Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 03:17:08 PM
I don't think mine are necessarily trickier than yours, Larry - it's just that, by definition, you know the ones you put up, and I know these ones! I had trouble with some of yours - the Carmen one was harder than it should have been, and of course I had to cheat on 'number 20'; the Stockhausen one didn't come straightaway either, and I didn't get the Pettersson even though I should have. The Carter came only because 1)  'scorrevole' is a very Carterian term and 2) there looked to be little difference between mvts 1 and 2 - and of course that structural feature is one of the 1st quartet's most noteworthy aspects (the 'breaks' come in the middle of movements rather than in between)

Give me time, give me time.

I knew Carmen would be hard - it's such a familiar piece, but this is a part not included in most scores.

I'm just joking with you, Luke - I'm sure all yours are every bit as reasonable as mine. That 7/4 thing looks very familiar! so does #17!!!

lukeottevanger

Yes, Larry, you know the 7/4 one, I am sure, and at the very least five of the others, I am almost positive (not to imply that you can't know the others, of course, I am only going on what I know of your listening habits). Anyway, updated results...

1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - Feldman - Why Patterns (Mark)
4 - Khachaturian - Piano Concerto - (Mark)
5 - Ferneyhough - ? - (Larry)
6 - Schoenberg - Jakobsleiter - (Larry)
7 - Part - If Bach had been a beekeeper - (Karl)
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - Xenakis - Oresteia - (Greg)
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - Nancarrow - Player piano study (37) - (Mark)
16 - Tippett - 3rd Symphony - (Mark)
17 - ?
18 - Boulez - Le soleil des eaux (Maciek)
19 - ?
20 - Ligeti - Violin Concerto (Larry)
21 - ?
22 - Vaughan Williams - Symphony 9 - (Larry)

Larry Rinkel

21 looks like a Schott score, maybe from Stravinsky's neoclassic period. I was hoping it was Dumbarton Oaks, but it's not.

The 7/4 could be from Pelleas, given the pattern of exact repetition. But the German note makes me dubious.

Larry Rinkel

lukeottevanger

14 is Ives, yes.

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on August 31, 2007, 03:32:34 PM
21 looks like a Schott score, maybe from Stravinsky's neoclassic period. I was hoping it was Dumbarton Oaks, but it's not.

The 7/4 could be from Pelleas, given the pattern of exact repetition. But the German note makes me dubious.

21 is a Chester score. The clue to the composer, or at least the style, is in the method of construction, as I said. Try playing the melody line through without its repeating figures to find the source.

An interesting observation about the 7/4 - it isn't Pelleas, but this is a composer often said to be a forerunner to Debussy in some respects.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 03:44:17 PM
14 is Ives, yes.

21 is a Chester score. The clue to the composer, or at least the style, is in the method of construction, as I said. Try playing the melody line through without its repeating figures to find the source.

An interesting observation about the 7/4 - it isn't Pelleas, but this is a composer often said to be a forerunner to Debussy in some respects.

I'm tempted to say Mussorgsky, but I think that's not right. It looks so familiar! I probably should just sleep on these clues and maybe something will pop into my head later tonight or tomorrow.

Is 21 Stravinsky?

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on August 31, 2007, 03:51:58 PM
I'm tempted to say Mussorgsky, but I think that's not right. It looks so familiar! I probably should just sleep on these clues and maybe something will pop into my head later tonight or tomorrow.

Is 21 Stravinsky?

No, sorry. Not a million miles away, in some respects, though.

Mussorgsky isn't it either for the 7/4, but you're certainly beating around the correct bush.  ;) Sleep on it, certainly - I know I should be going to bed right now!

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 03:58:57 PM
No, sorry. Not a million miles away, in some respects, though.

Mussorgsky isn't it either for the 7/4, but you're certainly beating around the correct bush.  ;) Sleep on it, certainly - I know I should be going to bed right now!

I got the 7/4! It's the Liszt Dante Symphony. Won't spill the beans on how I finally figured it out, but I'm positive now.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on August 31, 2007, 02:01:41 PM
Anyone in the mood for more? Time for an extra few before bed.

no 17 - say what you see....

17 - Villa Lobos Bachianas Brasilieras 2?

Larry Rinkel

Is the Ferneyhough Lemma-Icon-Epigram? it looks like piano music.

lukeottevanger

Correct on the Liszt and the Villa-Lobos!

The Ferneyhough is not Lemma-Icon-Epigram (which is quite a bit more complicated, though still not BF at his most extreme) - in fact it isn't piano music (look a little closer...). Once you have the instrument the possible pieces are reduced to one.

Actually, the reason this piece isn't quite as complex as most other Ferneyhough pieces is partly to do with the instrument, which is another clue, I suppose.

greg

17- at first glance, looks like a possible Bartok piece i haven't heard, but it has a slight feeling of pointillism, the second name that comes to mind is Dallapiccola, but the one piece I've heard by him isn't very pointillistic, more lyrical. Ok, here's a wild guess, Nono? is it mid-20th century or early?

greg

ok, i'm going to start posting some myself  8)
BUT, i'm erasing certain obvious clues, like movement title, work titles, and composers name  :P

Maciek

It's a bit small and difficult to read. :-\ Knowing your tastes, it should be Xenakis - but I've never seen a Xenakis score, so can't tell. 0:) (It does look a bit too simple though...? ;D)

(Why am I even posting in this thread? I feel like a total fool...)

greg

This one will be really hard, let me just give you all two clues: 1) this piece is obscure, i've never heard it so i'll be impressed if you can guess just the composer, 2) the English comments might throw you off

lukeottevanger

Greg, Larry got my no 17...

Only 8 unattributed ones remain! :)

1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - Feldman - Why Patterns (Mark)
4 - Khachaturian - Piano Concerto - (Mark)
5 - Ferneyhough - ? - (Larry)
6 - Schoenberg - Jakobsleiter - (Larry)
7 - Part - If Bach had been a beekeeper - (Karl)
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - Xenakis - Oresteia - (Greg)
13 - ?
14 - Ives - ? - (Larry)
15 - Nancarrow - Player piano study (37) - (Mark)
16 - Tippett - 3rd Symphony - (Mark)
17 - Villa-Lobos - Bachainas Brasileras 2 (the train one...) - (Larry)
18 - Boulez - Le soleil des eaux (Maciek)
19 - Liszt - Dante Symphony - (Larry)
20 - Ligeti - Violin Concerto (Larry)
21 - ?
22 - Vaughan Williams - Symphony 9 - (Larry)

now to be stumped by Greg's....

Maciek

greg

Quote from: Maciek on September 01, 2007, 05:53:47 AM
It's a bit small and difficult to read. :-\ Knowing your tastes, it should be Xenakis - but I've never seen a Xenakis score, so can't tell. 0:) (It does look a bit too simple though...? ;D)

(Why am I even posting in this thread? I feel like a total fool...)
a lot of the scores i've gotten from online image searches, so yeah, unfortuanetely they are a bit small  :(
it isn't Xenakis, but it is contemporary
hey, you got #18 when i couldn't, that's not bad   8)

Maciek

Hooray! I'm logging off with a smile on my face. :D 8)