Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Is LO110 Skempton? I once saw a piano piece of his that looks very similar to this one.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

Blimey - both correct! Very impressive indeed, in both cases.

Mark G. Simon

no. 97 looks like Sibelius, especially the clarinet part. Luonnotar perhaps?

lukeottevanger

They're tumbling like dominoes...... :)

Yes, and what a fine piece it is. The clarinet line and the string figure is typical Sibelius; the harp figure, which goes on for bars, is a hallmark of this particular piece, one of Sibelius's very best IMO

bwv 1080

81- MacDowell -Sonata Eroica
82 - Henry Martin: Preludes and Fugues?

bwv 1080

95 - Busoni - Second Sonatina

bwv 1080

96 - Sorabji - Opus Clavicembalisticum

bwv 1080

99 Richard Rodney Bennett - Noctuary

lukeottevanger

matticus

91 is Dillon's East 11th St NY 10003

96 is Xenakis's Herma

106 must be from Firecycle Beta, are they all timps? Great percussion writing in that piece...

107 is from Crumb's 5 piano pieces

lukeottevanger

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 06:44:30 AM
91 is Dillon's East 11th St NY 10003

Yes

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 06:44:30 AM96 is Xenakis's Herma

Yes

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 06:44:30 AM106 must be from Firecycle Beta, are they all timps? Great percussion writing in that piece...

No. But right composer. And right instruments  :o - microtonal canonic writing for timp harmonics.....

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 06:44:30 AM107 is from Crumb's 5 piano pieces

Yes

You really know your complexity scores, don't you!

lukeottevanger

...I'm wondering why, with these ones being tracked down so quickly, my previous ones seem to have been hard to do. IMO they are no more difficult, and I gave more clues to them too....

they're still available for anyone who wants to retry...

matticus

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 17, 2007, 06:57:31 AM
No. But right composer. And right instruments  :o - microtonal canonic writing for timp harmonics.....

Is it Transit then...? I thought that seemed more likely but couldn't find this bit in my recording.

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 17, 2007, 06:57:31 AM
You really know your complexity scores, don't you!

I got the Skempton one too, honest...!

Also, I'm sure I recognise #105 -- could we get a clue?

greg

lukeottevanger

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 07:06:40 AM
Is it Transit then...? I thought that seemed more likely but couldn't find this bit in my recording.

That's the one. You won't find it quite like this on the recording, because superimposed over the top of this music is the slowly-evolving 'Vocal model' which is written separately on the first page of the score. This is page three, so very near the beginning, fairly shortly after the timps come in under the voices. One of Ferneyhough's most attractive pieces, I think.

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 07:06:40 AM
Also, I'm sure I recognise #105 -- could we get a clue?

Hmm, let me think. It's not from a concerto, though this extremely famous and important composer did write concertos later on. The music bears the traces of its nationality, and when you've got that, the composer is quite obvious I think.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: matticus on October 17, 2007, 07:06:40 AMI got the Skempton one too, honest...!

Quote from: greg on October 17, 2007, 07:20:51 AM
:(
i actually could've gotten that one!

That's the only problem with this thread - we've all got loads, I'm sure, that have been snaffled up by someone else before we can get to them! ...looking over the list of scores I can count at least 22 that I 'could have' got!  >:( ;D

Maciek

LO 103 - well, the teasing worked but this wasn't an easy one:

After staring long, very long, and hard, hard, hard at it, just when I was about to give up (even though all along I felt I knew the "melody" played by the celesta and glockenspiel) it came to me:

Andrzej Panufnik - Autumn Music

I do have to say, the first 3 bars totally confused me, and got me looking in a totally wrong direction (Kilar? Krauze??). It didn't help that I haven't heard this piece in a very long while. All I'm saying is this: I'm very proud of myself this time, and I expect everyone to appreciate the titanic struggle I had to go through to guess this. ;D

Maciek

When (and if) you ever get the Lullaby score, Luke, you absolutely have to post a snippet here. Though I suspect that one would be even more difficult to guess. Or maybe not, considering one "detail" I know about it... :-X

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Maciek on October 17, 2007, 12:02:41 PM
LO 103 - well, the teasing worked but this wasn't an easy one:

After staring long, very long, and hard, hard, hard at it, just when I was about to give up (even though all along I felt I knew the "melody" played by the celesta and glockenspiel) it came to me:

Andrzej Panufnik - Autumn Music

I do have to say, the first 3 bars totally confused me, and got me looking in a totally wrong direction (Kilar? Krauze??). It didn't help that I haven't heard this piece in a very long while. All I'm saying is this: I'm very proud of myself this time, and I expect everyone to appreciate the titanic struggle I had to go through to guess this. ;D

Well then, all hail Maciek  etc. etc.  ;D

Seriously, well done!

Those first three bars, though, are not meant to confuse. The barline between the first and second of them is the pivot on which the work turns - from that point on an enormous retrograde a la Berg begins

lukeottevanger

Just to spur you on, I must emphasize that numbers 89 and 109 are works most of you will know.

These ones are all going so fast, I haven't thought about giving out clues. But maybe I'll begin to do so for the remaining ones tomorrow.