Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Sfz 25 - Berlioz, Benvenuto Cellini

lukeottevanger

Sfz 26 - Hummel - Trumpet Concerto (second movement)

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 10, 2008, 05:53:06 AM
No 243 is the one which takes over Ravel's Jeux d'eau* entirely but uses it as the frame for another, very famous song.

whoo boy. I've seen this score, and I can't remember whodunit, except he's Italian. The song is "I'm Singin in the Rain".

lukeottevanger

lukeottevanger

Sfz 21 - Bernstein - Serenade (after Plato's Symposium), fourth movement, 'Agathon'

J.Z. Herrenberg

#243 Salvatore Sciarrino - De la nuit
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

lukeottevanger

oops! I mean, no, it isn't. Right composer, though.  :-[

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 10, 2008, 06:51:33 AM
Well stolen found!  ;D

Sorry, Mark... 0:)

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 10, 2008, 06:52:19 AM
oops! I mean, no, it isn't. Right composer, though.  :-[

Darn!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

lukeottevanger

That's the bunny! Want to hear it?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 10, 2008, 07:00:33 AM
That's the bunny! Want to hear it?

Yes, please!

Later: it is as if you are in a nightclub for campy intellectuals...

lukeottevanger

lukeottevanger

It's a funny recording (Damerini) - it makes a repeat not marked in the score; also, the bottom of my sample page, which comes shortly before the end and is quite clearly, even from my sight-reading, a cleverly-distributed rendering of Singin' in the rain's jaunted dotted rhythm 'ritornello'  (  ;D ;D ;D ;D ) - well, that reference doesn't come out at all here, which is a pity.

J.Z. Herrenberg

#224 Villa-Lobos - Amazonas

And that 'nightingale with a cold' piece must be called something like 'Rhume'?

lukeottevanger

The Villa-Lobos piece is right  :)

Don't get too sidetracked by the nightingale side of things - what you should concentrate on is the fact that all the constituent parts of this piece have titles beginning with the same letter.

lukeottevanger

Sfz 12 - this one took too long! I was sure it must be something by Roussel, but got sidetracked on the Padmavati line-of-enquiry. Getting frustrated I checked my other scores by Roussel and found this passage at the beginning of Le festin de l'araignée - though it doesn't look quite the same in the piano reduction. Feeling a bit stupid that I didn't remember it before, especially when I had got as far as Roussel already.  :-[

(poco) Sforzando

Don't feel bad, Luke. I'm still totally in the dark.

But so that Luke can get a taste of his own medicine, here are my first set of no doubt "easy" clues to help you get the rest of mine. (All of Luke's identifications are of course correct.)

sfz14 If anyone should know this, it would be Maciek.

sfz15 A well-known and oft-reviled composer, much more famous for musical depictions related to his native country than this South American one

sfz16 It's a symphony whose nickname is not related to the nationality of its (American) composer, and the composer is best known for a name assumed later in life than the birth name.

sfz17 Also known as a college professor of composition, he had an association with a very great composer late in this composer's life, but it wasn't nearly as notorious as a similar relationship a non-composer had with another very great composer who lived not far from the first one.

sfz18 Jezetha might know this, though the composer is at least as well known as a scholar of Mozart and Beethoven.

sfz19 Another symphony whose (American) title has no relation to the composer's nationality.

sfz20 Take a vowel away from the name of one well-known composer, and you've got this composer's name.

sfz22 A well-known name here, but not as a composer. This work was written early in his life.

sfz24 For the piano to be sure, but not really piano music.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Mark G. Simon

Bch
Hydn
Bethoven
Chopn
Brhms
Faré
Lgar
Dvork
Bartk
Debssy