Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

I'm going to assume that my mis-spelt (misremembered) guess at BWV 11 was close enough to count!

12 - I thought part of this looked like Poulenc (reminded me of part of his Sinfonietta), but closer inspection leads me to: Stravinsky - Octet

14 looks to me like Carter, which would, I think, make it Changes or Shard. I think I'll guess the latter, for now.

working on the others....

edit - Larry got there first on the Stravinsky. Did you use the same method as me Larry?  ;)

lukeottevanger

Wild guess at 16, based on the Bach quotation only, though the style elsewhere looks about right too: Smith Brindle: Variants on Two Themes of JS Bach

lukeottevanger

No 13 - Brouwer: La Espiral eterna (wonderful stuff!)

bwv 1080

bwv 1080

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 07, 2007, 01:28:46 PM
Wild guess at 16, based on the Bach quotation only, though the style elsewhere looks about right too: Smith Brindle: Variants on Two Themes of JS Bach

No

bwv 1080

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 07, 2007, 01:12:34 PMt

14 looks to me like Carter, which would, I think, make it Changes or Shard. I think I'll guess the latter, for now.

It is one of the two.  The gestures in passage copied is the inspiration for the title

lukeottevanger

Quote from: bwv 1080 on October 07, 2007, 01:48:37 PM
It is one of the two.  The gestures in passage copied is the inspiration for the title

OK then, it is Changes. Looks like the music example of that piece in Schiff, too.

bwv 1080

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 07, 2007, 02:24:27 PM
OK then, it is Changes. Looks like the music example of that piece in Schiff, too.

Correct

lukeottevanger

OK, I have quite a few left, but it seems that no one wants to guess at them at the moment - I must say I'm quite surprised, as I'd have thought most of them were gettable with the clues I've given. However, I might as well give out a few more whilst waiting.

LO No 69 - an awesome passage from an awesome piece

lukeottevanger

LO 70

lukeottevanger

LO 71 - one for Guido, when he returns to the thread. The beginning of the coda of this clever and fun piece, based on - believe it or not - Donna Summer's I Feel Love!

lukeottevanger

LO 72

lukeottevanger

LO 73

lukeottevanger

LO 74

lukeottevanger

LO 75

lukeottevanger

LO 76

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 07, 2007, 01:12:34 PM
edit - Larry got there first on the Stravinsky. Did you use the same method as me Larry?  ;)

Not knowing what method you used, Luke, I would say yes.