Arctic Outpost Radio

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, October 18, 2021, 09:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Hello all!

I was wondering whether or not anyone here ever listens to Arctic Outpost Radio?  For those who aren't familiar with it, it's an online radio station which broadcasts old (shellac) recordings of jazz, popular music, and I think that they are working on a couple of other shows featuring blues and old-time country music.  The knowledge of the person is who runs it is well, not really known (Some think that it is a guy based in Norway who is very private).  Lots of fun listening in any event!  Haven't seen any playlists...would love to know what all he is playing.

The online description from their website:  "Spinning the 78's from the top of the world.  Playing great shellacs from 1902-1958.  Big Band, Jazz, Swing, Vintage Country, and Blues.  As always, completely commercial free."

And "We are currently in development of two specialty programs.  We are bringing back our Electric Blues, and our Vintage Country programs,  Please stay tuned..."

I'm finding it to be a fun and enjoyable change of pace.   :)  Here's a link to their website:  https://www.aor.am

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

I'm listening right now  :)

Thanks, PD, it sounds very enjoyable !
I put the link to my favorites.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 18, 2021, 09:28:28 AM
Haven't seen any playlists...would love to know what all he is playing.

I wanted to ask the question... It's a bit frustrating not knowing what are the titles indeed.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mabuse on October 18, 2021, 12:42:37 PM
I'm listening right now  :)

Thanks, PD, it sounds very enjoyable !
I put the link to my favorites.

I wanted to ask the question... It's a bit frustrating not knowing what are the titles indeed.
Glad that you are enjoying it.  I heard about the station via an Alton Brown youtube video.  He's done various shows for the Food Network over the years.  During quarantine, he's been doing streams once a week from one of his homes with his wife Elizabeth and showing them live on youtube.  It's often on in the background.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

But 77° North is true this person can hardly remain incognito. It cannot be the correct position. There is really nothing so far north except for a few real arctic outposts. Would they have the energy, connection and bandwith for such a webradio?
Sorry if I am being really dense here...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on October 19, 2021, 05:12:21 AM
But 77° North is true this person can hardly remain incognito. It cannot be the correct position. There is really nothing so far north except for a few real arctic outposts. Would they have the energy, connection and bandwith for such a webradio?
Sorry if I am being really dense here...
I truthfully can't tell you much more about the station; if I recall correctly, one person thought that they were located somewhere northerly in Norway.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

I find this topic fascinating because I used to be into DXing - receiving long distance radio signals on the AM and shortwave bands. (I still listen to my SONY ICF-2010 radio at my desk while I'm on line.) The internet pretty much eliminated most shortwave broadcasting and the need to tune in to out-of-state radio to listen to baseball games.

I was able to find this information about Arctic Outpost Radio. I wish I could tune it in on AM 1270 khz, but I'm sure Norway is way out of range.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on October 19, 2021, 06:12:05 AM
I find this topic fascinating because I used to be into DXing - receiving long distance radio signals on the AM and shortwave bands. (I still listen to my SONY ICF-2010 radio at my desk while I'm on line.) The internet pretty much eliminated most shortwave broadcasting and the need to tune in to out-of-state radio to listen to baseball games.

I was able to find this information about Artctic Outpost Radio. I wish I could tune it in on AM 1270 khz, but I'm sure Norway is way out of range.
That sounds like it was a fun hobby!  Thanks, I had forgotten that bit about the town's name.   :)

I could see how, in particular, that this would be particularly fun to listen to around dinnertime/evening (presuming that you're not dashing around crazed in your kitchen trying to feed a big family including little ones all on your own).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

A little more research reveals that Longyearbyen is north of the Arctic Circle, around 650 miles from the North Pole, making it the world's northernmost settlement with population greater than 1,000.

Wikipedia says this:

Because of the town's remoteness, there are laws that are found in few, if any, other places in the world. Notable examples of such laws include a ban on cats, a restriction on how much alcohol an individual can purchase on a monthly basis, and a requirement that any individuals venturing outside carry a rifle for protection against polar bears.[43][44] A popular claim made about the town is that it is illegal to die there but the wording in such a claim is misleading. While it is not actually illegal to die in Longyearbyen, there are no options for burial of bodies there (ashes can be buried with permission from the government) and residents considered terminally ill are typically required to move to the mainland. The decision to disallow burials came in 1950, when it was discovered that the bodies of residents who had died as a result of the 1918 flu pandemic had not begun to decompose. Today, scientists fear that the corpses, having been preserved by the permafrost in which they were buried, may still contain live strains of that same virus that killed five percent of the world's population in the 20th century.[45]

:o
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

MusicTurner

On a more positive note, there's also a global storage library for seeds:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

I thought of Svalbard, but then ... if these are traditional media being used, how did they get all those records up there? However, I guess it's possible, with a bit of either patience or financial means. They say that people rarely stay there for many years, however; the culture is normally to get back to the mainland after staying for some time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 19, 2021, 07:59:11 AM

I thought of Svalbard, but then ... if these are traditional media being used, how did they get all those records up there? However, I guess it's possible, with a bit of either patience or financial means. They say that people rarely stay there for many years, however; the culture is normally to get back to the mainland after staying for some time.
I remember seeing a news story about that seed storage place, but had forgotten where it was located at.  Excellent idea to do that!

Interesting laws in that town too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 19, 2021, 07:59:11 AM

What an invaluable resource the seed bank is! Kudos to Norway for sponsoring that undertaking! It could be the subject of a new science fiction novel. After an apocalyptic event that scorches the earth, the lone surviving human on the planet travels to Svalbard to acquire seeds to re-vegetate the earth. There, we discover that another human has survived and both live together in their newly-created Garden of Eden. (If anyone runs with this idea, be sure to give me credit and royalties from the book.  8)  )

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on October 19, 2021, 10:25:10 AM
What an invaluable resource the seed bank is! Kudos to Norway for sponsoring that undertaking! It could be the subject of a new science fiction novel. After an apocalyptic event that scorches the earth, the lone surviving human on the planet travels to Svalbard to acquire seeds to re-vegetate the earth. There, we discover that another human has survived and both live together in their newly-created Garden of Eden. (If anyone runs with this idea, be sure to give me credit and royalties from the book.  8)  )
:laugh:  :)

What happens though if the seas continue to rise?  Look where it's located.   ???  Looks like it's located close to the shore?  Or maybe not so much....hard to tell by that map.

Here's a fun idea to ponder:  [What if] Svalbard does not only store seeds, but it also stores 78's....and the guy who runs both the web station and the seed station works out of there?

;D

PD

p.s.  And I want half of the movie's/book's earnings.  :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 19, 2021, 11:01:26 AM
:laugh:  :)

What happens though if the seas continue to rise?  Look where it's located.   ???  Looks like it's located close to the shore?  Or maybe not so much....hard to tell by that map.

Here's a fun idea to ponder:  [What if] Svalbard does not only store seeds, but it also stores 78's....and the guy who runs both the web station and the seed station works out of there?

;D

PD

p.s.  And I want half of the movie's/book's earnings.  :D

I'll get you the draft manuscript by the end of the week.  :D

SimonNZ

Listening now. Thanks very much for this.

(playing: "I Want To Be Like You" from The Jungle Book soundtrack - followed by an old vocal "Hold That Tiger (Tiger Rag)" - followed by Ella Rae Morse singing "Mr Five By Five" - followed by a fast swing-hall instrumental I don't recognise - followed by someone singing a song I didn't know but googled from the lyrics as Johnny Mercer's "It Takes Time" - followed by a Caribbean instrumental - followed by something sung in French)

Is there a playlist somewhere on that page? There doesn't seem to be anyone announcing the tracks.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on October 19, 2021, 05:03:34 PM
I'll get you the draft manuscript by the end of the week.  :D
Works for me!  ;)

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 19, 2021, 06:53:02 PM
Listening now. Thanks very much for this.

(playing: "I Want To Be Like You" from The Jungle Book soundtrack - followed by an old vocal "Hold That Tiger (Tiger Rag)" - followed by Ella Rae Morse singing "Mr Five By Five" - followed by a fast swing-hall instrumental I don't recognise - followed by someone singing a song I didn't know but googled from the lyrics as Johnny Mercer's "It Takes Time" - followed by a Caribbean instrumental - followed by something sung in French)

Is there a playlist somewhere on that page? There doesn't seem to be anyone announcing the tracks.
No, I haven't seen any playlists either.  :(  You folks might be interested in checking out his Instagram page--cool pictures!  I see that someone has done a rough sketch of Alton Brown and his wife Elizabeth Ingram with Quarantine Quitchen written underneath them.  Perhaps done by the DJ himself as a thank you; I suspect that I'm not the only one who found out about this radio station from watching QQ online.   :)  https://www.instagram.com/cal_lockwood/

I also found this article:  http://icepeople.net/2020/04/06/feverishly-cool-arctic-outpost-radio-am1270-hosted-by-local-man-of-mystery-cal-lockwood-goes-from-three-followers-to-40000-in-hours-due-to-viral-reaction-fromportugal/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

That's an interesting and good article, concerning 'Mr.Lockwood', thanks.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 20, 2021, 06:05:33 AM
That's an interesting and good article, concerning 'Mr.Lockwood', thanks.
You're welcome!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

Listening back the radio station, I was thinking it would make a great soundtrack for some Aki Kaurismaki's movies...  8)