18th Chopin Competition

Started by Holden, October 15, 2021, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

I'm surprised that a thread on this topic has not been started already. Anyway, the Chopin Competition has reached the semifinal stages with 23 pianists selected to play from Oct 14 to Oct 16. It's free to watch on Gramophone. You can watch a live stream or and archived version at your leisure.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/blogs/article/the-chopin-piano-competition-day-12-the-semi-finals-part-one

You can use this link to move on each day. I've been sampling and while there is close to 10 hours of content each day, I've usually managed to cut it down significantly.

It's been interesting to hear former 'wunderkind' Aimi Kobayashi play and to see how she has developed her skills since her days of performing as a child. I've never been a fan of child prodigies - they usually crash and burn. Kobayashi is proving to be an exception.

I've heard a couple of very talented pianists. Nikolay Khozyainov from Russia has really impressed me. He first competed in 2010 and made the finals at the age of 16. There is something about him that reminds me of Sokolov.

Anyway, I've been enjoying the programs - hope you do too.
Cheers

Holden

vers la flamme

Funny, I was going to note that a thread on the Chopin Competition has been started, until I realized that it was you who started the thread:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,31225.0.html

I have not been following it, but may tune in for some of the final rounds. Is there anyone you particularly like, aside from Khozyainov who you mentioned? I'm not always interested in piano competitions, but the Chopin has spawned some brilliant pianists' careers: Argerich, Ashkenazy, Pollini, Zimerman, Ohlsson, and Uchida were are first or second place winners. So I have a lot of respect for the event.

Mirror Image

Of course, one of main squeezes Bartók had this to say: "Competitions are for horses, not artists." And I'm pretty much in agreement with him.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Congratulations, Bruce Liu (Canada)!
Second prize went to Kyohei Sorita of Japan and Alexander Gadjiev, representing Italy and Slovenia.
Third prize was awarded to Martin Garcia Garcia of Spain.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 21, 2021, 06:35:31 PM
Congratulations, Bruce Liu (Canada)!
Second prize went to Kyohei Sorita of Japan and Alexander Gadjiev, representing Italy and Slovenia.
Third prize was awarded to Martin Garcia Garcia of Spain.

Let's see if young Mr. Liu gets a recording contract out of his win  ;D

First Canadian first-prize winner, eh?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 22, 2021, 12:59:27 PM
Let's see if young Mr. Liu gets a recording contract out of his win  ;D

First Canadian first-prize winner, eh?

Ha ha, probably he will.
For Sorita (2nd) and Aimi (4th), they will probably get contracts with Japanese labels as Mitsuko Uchida was a 2nd prize winner decades ago.

Pohjolas Daughter

I've rarely followed classical music competitions to be honest though it's tempting to watch some of the footage from the Chopin Competition.

Interesting, upon looking at Wiki, I see that it's only held every 5 years.  Didn't know that!  And also interesting to read how the competition works and rules for entering, etc.  You can read more about it here:  https://chopin2020.pl/en/competition/rules

PD