Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Novitiate on August 30, 2007, 08:37:13 AM
No. 5. Elgar, Cello Concerto
that's the one i could've gotten right by myself, i guess 1/6 isn't so bad  8)

Mark G. Simon

#4-- Schumann's portrait of Chopin from Karneval

(edit: Schumann actually spells it Carnaval)

(I think this is my final answer :) )

Mark G. Simon

#6-- Falla Harpsichord Concerto, the first page.

Mark G. Simon

#2 -- The scherzo of Nielsen's Sinfonia semplice (ie no. 6)

Larry Rinkel

And our composer and clarinettist who used to post as diegobueno cleans up!

Gotta challenge you guys a bit more tonight...   :D

And since you've all done so well, here are 8 more. Sorry about the low light in the pics, I should've used the flash. But I think they're readable. This'll probably be it for me, since it's a bit of work to take the scores down from the shelf, photograph them, crop, save, upload, and then put all the scores back on the shelf. Sigh.

Composers all are well-known, but some not as well-known as in the first set.

Larry Rinkel

10-13:

Larry Rinkel

14-16:

Maciek

Novi

No. 15. Monteverdi, L'Orfeo?
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

lukeottevanger

Not been around much lately, and only just saw this thread. *sigh* - I could have got all the previous ones. Being a bit of a score obsessive has its advantages. Larry's latest:

7) - Rzewski - The People United.... (btw, there are some great free Rzewski scores to be had online)
8) - Brahms G major sextet op 36 (last mvt)
9) - Wozzeck - Act III interlude (climax thereof)
10) - is indeed Mahler 9
11) - Le Marteau sans maitre
12) - this is the only one eluding me at present
13) - Carter, Quartet no 1
14) - orchestration, figuration and textures (and print style) look like Shostakovich (#14?) though I can't place it off-hand
15) - is indeed Orfeo

lukeottevanger

oops.only just saw no 16

Elgar  - String Quartet

(E.E. certainly did like his E minor, it seems)

Maciek

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 30, 2007, 04:21:46 PM
8) - Brahms G major sextet op 36 (last mvt)

Note to self: next time get up and get the disc, you won't need to be kicking yourself later. :P

lukeottevanger

slight alteration - the Shostakovich is no 15, not no 14

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 30, 2007, 04:36:36 PM
slight alteration - the Shostakovich is no 15, not no 14

That's right. The ending of the Shosty 15, where all the toys in the toy shop have woken up in the middle of the night.

OK, then. Luke did extremely well as expected, and the other guessers were correct too. Much too easy. One more to go. Let's see who gets #12.

I'm giving you one more, since I had it photographed.

lukeottevanger

One question - is no 12 Nielsen? It looks like him, in scoring and other musical details but also - and this is a powerful factor here, as with the Shostakovich - in the actual printing style: this particular handwritten look reminds me of some other Nielsen scores I have, just as the fonts and layout of the Shos score told me straightaway it was him...

Anyway, because of this, crazy as it sounds, I can't go beyond thinking 'it must be Nielsen' - so tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree. ;D

(Woof.)

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 30, 2007, 05:26:46 PM
One question - is no 12 Nielsen? It looks like him, in scoring and other musical details but also - and this is a powerful factor here, as with the Shostakovich - in the actual printing style: this particular handwritten look reminds me of some other Nielsen scores I have, just as the fonts and layout of the Shos score told me straightaway it was him...

Anyway, because of this, crazy as it sounds, I can't go beyond thinking 'it must be Nielsen' - so tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree. ;D

(Woof.)

It's not Nielsen. But you're not entirely cold, either geographically or alphabetically.

lukeottevanger

Well, that's confused me!

Your new one looks like Gorecki 3. Not a score I have, but here was my thought process:

1) this score 'looks' Polish (layout, fonts, abbreviations etc) (that primal, visual thing again)

2) it has all the hallmarks of the Gorecki 3 last movement (thick parallel motion in the strings, low-lying quasi-recit in the soprano, with notes picked out above in harp and piano) Also it is in the right key.

So I checked it and it looked right.

M forever

Could #12 be early Lutosławski? Not a piece I have heard, but reading the score, I am thinking it may not be too far away from something like that.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 30, 2007, 05:50:24 PM
Well, that's confused me!

Your new one looks like Gorecki 3. Not a score I have, but here was my thought process:

1) this score 'looks' Polish (layout, fonts, abbreviations etc) (that primal, visual thing again)

2) it has all the hallmarks of the Gorecki 3 last movement (thick parallel motion in the strings, low-lying quasi-recit in the soprano, with notes picked out above in harp and piano) Also it is in the right key.

So I checked it and it looked right.

And the text is in Polish! yes, it's the Gorecki 3, near the end.

And no, Michael, Luke's guess was warmer than yours.

Luke, why not give us some items from your no doubt huge score library.

M forever

Oh, I think I know what it is. It is one of the later Pettersson symphonies. I don't remember which number, maybe 6 or 7, but I think I actually played that piece a long, long time ago. I didn't see that second page at first, but I just looked at it again and scrolled over to the right. That seems to have triggered some deeply buried (mostly bad) memories of the piece.