Thorvaldsdottir, Anna (1977 - )

Started by Brahmsian, October 12, 2021, 07:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Anna S. Þorvaldsdóttir is an Icelandic composer with atmospheric compositions, and her music is seeming to become more well known.

I had the great fortune of hearing her work, Metacosmos (2017) live performed at the 2019 Winnipeg New Music Festival, and it left a really great impression.  Another work I have heard of hers is In The Light of Air (2013-14).  Both wonderfully atmospheric pieces.

Is there anyone else familiar with this composer's music?   :)

Here is a link to her website.

https://www.annathorvalds.com/

foxandpeng

I've heard Aerial by her. Depending on the mood, I quite like the almost primitive, ambient kind of vibe she has going on. Again, late evening listening in the same atmosphere as Feldman's Rothko Chapel. Kind of.

On a connected note, this would be a soft intro to Paleo-folk or Paleo-metal bands like Heilung, Nyttland, or Wyrdstaef.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Thank you for joining the thread, Foxandpeng:)  I didn't expect a response so soon to this thread.  ;D

I'm not familiar with Aeriality, but I am assuming it is from this disc?

foxandpeng

That's the one  :). I quite like what I've heard so far. We do a fair but of nordic pagan/heathen atmospheric music that crosses back and forth with what I've heard so far, but lots more to discover from her.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

TheGSMoeller

I'm in love with Thorvaldsdottir's music! It's structurally very free but with a continuous flow, I also find it very cosmic sounding, and also at times, as foxandpeng stated, very primative.

These are the CDs I own featuring her music. The first two are only of Thorvaldsdottir's music whereas the rest are compilations featuring other Icelandic composers.

This is the 3rd disc of this series by the Iceland SO, Thorvaldsdottir is not featured on it but if you like the other two from the series you'd like this as well. Icelandic composers seem to be similarly influenced.

Mirror Image

Thorvaldsdottir (say this name three times fast! :P) is a cool composer. I only own two recordings which feature her music (Aerial and In the Light of Air), but she's awesome. I'd like to become more familiar with her music as these types of composers who wrote these soundscape, atmospheric works are fascinating to me.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2021, 10:14:36 AM
Thorvaldsdottir (say this name three times fast! :P) is a cool composer. I only own two recordings which feature her music (Aerial and In the Light of Air), but she's awesome. I'd like to become more familiar with her music as these types of composers who wrote these soundscape, atmospheric works are fascinating to me.

Didn't know you were familiar with her music, John.  PM awaits you.  :laugh:

Brahmsian

This one has just been released, but am not familiar with the composition:

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2021, 09:25:33 AM
I'm in love with Thorvaldsdottir's music! It's structurally very free but with a continuous flow, I also find it very cosmic sounding, and also at times, as foxandpeng stated, very primative.

These are the CDs I own featuring her music. The first two are only of Thorvaldsdottir's music whereas the rest are compilations featuring other Icelandic composers.

This is the 3rd disc of this series by the Iceland SO, Thorvaldsdottir is not featured on it but if you like the other two from the series you'd like this as well. Icelandic composers seem to be similarly influenced.

Cool, Greg.  Oh boy, you are really familiar with her stuff, that is awesome!  :)  Like I said, only familiar with Metacosmos and In The Light of Air thus far, but now just listened to Aeriality on YouTube.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2021, 10:14:36 AM

You should checkout the Iceland Symphony series on Sono Luminus records. All three discs are great.

Link to Occurrence...

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/occurrence

You can find Concurrence and Recurrence here...

https://www.amazon.com/Concurrence-Iceland-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B07XQRHFQJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=iceland+symphony&qid=1634063883&s=music&sr=1-1

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 12, 2021, 10:35:40 AM
Cool, Greg.  Oh boy, you are really familiar with her stuff, that is awesome!  :)  Like I said, only familiar with Metacosmos and In The Light of Air thus far, but now just listened to Aeriality on YouTube.

Hi, Ray. I feel if you like what you've already heard from Thorvaldsdottir, then you should enjoy the rest.
Do check it out, along with her other fellow Icelandic composers.

When I purchased the 3-Cds series from Sono Luminous a few months ago I thought about starting a thread for Icelandic composers, perhaps there is already one?

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2021, 10:42:20 AM
Hi, Ray. I feel if you like what you've already heard from Thorvaldsdottir, then you should enjoy the rest.
Do check it out, along with her other fellow Icelandic composers.

When I purchased the 3-Cds series from Sono Luminous a few months ago I thought about starting a thread for Icelandic composers, perhaps there is already one?

I think there might be a blended Icelandic composers' thread, yes.  However, I felt Thorvaldsdottir deserved an individual one and I've been meaning to create it and post about her for some time.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 12, 2021, 10:42:52 AM
Earth to John (MI) - Don't Buy Concurrence........Don't Buy Concurrence......Don't Buy Concurrence.   :D ;) 8)

8)

Mirror Image

Here's a fascinating interview with Thorvaldsdottir:

https://www.youtube.com/v/rMildeCyfIQ

And another one:

https://www.youtube.com/v/bLHru-uCaKA

relm1

Very fine composer.  I LOVE that Sono Iceland Symphony series by the way, consistently interesting contemporary music.

Pohjolas Daughter

I just listened to a couple of excerpts of her music---quite like it!  The ones (so far) that I've sampled were Catamorphosis and AiōnAiōn in particular was quite striking!  Has anyone here heard the complete work?

Trying to figure out what to sample from here...

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 13, 2021, 06:40:18 AM
I just listened to a couple of excerpts of her music---quite like it!  The ones (so far) that I've sampled were Catamorphosis and AiōnAiōn in particular was quite striking!  Has anyone here heard the complete work?

Trying to figure out what to sample from here...

PD

PD,

Do listen to Metacosmos, Aerialty and In The Light of Air. I think you would like those and these should be available on YouTube.

I will try to sample the ones you just mentioned.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 13, 2021, 07:10:08 AM
PD,

Do listen to Metacosmos, Aerialty and In The Light of Air. I think you would like those and these should be available on YouTube.

I will try to sample the ones you just mentioned.
Thanks.  I'll check them out.

Just spent a while trying to see whether or not there might be a recording of it available to purchase and am not having any luck (re Aiōn).  I did find this other neat excerpt of it (much shorter).  I think that there was later a joint collaboration/performance with a dance troop (and orchestra was also involved).  It's here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBNDfI5gFOg  In any event, the excerpt on her website is longer.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 13, 2021, 07:31:24 AM
Thanks.  I'll check them out.

Just spent a while trying to see whether or not there might be a recording of it available to purchase and am not having any luck (re Aiōn).  I did find this other neat excerpt of it (much shorter).  I think that there was later a joint collaboration/performance with a dance troop (and orchestra was also involved).  It's here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBNDfI5gFOg  In any event, the excerpt on her website is longer.

PD

To my knowledge, there isn't a recording of Aion yet. Hopefully, there will be soon, though.