Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 12, 2007, 04:20:07 AM
Well, I could get partial credit for the composer on LO51...  :D

??? Why - did I miss a post?

karlhenning

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 12, 2007, 04:20:07 AM
I would love to capture all of these images into a Word file or PDF and send it around to all interested, before Rob inevitably deletes all the graphics. We could be the ones responsible for the database crashing every other day.  ;D

If this happens, count me in, please!

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 12, 2007, 04:22:54 AM
??? Why - did I miss a post?

I mean LO58. Can't keep all the numbers straight.  :D

lukeottevanger

Ah, right. Fair point. Modified as suggested!

Mark G. Simon

LO 52: My guess is Ned Rorem.

During my detective work I was surprised at how many English horn concertos there are: Nicholas Maw, Aaron Jay Kernis, Michael Daugherty, Vincent Persichetti.

lukeottevanger

No, sorry. Told you this one was hard. The composer of this piece is at the same time a much less famous composer than any of those you mentioned, and much more famous. If that is any help.

lukeottevanger

Oh, and, to be fair, I ought to say that this piece is a Concertino rather than a Concerto.

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 11, 2007, 02:15:00 PM
Well, until Greg and Manuel gives us some extra help, we're at a bit of an impasse! There's one more of mine left, LO 44; I'm reluctant to say much more than that this is one of the more important works of one of the most prominent figures of French organ music in the early 20th century.

So, to keep things ticking along, here are some more.

LO 50 - I am hoping no one reads this script, as, if they do, I don't imagine the answer will be long in coming

LO 51 - there is a major clue in the musical substance of this page

Quote from: greg on September 10, 2007, 05:20:08 AM
excellent!  8)
here's some hints:
g11 and g12 are the same composer. g11 isn't John Cage, but has taken inspiration from him, and he may not be American. (this might be too easy now, but the greater difficulty would be determining which works these are)

g15- a score by a somewhat cutting-edge composer. I have the piece on CD, but i just want to hear someone guess who the composer is first, since most of you might not actually have the recording of this piece.

g17- it's spectral! and it's a succesful piece, too, which i think kicks butt

g19- some more kick-butt music, look at the A B C D layout. The orchestra is arranged in a novel way, i won't go any further

g20- g19 and g20 are by the same composer. This piece, which I LOVE was written the year i was born, it's like it was written just for me  >:D (thanks man)

this isn't enough extra help?

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 12, 2007, 05:20:08 AM
No, sorry. Told you this one was hard. The composer of this piece is at the same time a much less famous composer than any of those you mentioned, and much more famous. If that is any help.

This suggests the composer is well-known as a musician, but less so as a composer. Correct?

There is an English horn concerto by S. Skrowacewzki (sp?), better known as a conductor.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: greg on September 12, 2007, 05:59:29 AM

There are lot of pieces in play now, and some get lost in the shuffle, especially as newer ones surface.

greg

Luke's done the magic of linking everything together so i know i'm not lost!  $:)

Larry Rinkel

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 12, 2007, 05:59:55 AM
This suggests the composer is well-known as a musician, but less so as a composer. Correct?

Almost correct - but you picked up on the deliberate ambiguity of the phrasing correctly.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: greg on September 12, 2007, 05:59:29 AM

To be honest, no!! ;D These are obviously examples that need the sort of giveaway clues other questions have had to have

greg

Quoteg11 and g12 are the same composer. g11 isn't John Cage, but has taken inspiration from him, and he may not be American. (this might be too easy now, but the greater difficulty would be determining which works these are)

g15- a score by a somewhat cutting-edge composer. I have the piece on CD, but i just want to hear someone guess who the composer is first, since most of you might not actually have the recording of this piece.

g17- it's spectral! and it's a succesful piece, too, which i think kicks butt

g19- some more kick-butt music, look at the A B C D layout. The orchestra is arranged in a novel way, i won't go any further

g20- g19 and g20 are by the same composer. This piece, which I LOVE was written the year i was born, it's like it was written just for me

more clues:
g11 and g12- this composer is Asian
g15- this composer is German
g17- just think of THE spectral composers, the ones who started it. Think of the succesful spectral pieces and take some guesses
g19 and g20- one of my VERY favorite composers (now that i said that, you should know who he is). The trick now is to guess which works they are. i gave you 1987, one should be really easy

m_gigena

Manuel3 - Every upper-intermediate violinist plays this concerto at least once in his life. I suppose that's an important reason for serious violinists not to perform it as a concert piece.
If you explore Nathan Milstein's lineage (which leads to Tartini), you will find this violinist-composer, eventually.

Manuel4 - I think he gave his last concert from an armchair.

m_gigena

And there's a more intrincate clue...

The violinist that made the only modern recording of the work in Manuel3 had a son who was named after the composer of the work in Manuel4.

Maciek

g20 Xenakis ATA
g19 also Xenakis

Maciek