Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 03:56:31 PM
[to Larry]

That's right - not much of a clue, I know - it could just as easily be the be the James Bond theme (though in the major mode)! But when combined with this kind of texture and melodic material, at least to my ears it's quite a specific sound, and I could probably cite you other similar instances of its use, except that that would give the game away. This theme first appears on a solo clarinet at the beginning of the movement; this is the start of its climactic restatement (it grows from here).

As in the Liebestraum by Liszt - I'm going to guess this is a Liszt tone poem I maybe don't know.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 04:27:35 PM
Is your latest from Bolcom's Songs of Experience? I recognise my Blake, and I recognise the words 'Rock singer'. Ergo.....

Too easy. Now how about my other four? You've had clues galore.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 04:34:02 PM
As in the Liebestraum by Liszt - I'm going to guess this is a Liszt tone poem I maybe don't know.

No, sorry. Maybe my one clue was confusing in any case - it's probably more related to my own hearing habits than to musical fact.

Try further east.

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 04:34:34 PM
Too easy. Now how about my other four? You've had clues galore.

Does that mean my Bolcom guess was right or wrong?

Re. your other four. I've been working on them, believe me! I don't think I'm going to get them, at least not soon. But I've got the other three of that set of seven, so I'm not doing too badly. Your clues haven't been too much help, I must admit, though I was grateful that you pointed out that two were string quartets.... :P

lukeottevanger

Don't worry, I've just confirmed with the Bolcom CD.

lukeottevanger

BTW, I am still waiting for my numbers 1, 9, 10, 13 and 21 (particularly surprised about 1 and 10), as well as my new ones 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, and 34 - and I've given clues galore! More clues on request.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 04:39:04 PM
No, sorry. Maybe my one clue was confusing in any case - it's probably more related to my own hearing habits than to musical fact.

Try further east.

Does that mean my Bolcom guess was right or wrong?

Re. your other four. I've been working on them, believe me! I don't think I'm going to get them, at least not soon. But I've got the other three of that set of seven, so I'm not doing too badly. Your clues haven't been too much help, I must admit, though I was grateful that you pointed out that two were string quartets.... :P

Russia?

Bolcom right.

I think my clues are great!  :D :D :D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 04:26:13 PM
So which one do you think it is likely to be, then.... ;)

I wish I could say Lenny, but I can't match any pieces from him when published by B+H.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 04:47:36 PM
BTW, I am still waiting for my numbers 1, 9, 10, 13 and 21 (particularly surprised about 1 and 10), as well as my new ones 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, and 34 - and I've given clues galore! More clues on request.

1 looks familiar...

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 04:53:28 PM
Russia?

Russia is right. And a whole bunch of Rinkel clues for you - it is a piece of orchestral music by a male composer with more than four letters in his surname  ;D

Go with your instinct on Lenny, btw.....

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 04:55:15 PM
1 looks familiar...

The clue I gave Maciek on this one was that it came from his general part of the world, though not Poland.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 04:56:57 PM
The clue I gave Maciek on this one was that it came from his general part of the world, though not Poland.

Knowing you, it has to be something by Janacek.

Larry Rinkel

Your instinct about that Tristan chord is very relevant, and once you can apply that, use my other clues to help narrow it down.

More clues:
Both operas are little-known today.
One opera takes place in Spain.
One does not.
The composer of one of the operas was not American, but in one sense you might have the impression he was American.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 04:56:01 PM
Russia is right. And a whole bunch of Rinkel clues for you - it is a piece of orchestral music by a male composer with more than four letters in his surname  ;D

Go with your instinct on Lenny, btw.....

Rachmaninoff?

Lenny - Mass doesn't seem right. Dybbuk doesn't seem right. Don't know.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 05:20:24 PM
Knowing you, it has to be something by Janacek.

Am I that predictable?  ;D No, it isn't. Right country, though.

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 05:27:35 PM
Rachmaninoff?

No.

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 02, 2007, 05:27:35 PMLenny - Mass doesn't seem right. Dybbuk doesn't seem right. Don't know.

It's actually one of his best known pieces (look at the orchestration, btw), so it's possible that whatever catalogue you are consulting is misleading you.

I'm off to work now, but I will look at your latest clues tonight. One thought, though, without consulting anything or looking back at the examples - if one is set in Spain, and I confused one opera for Wagner, is it possible that one of your samples is Wolf? Der Corregidor is what I am thinking of. I don't know it, though, so this is only a guess.

Guido

Luke - is your no.23 the Dvorak violin concerto - end of the first movement? I haven't heard the piece in four years, and don't have a score, so this is just a guess based on the violin line, and the attacca...

no.31 - a completely wild guess - Schnittke string trio?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 02, 2007, 11:38:04 PM
I'm off to work now, but I will look at your latest clues tonight. One thought, though, without consulting anything or looking back at the examples - if one is set in Spain, and I confused one opera for Wagner, is it possible that one of your samples is Wolf? Der Corregidor is what I am thinking of. I don't know it, though, so this is only a guess.

Yes, one of the samples is the prelude to Wolf's rarely played Corregidor.

I'm going to say the Bernstein is the Chichester Psalms, a work I barely know and don't think I have a score for. What I took for "Tpt" threw me, but if it's "Tpl" for temple blocks, it'll work, and the rhythm, harmony, etc., are right for an LB work from that period.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Guido on September 03, 2007, 02:49:53 AM
Luke - is your no.23 the Dvorak violin concerto - end of the first movement? I haven't heard the piece in four years, and don't have a score, so this is just a guess based on the violin line, and the attacca...

Correct

Quote from: Guido on September 03, 2007, 02:49:53 AM
no.31 - a completely wild guess - Schnittke string trio?

Also correct!

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 03, 2007, 03:29:23 AM
Yes, one of the samples is the prelude to Wolf's rarely played Corregidor.

Hooray!

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 03, 2007, 03:29:23 AMI'm going to say the Bernstein is the Chichester Psalms, a work I barely know and don't think I have a score for. What I took for "Tpt" threw me, but if it's "Tpl" for temple blocks, it'll work, and the rhythm, harmony, etc., are right for an LB work from that period.

It is the Chichester Psalms, (from the opening of the last one) - but it is a trumpet - the work is scored for strings, harps, brass and percussion

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 03, 2007, 04:08:07 AM
Rimsky?

No, but you're getting down to the right handful (note heavy italics!)

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 03, 2007, 04:14:15 AM
Hooray!

It is the Chichester Psalms, (from the opening of the last one) - but it is a trumpet - the work is scored for strings, harps, brass and percussion

No, but your getting down to the right handful (note heavy italics!)

Shows you I don't know the Bernstein very well.

Not likely we've got Mussorgsky or Cui. Now let me start thinking about Borodin and Balakirev.

Finally - 1 - Martinu's 6th symphony!!!!  ;D