Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 12:43:22 PM
Are we still missing any from the earlier pages?

no. 6 of mine is also not yet solved.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

Some more from me to be going on with

LO 23 - easy if you know it, which I suspect many of you do

lukeottevanger

LO 24 - follow clues - style? composer? handwriting? clues inherent in the music?

lukeottevanger

Lo 25 - has all the distinctive hallmarks of the composer, so you only really need to track down the piece

lukeottevanger

LO 26 - this is a relatively obscure piece, but there is an easy way to track it down even if you've never heard it.

lukeottevanger

lukeottevanger

LO 28 - especially heard in context, a really breathtaking piece of orchestration, IMO

lukeottevanger

LO 29

lukeottevanger

LO 30 - an early piece, rather experimental but not typical of the mature style. BTW, this is not a trio  but a piece for string ensemble.

Larry Rinkel

lukeottevanger

LO 31

lukeottevanger

lukeottevanger

LO 32 - you'll forgive me if I agree with Rubbra that this is a pretty ridiculous fugue subject.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 02:03:39 PM
LO 26 - this is a relatively obscure piece, but there is an easy way to track it down even if you've never heard it.

Dvorak - Romance - Andante con moto quasi allegretto - 2nd movement from String Quartet No. 5 in F minor, Op. 9

Hey, mebbe we should get a few more answers before throwing out any more examples!

I've got 5 unanswered still!!  :D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 02:34:54 PM
LO 32 - you'll forgive me if I agree with Rubbra that this is a pretty ridiculous fugue subject.

The whole overblown thing is pretty ridiculous, but then most everything I've heard of his is.

Reger op. 132, variations on a little tiny theme from Mozart's K 331.

Larry Rinkel

lukeottevanger

LO 33

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 02:35:46 PM
Dvorak - Romance - Andante con moto quasi allegretto - 2nd movement from String Quartet No. 5 in F minor, Op. 9

Hey, mebbe we should get a few more answers before throwing out any more examples!

I've got 5 unanswered still!!  :D

Correct on Dvorak SQ, Reger and Tavener - which latter leaves me with 5 unanswered of my first 22 also. Remind me which ones of yours remain, though I don't think I'll be able to do them!

EDIT - actually, not quite correct on the Tavener title.

lukeottevanger

Last one, Larry

LO 34

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 02:46:20 PM
Correct on Dvorak SQ, Reger and Tavener - which latter leaves me with 5 unanswered of my first 22 also. Remind me which ones of yours remain, though I don't think I'll be able to do them!

EDIT - actually, not quite correct on the Tavener title.

I'll live with the Taverner. My LR21-24, 26 remain unanswered. (I think we're all getting more obscure as this goes on.)

Clues on my 5 unanswered ones, just to move this along:

2 are from operas
1 is by a woman
2 are by the same composer
1 was greatly admired by Brahms
1 is British
1 is American
2 are string quartets (big help there)
All composer last names begin with consonants
All composer first names begin with consonants
3 composer first names have only four letters