Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

65 isn't Chopin or Szymanowski.

66 is Strauss, but I won't ask you which opera since it isn't one. I will say, however, that this isn't a vocal score (despite the 'pizz' marking, which I suppose is just there to help the pianist imagine the desired sound). Big clues there.

lukeottevanger

Now I really am going to bed!

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 12, 2007, 05:02:26 PM
Now I really am going to bed!

66 is Strauss's melodrama The Castle by the Sea, a work I had never heard of until five minutes ago.

Now let's see if Luke really has gone to bed!!!  :D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 12, 2007, 04:59:13 PM
65 isn't Chopin or Szymanowski.

Maybe not, the markings are in French.

Maciek

I think it even sounds French. It reminds me of Satie a bit but it seems too "regular" for him... But who then? ???

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 12, 2007, 05:12:17 PM
66 is Strauss's melodrama The Castle by the Sea, a work I had never heard of until five minutes ago.

Correct! It's partly the discovery of new composers and works that makes this thread fun, I think. Wide-ranging and extending many aspects of musical (and logical) thinking.

Mark G. Simon

Judging by the clue, LO 68 must be the Piano Trio by Korngold.

lukeottevanger

lukeottevanger

Meanwhile, Manuel 4 is the second of the Four Etudes for two violins by Wieniawski

lukeottevanger

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 13, 2007, 04:55:12 AM
Meanwhile, Manuel 4 is the second of the Four Etudes for two violins by Wieniawski

and Manuel 3 is from the first movement of de Beriot's 9th Violin Concerto.

(I've updated the list before Manuel gets a chance to confirm, because I've compared his examples side by side with the scores.)

m_gigena

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 13, 2007, 06:42:42 AM
and Manuel 3 is from the first movement of de Beriot's 9th Violin Concerto.

(I've updated the list before Manuel gets a chance to confirm, because I've compared his examples side by side with the scores.)

They are. Now, for the bonus points: who is the modern violinist I mentioned to when linking both composers?  ;D

lukeottevanger

Maciek

Perhaps the "Satie" piece is by Scriabin?? ???

lukeottevanger

Maciek

He, he. Perhaps it isn't then...

Larry Rinkel

Have we all run out of steam for this game? can we at least wrap up the ones left unidentified?

greg

anyone need more clues for my scores?
how about some more guesses?.....

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 18, 2007, 10:30:43 AM
Have we all run out of steam for this game? can we at least wrap up the ones left unidentified?

I certainly haven't - I was worrying everyone else had lost enthusiasm!

There are quite a few left to guess of mine, and I have more I'd love to post, too, though seeing this great thread slip down the board I haven't had the heart to prepare them yet.

For me, the whole point of this game, apart from the 'thrill of the chase' (  ;D ) is the fascinating corners of the repertoire it takes me too - places I wouldn't normally have thought of going, perhaps. Among my ongoing crop of scores-to-be-guessed are a few that I think are really interesting, as, I hope, would be others I might post in the future. And personally, I want to have more to work at from other people too, as I'm craving more musical detective work! I never got into crosswords etc. - perhaps this is the musician's equivalent!

Greg, of your remaining numbers, I simply don't have a clue.  ???  Give us a few more hints.

Maciek

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on September 18, 2007, 10:30:43 AM

I'm currently in Vilnius, and on a VERY slow dial up connection (graphics practically don't load at all ::)), so I won't be participating for a while (almost until the end of September). At least I don't think so. ;D