Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 06, 2007, 02:15:28 PM
Greg 18 - Shostakovich Violin Concerto 1, third movement passacaglia
Quote from: Maciek on September 06, 2007, 02:29:12 PM
No, no, no, NO! This can't be! How could I have missed my FAVORITE movement of my FAVORITE violin concerto! ARGH!!!!!! :( :( :(

(walks away, tearing at his own hair)
awwwwwwww too sad  :'(

Larry Rinkel

A few more to tide you over before the weekend onslaught:

Larry Rinkel

Only two more for now:

lukeottevanger

42 is [towards] the end of the Credo from Machaut's Mass - and it never fails too amaze, does it?

As for your others.....more thought required!  ??? ???

lukeottevanger

44 - well, maybe this is a trick question, but Beethoven's op 100 is a duet called Merkenstein, so I'll opt for that.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 06, 2007, 10:03:46 PM
42 is [towards] the end of the Credo from Machaut's Mass - and it never fails too amaze, does it?

Machaut Mass correct.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 06, 2007, 10:11:48 PM
44 - well, maybe this is a trick question, but Beethoven's op 100 is a duet called Merkenstein, so I'll opt for that.

It has my nomination for the single silliest thing Beethoven ever wrote.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 06, 2007, 10:03:46 PM

It may help to get the tempo for 41: Adagio, 8/8, quaver/eighth = 54-60.

The tempo for the other is blazingly fast.

Both are by American composers.

Maciek

Will it be any sort of clue if I mention that my remaining two are by 20th century Polish composers? ;D

karlhenning

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Maciek on September 07, 2007, 05:51:02 AM
Will it be any sort of clue if I mention that my remaining two are by 20th century Polish composers? ;D

No.

Maciek

OK then. Here's another one: they are both still alive now, in the 21st century.

One of them lives abroad (outside Poland).

lukeottevanger

Manuel 2 - Rzewski - Which Side Are You On (North American Ballads). The specifics of that improvisation, and other details, suggest Rzewski strongly, but I needed to do a little searching through my box set.... (Google helped, too, to be honest)

If I'm right, that's two Rzewski pieces so far, maybe more to come....

BachQ

Quote from: Maciek on September 07, 2007, 05:51:02 AM

Exceptionally helpful, thx ........

Maciek

OK, D Minor, here's one more, especially for you. And if this doesn't help you, I don't know what will:

1 of the pieces is for string quartet, 1 of the pieces is for string trio

:P

;)

lukeottevanger

I can't seem to load the picture of no 10, and I can't remember it at all, so this is merely a semi-educated guess: Krzysztof Meyer's String Trio? He's alive, and he's Polish, and he lives abroad, and he's written a String Trio, and you've talked about him....

Maciek

He, he, he. I knew pointing out that it's for a string trio would get you guys going. ;D

In a way, Luke, you're getting warmer...

So here are 2 more hints: the piece for string trio is not entitled String Trio. And it is not by Krzysztof Meyer.

lukeottevanger

Is anyone trying mine? I have to say, I expected some of them - 36, 39, 40 and 41 to go very quickly. Look at them closely, guys!

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 07, 2007, 03:20:47 PM
Is anyone trying mine? I have to say, I expected some of them - 36, 39, 40 and 41 to go very quickly. Look at them closely, guys!

Believe me, I'm trying, but the only ones I'm finding easy are mine (including the two unguessed ones).  :D

Maciek

Yep, mine unguessed ones are real easy too. :P ;) Especially the second one - it's by (warning: hint ahead) a really, really, really "famous" composer. One that has been featured on this thread before too!