https://twitter.com/HelenaDix/status/1444925167810056193

15 operas. Probably an easy one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on October 04, 2021, 08:06:20 PM
From Twitter user Helena Dix

https://twitter.com/HelenaDix/status/1444925167810056193

15 operas. Probably an easy one.

Not if you don't know much about opera! ;)

Jo498

I get about 12 but I cannot see everything in the far background and some hints are a bit indirect, e.g. the one in the lower left corner.

(rot 13)

Sebz gbc gb obggbz, ebhtuyl

Gbfpn snyyvat
(va gur gerr) Guvrivat zntcvr naq Cncntrab sebz Zntvp Syhgr
Qba Tvbinaav naq gur fgbar Thrfg
(naq znlor Purehovab uvqvat haqre gur gnoyr, v.r. Svtneb)
Qhry sebz Rhtra Bartva
(pna'g qvfgvathvfu jung tbrf ba nebhaq gur ynxr, Fjna ynxr vf abg na bcren, bar svther ybbxf n ovg Jntarevna be ner gurfr 7 qjneirf?)
Fnybzr jvgu gur urnq bs Wbpunana ba gur yrsg,
Phaavat ivkra fgbyr n puvpxra
Zvqfhzzre avtug'f qernz (thl jvgu nfvavar urnq)
Znqnzn ohggresyl
Snyfgnss haqre gur gerr
Guerr benatrf va gur ybjre yrsg pbeare
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Lohengrin
La gazza ladra
Salome
Falstaff
The Cunning Little Vixen
Madama Butterfly
Un ballo in maschera
La traviata
Lulu?
Don Giovanni
The Magic Flute
Bluebeard's Castle ?
Nixon in China ?
The Flying Dutchman?
A Midsummer Night's Dream?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Maestro267

What on earth is that text?!

Wendell_E

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 05, 2021, 01:02:15 AM
What on earth is that text?!

I was wondering myself, so I googled ROT 13:

"ROT13 is a simple letter substitution cipher that replaces a letter with the 13th letter after it in the alphabet. ROT13 is a special case of the Caesar cipher which was developed in ancient Rome."

More trouble than I'm willing to go to.  :D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Jo498

You are not supposed to read it. You are supposed to do the opera riddle yourself, that's why it is in cipher.

Here is a en/decoder that works with copy and paste

https://rot13.de/
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Believe that I have most of them:

The Thieving Magpie
The Magic Flute
Antony and Cleopatra
The Cunning Vixen
Madama Butterfly
The Flying Dutchman?
Tosca
Midsummer Night's Dream
Where the Wild Things Are
Sir John in Love?
Eugene Onegin
Don Giovanni
Nixon in China? [airplane made me think of that]
Rusalka?  Not certain who is drowning in the lake

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

The new erato

The KLM Airliner should be the fFying Dutchman.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on October 05, 2021, 04:59:36 AM
The KLM Airliner should be the fFying Dutchman.
Ah, I bet that you're right!  I couldn't see/read the print on the plane (and also don't know the colors that it's painted).

I was just thinking that the ship in the lake could also represent Tristan und Isolde...

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

...and perhaps the swan plus boat = Lohengrin?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Lohengrin in the background (the swan), and rather than Sir John in Love, I would have said Falstaff (boils down to the same thing  ;) ).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on October 05, 2021, 05:09:35 AM
Lohengrin in the background (the swan), and rather than Sir John in Love, I would have said Falstaff (boils down to the same thing  ;) ).
True!

So, who/which opera do you think that the sinking ship and drowning person in the foreground represents?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

I didn't get the one with sinking ship but it is fairly well known.

You misinterpreted one, I believe, which is understandable because of the hairstyle, and missed one I gave a hint towards further above.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on October 05, 2021, 05:18:13 AM
I didn't get the one with sinking ship but it is fairly well known.

You misinterpreted one, I believe, which is understandable because of the hairstyle, and missed one I gave a hint towards further above.
Ah, I see now!  I gave in and looked and found out two more of them.  :-[  That makes sense now.  :)  The only thing that came to me earlier when I saw the sinking ship and someone drowning was Peter Grimes....but I feel like it's supposed to be something else?  Can't read what it says on the stern of that darn ship!

Wish that the resolution on my computer was better!  So it goes....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 05, 2021, 05:14:32 AM

So, who/which opera do you think that the sinking ship and drowning person in the foreground represents?   :)

PD
I don't have the foggiest idea.  ;D I can't read the name of the boat either... :(

I think it's not Anthony and Cleopatra on the left, but Salome (even if she does look Egyptian  ;).

And I can't figure out who the people (is it people?) dancing on the bridge behind the swan can be... ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on October 05, 2021, 11:18:03 AM
I don't have the foggiest idea.  ;D I can't read the name of the boat either... :(

I think it's not Anthony and Cleopatra on the left, but Salome (even if she does look Egyptian  ;).

And I can't figure out who the people (is it people?) dancing on the bridge behind the swan can be... ???
Yes, I didn't initially see the, er, head on the plate.  I was looking more at what I thought was the overall picture thinking it was a general vs. caesar...the definition between the image and my computer wasn't the greatest...and yes, I did see a particular serpent on her head ornament (looked like an asp to me making me think of Egypt).

Hard to see the background too, but I recognized Maurice Sendak characters, so I was able to figure that one out.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 05, 2021, 06:07:26 AM
Ah, I see now!  I gave in and looked and found out two more of them.  :-[  That makes sense now.  :)  The only thing that came to me earlier when I saw the sinking ship and someone drowning was Peter Grimes....but I feel like it's supposed to be something else?  Can't read what it says on the stern of that darn ship!
I think it is supposed to be Peter Grimes, why not?

The "people" on the bridge are the Wild Things.
(The German translation of the children's book is "Wo die wilden Kerle wohnen", "wilde Kerle" is hard to translate, "wild guys" would be too weak, it's a more colorful term with the connotation of a roughness. As you see we also got another Wagnerian alliteration in.)

I wonder if there is something at the window on the left in the middle, right above the park wall.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on October 05, 2021, 11:51:43 AM
I think it is supposed to be Peter Grimes, why not?

The "people" on the bridge are the Wild Things.
(The German translation of the children's book is "Wo die wilden Kerle wohnen", "wilde Kerle" is hard to translate, "wild guys" would be too weak, it's a more colorful term with the connotation of a roughness. As you see we also got another Wagnerian alliteration in.)

I wonder if there is something at the window on the left in the middle, right above the park wall.

I suspect Kerle is a cognate of the English churl, most wildly known in its adjectival form churlish. Its Old English form was ceorl.

In Old English, ceorl referred to freemen who ranked above the servile classes but below the nobility. In this sense, ceorl is now primarily encountered in historical writings where, to this day, it has maintained its Old English spelling. The word also evolved, however, into a form that will be more familiar to most English speakers today. In Middle English, ceorl took on the spelling churl (among others), and with that variant spelling it began to develop disparaging senses by the early 14th century. Churl can still be used to refer to the historical rank of ceorl or as a general term for a medieval peasant, but it is now primarily encountered in the senses of "a rude ill-bred person" or "a stingy morose person
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ceorl

JBS

The writing on the boat says Lowestoft.
Which should make the opera involved rather obvious.