quote from: krummholz on September 17, 2021, 05:09:52 AM
Gosh, I would add your avatar to that list! (Carl Nielsen, in case you change your avatar at some point)...

And while I wouldn't say that all of Tubin's music is generally very rhythmical, his middle period symphonies (5 through 7) feature some strong rhythms, and the 6th symphony in particular uses dance rhythms to convey a sense of dark drivenness and impending catastrophe.

I'm a bit surprised by Cesar's omission of Nielsen as well.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: krummholz on September 17, 2021, 05:09:52 AM

Silly me! Nielsen definitely needs to be mentioned too. I don't think I'm going to change my avatar soon. I'm very happy with it as he's my favorite symphonist ever and one of my top-10 composers.

Oh yes, Tubin's 6th Symphony has lots of exciting rhythmic passages. I detect that his style changed importantly from this work on.

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 17, 2021, 05:13:59 AM
I'm a bit surprised by Cesar's omission of Nielsen as well.

For some reason I associate Nielsen with wit, quirkiness and power more than with rhythm, but yes, I should add him.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

krummholz

I was thinking especially of the 1st movement of Espansiva... and actually, at least as much as rhythm, I associate Nielsen with flow. But rhythm is a big part of that too, I think... not necessarily always strong rhythms, but sometimes, as in the 3rd and 4th symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: krummholz on September 23, 2021, 07:28:40 AM
I was thinking especially of the 1st movement of Espansiva... and actually, at least as much as rhythm, I associate Nielsen with flow. But rhythm is a big part of that too, I think... not necessarily always strong rhythms, but sometimes, as in the 3rd and 4th symphonies.

The rhythms throughout the 5th are especially worthy of mention, too, I would think.