Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Now how about the ones where I didn't lead you by the hand right to the correct website?  ;D ;)

Maciek

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 08, 2007, 01:51:59 PM
You have mentioned the composer's name in this thread. But he isn't Polish!

A foreign composer's name in my mouth? Impossible! I would never stoop to that level!

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 08, 2007, 02:01:06 PM
(Not sure I like your ironic ' 's there!  ;D )

You're right, as a mod I should never be ironic towards this great forum. I shall remove those ' 's at once!

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 08, 2007, 02:03:52 PM
Now how about the ones where I didn't lead you by the hand right to the correct website?  ;D ;)

Just give me a sec.

Or a day.

Or two. ;D

(Right now I'm going through all my previous posts, striving to remove every mention of a foreign-sounding name that I can find...)

Maciek

So far, I've come to the conclusion that no. 46 in neither Berlioz nor Nyman. ;D Will report subsequent findings.

EDIT: Something tells me it isn't Previn either...

EDIT2: I have a sneaking suspicion you might have flaunted at us an excerpt from VeggieTales - Sumo of the Opera...

EDIT3: On a hunch, I'm also ruling Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, and De Falla out! :D

lukeottevanger

I honestly don't understand why 40 and (especially) 41 are proving so hard.   ??? I'm starting to doubt myself here... Give up on 46 for now and try again on those two will you, to restore my faith.

You're right, though, 46 is neither Berlioz, nor Nyman, nor Havergal Brian (I'll give you that for free)

Maciek

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 08, 2007, 02:19:23 PM
nor Havergal Brian (I'll give you that for free)

>:(
(quickly deletes triumphant post he had just finished writing...)

lukeottevanger

Maciek

Simple question: does the surname of the composer of no. 46 contain the letter "c"?

lukeottevanger

Maciek

You mean it's a different letter (but similar sound??), or do you mean that it's capitalized (as in Cage ;D)?

(Or maybe it contains an unusually pronounced "c"?)

lukeottevanger

not edward

Luke, don't suppose your #46 is Schnittke's Quasi una sonata, is it?

There's some passages with semi-indefinite violin pitch and similar piano figurations in it, though I certainly don't recognize this particular passage.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Maciek

OK, so it's got to be Schnittke.

(Darn, Edward beat me to it!)

And yes, it is his 2nd Violin Sonata - I just found it in the score...

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Maciek on September 08, 2007, 02:45:19 PM
OK, so it's got to be Schnittke.

(Darn, Larry beat me to it!)

I did?

Maciek

Sorry, just automatically assumed it was you, even before the avatar loaded (I don't even look at the names anymore...). :-[

Logging off now, with a feeling of utter defeat and embarrassment.

See you all on Monday! 8)

Larry Rinkel

Believe me, I've just about lost confidence in my ability to identify anything.

And yet no one has identified two of mine  . . . .  ;D

lukeottevanger

Larry, is one of yours (I forget which number, the one which leads up to the double bar) Christopher Rouse, Phaethon?

lukeottevanger

Oh, and Edward - yes, of course you are right about the Schnittke.

not edward

And #45 is Rzewski's Coming Together. (I initially thought it was a Tom Johnson piece but then saw the text.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

lukeottevanger

Yep. As I said, the title is staring you in the face! That's three pieces of Rzewski so far on this thread....

lukeottevanger

This is great - they're falling thick and fast now! Only five left. Funny how 40 and 41 remain - I am genuinely confused.  ???