Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Anyone in the mood for more? Time for an extra few before bed.

no 17 - say what you see....

lukeottevanger

No 18 - one of the best examples for those who say music of this type is not 'melodic', this piece reveals its composer to be a writer of truly memorable melodic lines.

lukeottevanger

No 19 - a somewhat maligned piece which I have a soft spot for. This, though, is unequivocally one of its finest sections, a great piece of musical imagination.

lukeottevanger

No 20 - I don't think much comment is required.

edit: updated with an attachment, just for Maciek, though I can't believe he can really need it...

Maciek

18 Boulez Le Soleil des eaux

Maciek

lukeottevanger

The Boulez is right, very quick work! The other one not quite.... ;D

No 21. Like my no 13 (and no 16, for that matter), this is modeled on a particular piece, but in this case every note in this piece is taken exactly from the original and then repeated and re-sorted according to certain criteria. What is the original piece, and what is this one? And for a bonus point ( ;D)  how has the composer selected which material to lift from the original? A very interesting effect is achieved here, I think, amplifying and altering the effect of the original.

lukeottevanger

No 22 Last one for today. Those are saxophones above the horns, which is clue enough, I think.

Maciek

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 02:11:52 PM
edit: updated with an attachment, just for Maciek, though I can't believe he can really need it...

Ha! That's what I call cheating! >:D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 02:11:52 PM
No 20 - I don't think much comment is required.

20 - the Ligeti violin concerto

lukeottevanger

Yes. Thought that one would go quite quickly!

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 02:41:18 PM
Yes. Thought that one would go quite quickly!

We're still mired in the first set you gave! What drives me crazy is that some look so familiar but I can't place them!

greg

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on August 31, 2007, 02:40:09 PM
20 - the Ligeti violin concerto
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
yeah, i would've gotten that one easy  8)
the other ones are pretty hard

n22- saxophones over horn, huh?
debussy, ravel, prokofiev- 3 guesses here  ;D

lukeottevanger

Right generation, Greg, but wrong nationality. The harmony is a big clue as to both nationality and composer in this one I think.

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on August 31, 2007, 02:44:16 PM
We're still mired in the first set you gave! What drives me crazy is that some look so familiar but I can't place them!

Which ones? I can try to give some gentle hints if you like - it's so frustrating when you know that you know it!

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 02:47:45 PM
Right generation, Greg, but wrong nationality. The harmony is a big clue as to both nationality and composer in this one I think.

Which ones? I can try to give some gentle hints if you like - it's so frustrating when you know that you know it!

Any, any! I think these are a lot harder than most of mine, frankly! How about 17 and 19?

Is the E minor piece American? it looks like a Schirmer type of engraving.

No - 22 is the ending of the first movement of the RVW 9. Positive!  :D

lukeottevanger

17 - try to determine the nationality (there are clues), and then see what the music is doing. As far as I know there is only one well-known piece which ticks both boxes. It's a very well-known little piece.

19 - this is standard mid-19th century repertoire. The 7/4 time may be a clue to you, it may not.

The E minor piece is not American, no. It is an OUP score. Which may be a clue in itself.

Maciek

lukeottevanger

I don't think mine are necessarily trickier than yours, Larry - it's just that, by definition, you know the ones you put up, and I know these ones! I had trouble with some of yours - the Carmen one was harder than it should have been, and of course I had to cheat on 'number 20'; the Stockhausen one didn't come straightaway either, and I didn't get the Pettersson even though I should have. The Carter came only because 1)  'scorrevole' is a very Carterian term and 2) there looked to be little difference between mvts 1 and 2 - and of course that structural feature is one of the 1st quartet's most noteworthy aspects (the 'breaks' come in the middle of movements rather than in between)

FWIW, there are some pieces among mine which I am sure you know, because you have either mentioned them in the past (there's one here which I know you dislike, I am afraid!) or because I know you are well-informed on the relevant composer in particular. Have you worked out which one is the Scelsi yet? It's worth bearing in mind that he thought of notes as being like comets - not as little blobs, but as leaving a trace, a vector across the page as they move in time. I think there is one of mine which suits that description well. BTW, I think I'm right that you don't think too much of Scelsi (am I?) but he isn't who I meant when I said that I know you dislike one of the pieces.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 03:06:30 PM
17 - try to determine the nationality (there are clues), and then see what the music is doing. As far as I know there is only one well-known piece which ticks both boxes. It's a very well-known little piece.

19 - this is standard mid-19th century repertoire. The 7/4 time may be a clue to you, it may not.

The E minor piece is not American, no. It is an OUP score. Which may be a clue in itself.

Read my post as modified! I got it for sure.

lukeottevanger

Yes, you did, Larry - that's the right answer. That Phrygian inflection in parallel motion is very RVW...

Quote from: Maciek on August 31, 2007, 03:14:20 PM
17 - Spanish? De Falla??

No, but getting warmer.