Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 05:22:56 AM
It's more a foxtrot, and not American, though clearly deeply indebted to American influences. It shares an extremely close link with another, far more famous ragtime-ish evocation from the same country, a few years earlier. The composer of the latter is one of The Great Composers...

The "latter," GC sounds like Stravinsky . . . . So this is maybe Russian?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Luke

Another GC, but every bit as G. Stravinsky certainly thought so - he wrote him a Tombeau to prove it...

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 05:33:31 AM
Another GC, but every bit as G. Stravinsky certainly thought so - he wrote him a Tombeau to prove it...

So now we're talking about Debussy. I'm not sure I'm any less lost than before.

Luke

Ragtime evocations by Debussy. I can think of three at the moment. The most famous has a feature directly linked to the piece in my mystery score.

Luke

The most famous in my estimation, I should say.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 05:43:09 AM
Ragtime evocations by Debussy. I can think of three at the moment. The most famous has a feature directly linked to the piece in my mystery score.

Let me work on it. Not Satie, I think, and definitely not Ravel.

Luke

No, much less well-known. I only discovered this composer a few weeks ago myself. Googling will be required, I suspect.

What is the odd thing that happens in the middle of the finale to Children's Corner?

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 05:51:03 AM
No, much less well-known. I only discovered this composer a few weeks ago myself. Googling will be required, I suspect.

What is the odd thing that happens in the middle of the finale to Children's Corner?

A quotation from Tristan und Isolde.

Auric wrote a foxtrot called "Adieu, New York," but this is not it.

Luke

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 29, 2016, 05:54:55 AM
A quotation from Tristan und Isolde.

This is that, but much more extensive. What you see in my example is the climax and coda of the Liebestod, a la foxtrot  >:D 8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Luke

Of all pieces, I know! One can almost hear the clouds of mystical, mythical weltschmerz being blown away...

Brian

Peter Schickele did write a "Last Tango in Bayreuth" resetting Tristan for a quartet of four bassoons...

https://www.youtube.com/v/4CLkj8Dlnuo

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 28, 2016, 06:32:56 PM
I thought you might like to hear what your bottle sounds like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8iabjop5udqfoc4/Blanc%20Fum%C3%A9.wav?dl=0

Wow, thank you. Not bad for a wine bottle, I suppose, though not the most profound either. (I wish it were my bottle - at $65, not likely to reach my pantry.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 06:22:35 AM
Of all pieces, I know! One can almost hear the clouds of mystical, mythical weltschmerz being blown away...

Smash the Weltschmerz!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2016, 06:05:43 AM
This is that, but much more extensive. What you see in my example is the climax and coda of the Liebestod, a la foxtrot  >:D 8)

If I had only printed it and taken it to the piano . . . . At this stage in my life and decades out of practice, my sight-singing and ear-training are for crap. It is "Isoldina" by Clement Doucet. He also "wrote," if that's the word, a "Chopinata" on themes like the Ab Polonaise, C# minor Waltz, and Fantasie Impromptu; and "Lisztonia," which begins with the 1st Piano Concerto and segues to the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody. Also something more original called "Chicken Pie," doubtless to be served with a blanc fumé and avocado.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2016, 06:26:36 AM
Peter Schickele did write a "Last Tango in Bayreuth" resetting Tristan for a quartet of four bassoons...

Oh, anyone can do that. Now if he had set it for a quartet of five bassoons . . . .

Luke

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 29, 2016, 07:22:42 AM
If I had only printed it and taken it to the piano . . . . At this stage in my life and decades out of practice, my sight-singing and ear-training are for crap. It is "Isoldina" by Clement Doucet. He also "wrote," if that's the word, a "Chopinata" on themes like the Ab Polonaise, C# minor Waltz, and Fantasie Impromptu; and "Lisztonia," which begins with the 1st Piano Concerto and segues to the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody. Also something more original called "Chicken Pie," doubtless to be served with a blanc fumé and avocado.

He did, and a Wagneria, too, which turns the Tannhauser Pilgrim's Chorus into another foxtrot, and syncopates Siegfried's horn call into a frenzy (among other things). He certainly wrote them, these pieces - after all, you've found all those scores - but if you listen to his recordings you will find that he is quite free with his own music (one for another thread, I think!). Charming froth - but charming, all the same, I think. Here's Isolde foxtrotting her way towards transfiguration....

http://www.youtube.com/v/uZ6V93WxYhU

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

listener

some quick notes on my three on the previous page:
2 yrs- is not by a South American, but is sort of relevant for for another week
not Danish - might remind you of Ovsianniko-Kulkovsky
not SS - not Saint-Saëns, but similar to a dance movement by him
I'll clear these up at the end of the month and come up with three more stinkers
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

listener

clearance of my last three
BLISS: Prelude to The Olympians       IPPOITOV-IVANOV: Songs of Ossian    MAYUZUMI: Bacchanale
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."