10 (or so) favorite works composed before the age of 20

Started by kyjo, October 15, 2021, 08:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Don't have a list, just want to pile on to the admiration for the Arriaga string quartets.  Also the early string quartets of Schubert, which I ignored for a long time, assuming they were juvenalia.  Big mistake.

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on October 18, 2021, 03:29:45 PM
Don't have a list, just want to pile on to the admiration for the Arriaga string quartets.  Also the early string quartets of Schubert, which I ignored for a long time, assuming they were juvenalia.  Big mistake.

Which of the early Schubert quartets particularly stood out to you? I must confess almost complete unfamiliarity with them.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: VonStupp on October 17, 2021, 10:03:26 AM
Favorite might be more than I should give some of these, but I enjoy all of them enough. VS

R. Strauss: Horn Concerto 1
Mozart: Exsultate, jubilate
Mendelssohn: String Symphony 11
L. Boulanger: Faust et Hélène
Bizet: Symphony in C
Bernstein: Piano Trio
George Lloyd: Symphony 2
Samuel Barber: The Daisies & With Rue My Heart is Laden
Mendelssohn: Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage
Glazunov: Symphony 1
Gershwin: Rialto Ripples

Very nice list! I had forgotten about Bizet's incredibly charming Symphony in C.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on October 19, 2021, 07:52:52 AM
Which of the early Schubert quartets particularly stood out to you? I must confess almost complete unfamiliarity with them.

I know you aren't asking me - but one example is the G minor quartet, D.173

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on October 19, 2021, 07:54:20 AM
Very nice list! I had forgotten about Bizet's incredibly charming Symphony in C.

A personal discovery for me last year, and a splendid one at that!!  :)

Jo498

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 07:59:23 AM
I know you aren't asking me - but one example is the G minor quartet, D.173
I think that's the best of the early ones. The most often played/recorded might be E flat major D 87 but I don't really understand why.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

VonStupp

Quote from: kyjo on October 19, 2021, 07:54:20 AM

This list took a little investigation, that is for sure. I certainly didn't realize R. Strauss' 1st Horn Concerto was a teenaged work, but have always admired his ability to write for horn.

Bizet's Symphony is nothing but sunshine for me; always a happy visit.

I was a dolt and left off Schubert's winsome Mass in G (No. 2), so consider it an addendum to my offerings.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

DaveF

It would be easy to fill this list up with Mozart, but a recent discovery of mine is the unappetisingly-titled Die Schuldigkeit des ersten Gebots, which is a delight from beginning to end, and belongs on that much shorter list of works composed before the age of 12.

The further back you go, the more difficult does exact dating become, but Purcell's My beloved spake was definitely composed before 1678:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIoLEpPqJI
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

DaveF

Quote from: The new erato on October 20, 2021, 09:23:55 AM
Kudos for a Hindemith avatar.....

Thanks - I find it a rather endearing picture, of a man wearing a silly costume and holding a bassoon, and thinking, if his expression is anything to go by, "This is the last time I offer to play in the Boy Scouts' Christmas Concert."

The new erato

Quote from: DaveF on October 20, 2021, 10:39:59 PM
Thanks - I find it a rather endearing picture,

I do as well. I  always rather loved Hndemith as a rather down to earth person in a business dominated by big egos, and as a man of sound principles and moral posture.

DaveF

And, what's more, Hindemith's first String Quartet is dated 1915 which, given that the composer was born late in 1895, probably qualifies it for my list.