Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: greg on September 01, 2007, 06:13:38 AM
this composer isn't one of the "leading composers", but just look at the style of the score, thinking of the time period, and think of all the possible composers, that should help you narrow it down.

Atonal, expressionistic, highly contrapuntal, post-Schoenbergian. If it's not a "leading composer," I'd take a wild guess and wonder if it's someone like Krenek.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: greg on September 01, 2007, 06:23:57 AM
correct!
you're very close..... i've never heard of "six pianos"

Piano Phase.

greg

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 01, 2007, 06:30:57 AM
Piano Phase.
correct!

let me see if this comes in clear, and not too big, first......
if it's ok, i won't have to edit it

so, this one is very easy if you've heard it- all you have to do is find the right "thing" in the score and you've got it!

greg

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 01, 2007, 06:29:30 AM
Atonal, expressionistic, highly contrapuntal, post-Schoenbergian. If it's not a "leading composer," I'd take a wild guess and wonder if it's someone like Krenek.
Krenek....... the name actually sounds close to the name of this composer

not edward

Quote from: greg on September 01, 2007, 06:07:16 AM
here's a really fun one!
First movement of the Ligeti viola sonata.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Guido

Larry - no.20 - Carl Maria von Weber -  Grosse Sonate n.2 in la bemolle maggiore. Just remembered the title of the movement, rather than recognising the music.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Guido on September 01, 2007, 06:38:40 AM
Larry - no.20 - Carl Maria von Weber -  Grosse Sonate n.2 in la bemolle maggiore. Just remembered the title of the movement, rather than recognising the music.

Doesn't matter how you get it, so long as you get it.

Well, I'm off for a while, but since you guys are all throwing such challenges at each other, I'll start digging into my really obscure stuff this weekend. (Oh, I said I would stop. Yeah, right.)

Maybe at this point someone can tally all the ones not identified yet.

greg

Quote from: edward on September 01, 2007, 06:37:49 AM
First movement of the Ligeti viola sonata.
you quoted the wrong post, but yeah, that's g4  ;D

results so far:

g1- ?
g2- Takemitsu- Distance (Maciek)
g3- Reich- Piano Phase (Larry)
g4- Ligeti- Viola Sonata (Edward)
g5- Adams- Phrygian Gates (Guido)
g6- ?
g7- ?

Guido

ok. I'll do some. These are the only ones I have on my computer currently, but I'll take some pictures soon:

The first one, even I don't know - I think I know the composer, but not the piece!
Geologist.

greg

Guido

Luke - I think the Ives piece (no.14?) is the wonderful Three Places in New England, and I would guess probably the third movement if forced to.
Geologist.

Guido

3 certainly not right, not sure about 1, but not the composer I thought it was at least! I have some vague feeling that it's Scriabin, but I can't remember why.
Geologist.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Guido on September 01, 2007, 06:53:12 AM
3 certainly not right, not sure about 1, but not the composer I thought it was at least! I have some vague feeling that it's Scriabin, but I can't remember why.

Your 3 looks like Ives, 1 most likely not Scriabin.

Guido

Ives is right. Page numbering is a clue as to the title (possibly!) (and the cluster chords only actually appear in a few works).
Geologist.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Guido on September 01, 2007, 06:50:55 AM
Luke - I think the Ives piece (no.14?) is the wonderful Three Places in New England, and I would guess probably the third movement if forced to.

Correct. I finally found my copy.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Guido on September 01, 2007, 07:13:06 AM
Ives is right. Page numbering is a clue as to the title (possibly!) (and the cluster chords only actually appear in a few works).

The first page of something!  :D

greg

#1 looks like a Ligeti Etude, possibly... let me look real quick

lukeottevanger

Damn, I've missed a few I knew!!

Guido is right on my Ives example, and Larry on the Ferneyhough piece

Guido's no 1 looks like Sorabji - I'm guessing the Sonata no 1

his no 2 like Schumann - I'm guessing the E flat variations  ;)

and his no 3 is Ives but not the Concord Sonata, despite the clusters
...oh, just seen the vocal line, so I'm guessing a song!! ;) - the first of the 114??? (whose name I forget)

Greg, is your 7th one Prokofiev...PC 2 perhaps?

lukeottevanger

I know the tune on Greg's no 7, but can't place it...but I'm sticking with my Prokofiev PC2 guess.

Now I have to go again. Hope I don't miss too much!

Guido

You're right Luke - it's the first of the 114 - one of his best actually (though there are so many good ones - his songs are surely one of the greatest collections of any composer.
Geologist.