Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Update on mine - they are all findable within the last 3-5 pages, I think

1 - Chisholm - Piobaireachd - identified
2 - Foulds - Gandharva  - identified
3 - Faure - Souvernirs de Bayreuth - identified

4 - This is from a set of variations, so try to guess the theme and it should be quite easy to find
5 - Larry got the Watergate connection; the form being employed here ought to be clear with some closer inspection - and that is the title of the piece.
6 - Awesome piece by composer of the longest piano sonata I know.
7 - Composer is clearly an artist too! Originally played on a paper trumpet...
8 - Steiner - Casablance Suite - identified
9 - The composer's wife and daughter are also composers. This piece is obviously connected to William Blake, and so are many of this composer's works.
10 - Schulz-Evler - Arabesque on the Blue Danube - identified
11 - Rossini peches de viellesse - identified

12 - I already said that some of these scores have their names all over them... This ought to be easy.
13 - This one doesn't and isn't, and it's pretty obscure, I admit. But not impossible. Microtonal, quartet plus voice...
14 - L Andriessen - Hoketus - identified
15 - Arlen - The Wizard of Oz - identified

16 - An exquisitely beautiful piece of dodecaphony by  famously irrascible British composer with an even more famous father. The date and text are enough to get this one, I think. Composer has been identified: Elisabeth Lutyens. The piece remains. It's worth identifying, because it is gorgeous.
17 - Perhaps the most famous encore of all? I mean that literally - this piece was known as an encore, identified with one particular player.
18 - There are proper Sherlock-Holmes style clues in the music. Decode them and you will find it easier to identify.
19 - Practically-unknown piece by a famous composer (I only discovered it myself a few weeks ago, and I thought I knew every note this composer had written, including all the obscurities). However, if you play it through you will see that it bears his hallmarks, and it is therefore quite easy to identify. I've left a clue as to what it is at the top of the page.

Luke

As chance would have it, I have just stumbled across a score I hadn't seen before, and recognised it as one posted here a few pages ago - I can't quite remember where, but I think Karl posted it, a piece which on the page he gave appeared to be for voice, flute and strings, 3/4, E major key sig. It's Hindemith, Die junge Magd, which youtube is playing to me now, and most delightful it is. I didn't know it till now - thanks, Karl!

listener

informal bump from the clues mainly
no. 6 Sorabji?     no.12 Havergal Brian: The  Tigers?

my 13-8 -the timeliness reference is now out of date
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Luke

listener

Luke #17   CASALS: Song of the Birds
#6 might be DUKAS, I can't find the post now, guessing from having uncovered an LP that contains it alone
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Luke

The Casals is right. The sonata is not the Dukas, and is much more recent. The CD recording of it has a shockingly bad (but I think quite funny and appropriate) cover which, just possibly, I remember featuring on the 'Worst Artwork' thread, or a previous incarnation of that thread.

amw

Quote from: Luke on July 15, 2015, 03:16:58 AM
The CD recording of it has a shockingly bad (but I think quite funny and appropriate) cover which, just possibly, I remember featuring on the 'Worst Artwork' thread, or a previous incarnation of that thread.
Oh, him! I don't know his work at all so I won't guess this piece, but when someone figures it out we should definitely post that cover, possibly the greatest (?) work of art to adorn a CD case ever

Luke

It's a weird picture, but somehow it's (literal) iconoclasm and violent energy suits what is an amazingly ambitious piece from a composer whose creative fecundity as revealed in his score simply staggers me. My clue mentions this piece to lead us to the composer, remember, because the score I posted is not from that particular sonata, but from a piece with, again, a zany, astonishing fecundity of invention and just so many notes.....

Luke

His scores are free on IMSLP, by the way, if you feel like investigating.

lescamil

19 is Messiaen's Morceau de lecture à vue. A charming little sight-reading piece (literally).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8PoPgXVOCY
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Luke

Yes, that is correct, of course. Can't believe I hadn't known that piece till relatively recently.  :-[

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on August 19, 2015, 08:05:05 AM
Yes, that is correct, of course. Can't believe I hadn't known that piece till relatively recently.  :-[

Considering all the music you know . . . you leave us all in the dust, dear fellow!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

EigenUser

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

listener

Could the first one be the "sheep episode" in R. STRAUSS' Don Quixote?

EigenUser

Quote from: listener on September 18, 2015, 02:26:35 PM
Could the first one be the "sheep episode" in R. STRAUSS' Don Quixote?
Nope, not even close (sorry!). Then again, I'm not familiar with that work.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ComposerOfAvantGarde

The second one isn't by Debussy or Ravel is it? Somehow it looks French.

Luke

As I just promised on my almost-dead-thread, a couple of lovely ones I just found the other day (both from the same set) to say hello and to wish everyone a happy new year!

:) :)

Karl Henning

No genuine clue, but my brain likes the exercise of reading each note on a different clef  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on January 01, 2016, 08:06:56 AM
No genuine clue, but my brain likes the exercise of reading each note on a different clef  8)

Perhaps written for a sight reading test at the Conservatoire?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 01, 2016, 10:58:01 AM
Perhaps written for a sight reading test at the Conservatoire?

And the second measure, simply in treble clef all through, is a literal repeat.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA