Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Luke

That's actually the one I thought it might be, believe it or not, based on my memory of the string quartet part it has (???)

Luke

No one else looks like Takemitsu on the page. It was easy to identify him, at least, even if not the piece, once I looked properly (I hadn't enlarged it until now).

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: EigenUser on January 18, 2016, 03:47:37 PM
No one has guessed this one yet? Luke?


What I love about Nate's score images is that they make me wish my head was attached sideways to my body.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

EigenUser

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 18, 2016, 06:47:39 PM
What I love about Nate's score images is that they make me wish my head was attached sideways to my body.
:laugh: :laugh:

:-[

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate them and I gave up a long time ago. I've tried adding the "rotate 90" in the picture command before and it doesn't make a difference. You have to right-click the picture and "view image". It shows up properly for me when I do that.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Luke


ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: EigenUser on January 19, 2016, 01:32:11 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

:-[

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate them and I gave up a long time ago. I've tried adding the "rotate 90" in the picture command before and it doesn't make a difference. You have to right-click the picture and "view image". It shows up properly for me when I do that.

Actually when I use an iPad instead of a computer the images are the right way up!

listener

Early spring clean, mine were just too abstruse:  the May-June waltz was the Waltz of the Gemini from Lambert's Horoscope, the Overture to Moniuszko's Halka was the other one. 
I am startled by the wide recognition of pieces I've never heard of so coming up with some that I know about is fun, like these (the solo piano is of course an arrangement)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Luke

Oooh, I don't remember even seeing those ones, though I suppose I must have done. Fun!

As is my wont when I discover something fun - it goes straight up on this old but wonderful backwater of a thread. So here is a page by my new favourite composer (well, for this evening he is, anyway).  ;)  Enjoy...

Brian

#5768
I don't know the answer...I'm posting this here so that a literate person can tell me the answer!



EDIT: Bigger, clearer photo of the label for those who might want it.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2016, 06:20:49 AM
I don't know the answer...I'm posting this here so that a literate person can tell me the answer!



You might try asking the wine producer. It has a medieval flavor, and whoever put this together has some understanding of notation, but there are some odd resolutions and clashes between the two parts that suggest this is not an actual piece.

I am more confident I can identify an avocado, a few slices of cucumber or zucchini, and what looks like some bleu cheese.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Brian

Found the solution!

"A note on the label. The music was composed by Francois Cristin, a musician friend of Didier's. It is written for trumpet (b flat major) and french horn (f major). The first line is the theme, which is taken from a famous song by Georges Brassens, and the next four lines are Cristin's personal interpretation of that theme."

Bigger copy of the label, for those interested: http://www.polanerselections.com/sites/default/files/FDD122_1.jpg

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2016, 08:47:40 AM
Found the solution!

"A note on the label. The music was composed by Francois Cristin, a musician friend of Didier's. It is written for trumpet (b flat major) and french horn (f major). The first line is the theme, which is taken from a famous song by Georges Brassens, and the next four lines are Cristin's personal interpretation of that theme."

Bigger copy of the label, for those interested: http://www.polanerselections.com/sites/default/files/FDD122_1.jpg

Oh I see! Now it makes perfect sense. You see how the key signature for the trumpet is F, later Bb (trumpet in C or UT), while the horn has a signature of C, later F (horn in F or FA). This was not legible from the original pic. The horn in F is a transposing instrument, meaning that whatever is written actually sounds a perfect fifth lower. Mystery solved.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Luke

No guesses on my last one (a few posts up)? Anyone that plays the piano should just give it a whirl, and from that point it will be easy to work out. A piece I am still playing frequently - it always raises a smile.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 28, 2016, 08:58:12 AM
Oh I see! Now it makes perfect sense. You see how the key signature for the trumpet is F, later Bb (trumpet in C or UT), while the horn has a signature of C, later F (horn in F or FA). This was not legible from the original pic. The horn in F is a transposing instrument, meaning that whatever is written actually sounds a perfect fifth lower. Mystery solved.

I thought you might like to hear what your bottle sounds like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8iabjop5udqfoc4/Blanc%20Fum%C3%A9.wav?dl=0
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

EigenUser

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2016, 06:20:49 AM
I don't know the answer...I'm posting this here so that a literate person can tell me the answer!
Brian, it says "Blanc Fumé de Pouilly". Let me know if you need anything else.

:laugh: :P
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Luke on March 28, 2016, 12:41:05 PM
No guesses on my last one (a few posts up)? Anyone that plays the piano should just give it a whirl, and from that point it will be easy to work out. A piece I am still playing frequently - it always raises a smile.

If I had a piano I might use from time to time . . . maybe I'll have a closer look when I'm out in the woods . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Luke

Actually, just singing the top line through to yourself ought to do it. This is the last page of four, if that helps with orientation.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 03:59:22 AM
Actually, just singing the top line through to yourself ought to do it. This is the last page of four, if that helps with orientation.

Can't pinpoint it, but it looks American, ragtime-ish. Scott Joplin?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Luke

It's more a foxtrot, and not American, though clearly deeply indebted to American influences. It shares an extremely close link with another, far more famous ragtime-ish evocation from the same country, a few years earlier. The composer of the latter is one of The Great Composers...

Luke

....oh, and you of all people can definitely pinpoint it, don't worry!  :)