More than 1 hour
3 (13.6%)
Whatever it takes for the work to be performed
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

As an opera fan, my attention span better be long...and it usually, but not always, is.

I've followed performances of e.g. Parsifal and Die Meistersinger without my attention wavering at all, but have also dozed off in Tristan and much shorter works. So, the answer is: "it depends"  ;). On what does it depend? I really don't know... ::)

And good evening to you, Florestan. Good to read you on GMG.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 17, 2021, 09:48:40 AM
good evening to you, Florestan. Good to read you on GMG.  :)

Thanks and likewise!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brahmsian

My attention span is about......... Oh wait..... Let me get back to you..... Just got a text..... And checking my Facebook.... Instagram........ Twitter........ TikTok.

:P :D

greg

What is this question?

It's as long as I find something interesting. That's why it can be hard to pay attention in somewhere like school, where you are forced to take classes you don't care for, compared to going on a random deep dive marathon for two hours after midnight because you randomly get burning curiosity about something that won't let you sleep.

Or is this just about music? Similar answer would apply.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Jo498

It horribly suffered through computers and the internet. I can do long pieces, like operas or St. Matthew in concerts but I rarely go to concerts nowadays and on recordings I usually split them up.
So I'd say about one disc or about one hour, although I can get already impatient, the longer Mahler symphonies or Bruckner 8 do try my patience sometimes. Fortunately most of my favorites pieces are of the typical suite/sonata/concerto/symphony length, i.e. 10-45 min. and often split into shorter segments of 2-15 min. I think my attention span is good enough for most of them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

Whatever it takes for the work to be performed.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Maestro267

Realistically, and as much as I wish it was longer, 30-60 minutes is probably it. It's going to be much less if I can't do anything else while listening to music. I have to be doing something with my hands and eyes, even if it's following along with the libretto. But sometimes I have to take time off doing that for a scene or two.

greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eb-0VYN0k8

Your baseline attention span may be largely determined by your biological clock/circadian rhythm. This is one thing that I think society largely doesn't understand or hasn't realized yet. The rest of the factors determining attention may be other things such as personal interest, but that's secondary.

People with ADHD and people with ADD have the same problem, the former are extroverts and the latter are introverts. They are both stimulation-seeking, but one is more external (hyperactivity) and the other one is more internal (daydreaming). They seek stimulation constantly as a way to stay awake and avoid falling asleep due to their bodies thinking that their bedtime is 2am, while they have to wake up at 7am like everyone else (and others may easily get a great sleep because their bodies say that 11pm is bedtime), so their baseline attentiveness (which is really just wakefulness) is higher.

So the price of creating a society with a well-regulated clock (where everyone has the same schedule) is that some people will be left out due to their biological mismatch. Some of us may have inherited some sort of genes to become nocturnal, which may have historically been beneficial towards helping to keep night watch for protecting the tribe, or whatever other reason. So getting this gene is maladaptive to modern society for the most part. If you can get lucky enough to work evening shifts (helped me greatly in the past before), then that might help your attention span.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mirror Image

I chose 30 minutes to an hour, but this is pushing it I think.

Gurn Blanston

Oh well, I'm bored 🥱🥱...

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

Almost infinite, simply as long as I want.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

bhodges

Having listened to a number of Wagner operas live, as well as some of Feldman's longer works, I had to choose the last one. (PS, I do think it's fair to know the approximate running time of a work, to shore yourself up mentally. "Would you like to hear Feldman's Second String Quartet?" is a little disingenuous if the invitee doesn't know it's six hours long.)

--Bruce

The new erato

My attention span is.......what was the question again?

Brian

I chose more than 1 hour because my favorite TV show is "Columbo" and that's 75 minutes.  8)

Jo498

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2021, 11:27:26 AM
I chose more than 1 hour because my favorite TV show is "Columbo" and that's 75 minutes.  8)
With how many commercial breaks? ;)
It's been ages, but I saw a few Columbo episodes on German TV long ago, I'd have thought they had a more rounded duration like an hour or 90 min. Maybe 90 min with commercials (although we used to have far fewer commercials?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on October 18, 2021, 12:02:43 PM
With how many commercial breaks? ;)
It's been ages, but I saw a few Columbo episodes on German TV long ago, I'd have thought they had a more rounded duration like an hour or 90 min. Maybe 90 min with commercials (although we used to have far fewer commercials?
When they originally aired, there were two lengths, 72 minutes which became 90 minutes with commercials and 95 minutes which became 120 with ads. I have the DVD set so I am not sure if they still use those advertisement times when broadcasting today. Have heard that some episodes have had scenes cut to fit more commercials.

Sergeant Rock

My favorite composers are Wagner, Mahler, Bruckner, and so: Whatever it takes...

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vers la flamme

Whatever it takes. But it depends on the day.

amw

Three to five minutes without caffeine. 30 to 180 minutes with caffeine, depending on dosage.

During tolerance break days I mostly function via multitasking.