Favorite recording of the Archduke Trio?

Started by DavidW, September 29, 2021, 04:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

The Archduke Trio is my favorite classical work.  It is my birthday so I intend to listen to it after work.  I haven't decided which recording I would listen to though so I thought I would ask what your favorite recording is?  I own the Beaux Arts Trio and the Florestan Trio but can stream almost anything.

Harry

Many happy returns my friend.  The Archduke trio is a good choice for a festive occasion.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Jo498

Congratulations!
I have around a half dozen recordings of the Archduke Trio but I never did serious comparison. I used to like the ca. 1940 with Rubinstein, Heifetz, Feuermann that is both fierce and lyrical. Some later recordings are a bit too broad, not to say "fat". Another highly regarded one that I think I liked is the Suk Trio (Supraphon 1960s). (I also have Fontenay and Hungarian Trio in complete recordings, Castle Trio (HIP) and probably another one or two in anthologies.)

I have to admit that it might not even be my favorite Beethoven trio (at least there is strong competition from the underrated op.70 Nr.2 E flat major). I love the scherzo and the slow movement that is a stunning case how impressive and "soulful" mostly figurative variations can be (and without doing such a tour de force as in op.111) but the finale is a bit of a stumbling block with its "Gassenhauer" or Rossinian lightness. (One is reminded of anecdotes when the young Beethoven moved listeners to tears by his playing but then closed with a bang or started laughing.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

To my surprise I don't own any recording of this work. What if I haven't even heard the work at all?  ???

EDIT: I listened to the piece on Spotify, (Stuttgart Piano Trio). Brilliant Classics has a cheapo set of Beethoven's music for piano trio.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

I have a couple of recordings which are old favorites [Don't think that I have any relatively recent recordings of it?]:

The Rostropovich, Gilels and Kogan and
Cortot, Thibaud and Casals

And Happy Birthday!!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

amw

I usually find myself listening to the Florestan Trio in this piece, but agree that it's not one I spend a lot of time on. The Zingara Trio is also worthwhile, especially for the performance of the slow movement, which is taken at a completely historically inaccurate tempo that somehow works perfectly. I'm not familiar offhand with any historically informed recordings—I have definitely listened to the Beths/Bylsma/Immerseel recording but don't remember anything about it.

Jo498

I checked and have the Gilels et al. and the Immerseel as well. I think I clearly preferred the Castle trio (EMI/Virgin) to Immerseel for historical instruments but these are about 30 years old by now, so I'd expect there to be more recent historically informed recordings.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Happy birthday! I don't know a lot about this piece and only seem to own four or five recordings (Beaux Arts, Wanderer, several with Rubinstein in his big box set). Right now in your honor I am playing the recording with Szeryng, Fournier, and Kempff.

DavidW

Thanks all, I've decided to go with Rostropovich, Gilels and Kogan!  Will start listening in the next few minutes.

Daverz

Haven't really re-evaluated this one in at least a couple decades.  Would usually go for the Suk Trio's earlier recording or Stern-Istomin-Rose

Que

Great recordings of the Archduke: Suk Trio, Beaux Arts (1965 Philips recording).

The two Casals recordings are also epic, but hors concours due to limited sound quality - being historical and live respectively.

Ras

Quote from: DavidW on September 29, 2021, 04:39:12 AM
The Archduke Trio is my favorite classical work.  It is my birthday so I intend to listen to it after work.  I haven't decided which recording I would listen to though so I thought I would ask what your favorite recording is?  I own the Beaux Arts Trio and the Florestan Trio but can stream almost anything.

I'm not a big fan of Beethoven's piano trios so take it with a grain of salt.
But I would recommend the Capucon brothers with Frank Brailey on piano:

On Spotify the album starts with the Ghost trio:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6Zkzy8c0Zax3LkGLKOBhnq?si=qK3P-aNKQUCMprTA3QWvuA&dl_branch=1

[asin]B0832HFG6F[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on September 29, 2021, 07:17:57 PM
Haven't really re-evaluated this one in at least a couple decades.  Would usually go for the Suk Trio's earlier recording or Stern-Istomin-Rose

Oh, I had forgotten about that Suk Trio one!  And, yes, it's lovely!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

amw

Quote from: Que on September 30, 2021, 02:14:21 AMStaier, Sepec and Queras (HM) on period instruments.
I wish. Queyras recorded the Archduke with Faust and Melnikov on modern instruments. With Staier and Sepec it's only Op. 1/3 and 70/1.

DavidW

I was too tired when I listened to properly enjoy it... so I'll try again with the Suk Trio this time as that has seemed to emerge as the recording to consider on this thread.

Que

Quote from: amw on September 30, 2021, 05:59:30 AM
I wish. Queyras recorded the Archduke with Faust and Melnikov on modern instruments. With Staier and Sepec it's only Op. 1/3 and 70/1.

My bad....I was confused with the "Geister- Trio"!

Still a great performance.  :)

71 dB

Quote from: DavidW on September 30, 2021, 06:54:58 AM
I was too tired when I listened to properly enjoy it... so I'll try again with the Suk Trio this time as that has seemed to emerge as the recording to consider on this thread.

The Suk Trio becomes Suck Trio when you are too tired?  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on September 30, 2021, 06:54:58 AM
This is what happens when you party too hard too early! Fewer mimosas next time!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2021, 08:17:20 AM
This is what happens when you party too hard too early! Fewer mimosas next time!

lol no partying.  Just exhausted from closing and moving while staying on top of work.  This is my first weekend off in weeks.