Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Quote from: Luke on May 24, 2023, 09:13:58 AMIt's the harmony it produces, such as the augmented triad with which your example begins, that is the  reason why this piece is actually pretty famous as one of WAM's more extreme works - and Sussmayer....or is it Sussmayr....? anyway, his completion is so tame that it seems surprisingly incongruous (to my ears) and works to undermine the piece (in my opinion).

Hmmm...I'm misremembering something....checking the score on IMSLP the incongruity isn't there, and there's no mention of Sussmayr, either. So I checked, and I'm remembering another piece (the D minor Fantasy, K397) and another editor, August Muller, whose tacked-on ending is too tactful for its own good, seeming to pull the rug from under the piece by trying to tie everything up in the least obtrusive way possible, IMO. Shame, it's such a great piece until then.

Mea culpa, Sussmayr!  :-[  I traduced you!  :-[ 

BWV 1080

Quote from: Luke on May 24, 2023, 09:13:58 AMIt's the harmony it produces, such as the augmented triad with which your example begins, that is the  reason why this piece is actually pretty famous as one of WAM's more extreme works

Yeah, just curious if the idea was to come up with the most extreme harmony over a mundane bass line - the conventional realization for the first line would be, what - something like 4/2-6 then a cadence to D, then 6/5 - 3/5 (assuming you harmonized the 16th, then cadence to A?

Luke

It's always struck me as something like that, yes - that it is such odd harmony within such a standard frame. Great piece.

BWV 1080

Another one, major piece by major composer this time

Florestan

Quote from: Luke on May 24, 2023, 09:26:57 AMHmmm...I'm misremembering something....checking the score on IMSLP the incongruity isn't there, and there's no mention of Sussmayr, either. So I checked, and I'm remembering another piece (the D minor Fantasy, K397) and another editor, August Muller, whose tacked-on ending is too tactful for its own good, seeming to pull the rug from under the piece by trying to tie everything up in the least obtrusive way possible, IMO. Shame, it's such a great piece until then.

Mea culpa, Sussmayr!  :-[  I traduced you!  :-[ 

I was greatly mystified by your previous post, Luke. It's common knowledge Sussmayr completed the Requiem but I racked my brain about what goddam minuet he also completed...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

classicalgeek

Quote from: BWV 1080 on May 24, 2023, 10:37:33 AMAnother one, major piece by major composer this time

My initial thought is something by the Second Viennese School...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Luke

Quote from: BWV 1080 on May 24, 2023, 10:37:33 AMAnother one, major piece by major composer this time

So that's a solo guitar work, it looks like - at least, despite the two staves, it's playable on a solo guitar, and the intricacies of the fingering, when deciphered, suggest it is to be played on one. But I can't find it amongst the major pieces of guitar music by major composers. The word 'on' suggests it's an English speaker... can't get more than that yet.

classicalgeek

Meanwhile, here's my second submission. Major composer, slightly lesser known work (although it shouldn't be!)

classicalgeek

Quote from: Luke on May 24, 2023, 01:01:14 PMSo that's a solo guitar work, it looks like - at least, despite the two staves, it's playable on a solo guitar, and the intricacies of the fingering, when deciphered, suggest it is to be played on one. But I can't find it amongst the major pieces of guitar music by major composers. The word 'on' suggests it's an English speaker... can't get more than that yet.

Good catch on the guitar, Luke - it makes sense now. I don't suppose any of the Second Viennese School wrote any pieces using guitar? (the use of the word 'on' notwithstanding...) That style of notation, with an accidental preceding every note, is something I've seen in a lot of Second Viennese School scores, though they weren't the only ones to use it.

Luke

There are pieces with guitar. Not as a solo AFAIK.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 24, 2023, 01:03:26 PMMeanwhile, here's my second submission. Major composer, slightly lesser known work (although it shouldn't be!)

Dvorak 5 2nd mov.

BWV 1080

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 24, 2023, 01:00:25 PMMy initial thought is something by the Second Viennese School...

the excerpt follows a scale - so not particularly 2nd viennese-ish

but the composer did write some other music in that veinn

classicalgeek

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 24, 2023, 01:40:09 PMDvorak 5 2nd mov.

You are correct! One of the most underrated symphonies of all time. ;D

Luke

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 24, 2023, 01:40:09 PMDvorak 5 2nd mov.

Damn just beat me to it - the alto trombone is a big clue

Luke

Here's one for you. This is the piano reduction (for rehearsal only) at the bottom of a choral work, which I've cut out, partly just so it's easier to read the notes, partly to deny you the text...

Luke

....and here's a really straightforward one. Glorious piece of music.

Luke

...another, equally straightforward. This is linked to the previous one in my own mind, though that probably won't help. I'll explain why later.

Luke

Another, linked to the previous in the same way. It's a full orchestral score, I've chopped off the wind and brass just so it's easier to see, but they don't contain any big clues.

Luke

The same (personal) connection with this one, plus a more obvious one to one of my last scores.

Luke

Another. This is a big orchestral score, but you're just getting a couple of bars of the flute/picc part. Connected to the others in the same way (which, as I say, probably won't help you). Famous piece.