Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_gigena

lukeottevanger

Yes, I think so. If I got involved, I'd probably find it nearly as addictive as I found/am finding (which tense is correct?) this thread.* So waiting for downloads etc would be a real pain.

*possibly slightly less as I find scores visually fascinating to ponder over - potential clues lurk in so many facets of the image (musical style, handwriting, instrumentation, print style....). You can look at leisure, take your time to examine small details, zoom in and out, compare other scores.... whereas listening to clips is a somewhat more frustrating exercise in this respect, as it basically involves playing and replaying and perhaps hunting for particular sections of the music over and over. Just my personal taste, of course.

Maciek

lukeottevanger

Yes, me. Patiently waiting - and waiting, and waiting - for others to decide to revisit this best of threads again.

Please look on the previous page for clues to my last remaining ones. Some easy ones there, I think you'll agree.

Maciek

Why, aren't those the same that you put up before I even left? 0:) :P

He, he - always liked a good challenge. Here's my first guess:

LO 50
The Erezeroumi Shoror from Dances for piano by the Armenian composer Komitas Vardapet!

Maciek

LO 51
Another easy one! :P
Suite for Oboe and Piano by Pavel Haas.

Maciek

LO 52:
Anthony Burgess    - Concertino for cor anglais and orchestra (1987)

Maciek

LO 67:
Satie - Messe des Pauvres

I'll take a break now... Perhaps I'll post a few unguessable ones of mine own tomorrow... >:D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 02, 2007, 01:28:10 PM
Yes, me. Patiently waiting - and waiting, and waiting - for others to decide to revisit this best of threads again.

It was kind of hard to respond when the site had crashed for three days.

lukeottevanger

Yes, Maciek, these are the same ones as were up before you left!

And of course these three guesses are correct. I told you my clues made these easy (in the case of the Burgess and the Satie, lots of silly trivia to point you in the right direction for a little Googling etc.), because I want them to be found quickly - they've been hanging around for far too long. Which is why I've been surprised they haven't been guessed yet.

Maciek

LO 61 Respighi - Violin Sonata in B Minor

lukeottevanger

Nice. That's one of the trickier ones IMO

Maciek

I feel the trickier one must be no. 63. I'm positive I know it, and yet I just can't place it........... :-\ Is it really a solo piano piece?

lukeottevanger

Yes, it's for solo piano. It's a piece with an essential Polish connection, too.

lukeottevanger

And don't forget my clue - just look at the tune, which ought to be deep in your blood. At the top of the page it is in the top voice, but we join it halfway through. It changes to the top of the left hand on the third line, and at this point you can see the beginning of the tune again.

Maciek

Well, it seems I'm a bit stuck. Nos. 63-65 I find the most annoying... >:( Let's see if the night brings any illumination... ::)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Maciek on October 03, 2007, 04:11:57 PM
Well, it seems I'm a bit stuck. Nos. 63-65 I find the most annoying... >:( Let's see if the night brings any illumination... ::)

Well, let me see how I can help...

63 - what more can I say: it has a very well-known theme which I have pointed out to you, though the theme may not be familiar in this treatment.

64 - like I said, a composer already used on this thread. What school/style of music would you file this under? Therefore, which composer must it be? What notorious (and relatively early) piece could it be? Another composer, equally or more well-known, and belonging to the same school, wrote a typically dense analysis of this piece which is very interesting. This score can be found online, as you can see, but not at IMSLP.

65 - an extremely well-known composer (we're talking 'world's greatest composers' famous), but a little-known piece, not included in any collections I've seen of his. The composer is who it sounds like, and again I point you to line 4 in particular for a point where he almost quotes another of his pieces (much better-known) for the same instrument. (I'm not being obscure here - that instrument is the piano!)

bwv 1080

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 04, 2007, 07:29:08 AM
Well, let me see how I can help...

63 - what more can I say: it has a very well-known theme which I have pointed out to you, though the theme may not be familiar in this treatment.

64 - like I said, a composer already used on this thread. What school/style of music would you file this under? Therefore, which composer must it be? What notorious (and relatively early) piece could it be? Another composer, equally or more well-known, and belonging to the same school, wrote a typically dense analysis of this piece which is very interesting. This score can be found online, as you can see, but not at IMSLP.

65 - an extremely well-known composer (we're talking 'world's greatest composers' famous), but a little-known piece, not included in any collections I've seen of his. The composer is who it sounds like, and again I point you to line 4 in particular for a point where he almost quotes another of his pieces (much better-known) for the same instrument. (I'm not being obscure here - that instrument is the piano!)

So thought I could take a stab at these, but to no luck.  Thought 63 might be one of the Brahms variations given the polyrhythms,  64 is a Ferneyhough piece - Sonatas for String Quartet or the 2nd SQ perhaps?  Thought 65 was Debussy or perhaps Ravel, but struck out there

bwv 1080

Here is one

bwv 1080

And a couple of easier ones