Please recommend a complete Bach organ set...........

Started by Itullian, October 18, 2021, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itullian

Is there a set of Bach's complete organ works that you recommend?
Good sound please.
Thank you
When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

JBS

I'll jump in first and say Vernet if it's actually available (I'm not sure if it is).

Other sets I tend to like: Alain I, Hurford, the Hanssler multiperformer set.

There's also a set with several organists performed on Silbermann organs that's rather good. IIRC it's on Berlin Classics.

ETA: It's OOP, as is the Vernet.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

I'd say Alain II (analog recordings from the 70's) not to be confused with Alain III (digital recordings from the 80's).

Performances are superb and the audio quality is excellent.

I'd have recommended Isoir as a close second, but the set seems to be out of print.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Itullian on October 18, 2021, 01:24:14 PM
Is there a set of Bach's complete organ works that you recommend?
Good sound please.
Thank you

No, you need to listen on a streaming service to all and every suggestion, because there is a huge variety, variety of performance style, instruments and recorded sound. Only you can say which ones you will value.

This survey may be useful

https://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-survey-of-bach-organ-cycles.html
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Speaking of Bach organ sets, Bram Beekman's set might be available again from lindenberg records, which has just recently been resurrected by the owner.
https://www.lindenbergproductions.nl/over-ons/

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 18, 2021, 11:50:43 PM
No, you need to listen on a streaming service to all and every suggestion, because there is a huge variety, variety of performance style, instruments and recorded sound. Only you can say which ones you will value.

What Mandryka said. There are lots of suggestions in the Bach organ thread.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Cristina Garcia Banegas seems to have sneakily completed a complete set.

I think my favorite one still in print would be Cor Ardesch, really fantastic no-nonsense playing although the whole set is recorded on just one organ (a Dutch copy of a Silbermann organ, which sounds better than most Silbermanns still around!).

But for more generally available sets my picks would probably be Foccroulle, Koopman, or Weinberger.

Traverso

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 20, 2021, 11:54:35 PM
Speaking of Bach organ sets, Bram Beekman's set might be available again from lindenberg records, which has just recently been resurrected by the owner.
https://www.lindenbergproductions.nl/over-ons/

I phoned Lindenberg  last year and it was all very uncertain if there would be a reissue, but the intentions are there.

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 21, 2021, 12:02:09 AM
Cristina Garcia Banegas seems to have sneakily completed a complete set.

I read this some time ago in the booklet to the Leipzig chorales. But the set isn't available anywhere - or do you know more?

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid
But for more generally available sets my picks would probably be Foccroulle, Koopman, or Weinberger.

Koopman is hit or miss - not suited as a first recommendation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 21, 2021, 12:08:42 AM
I read this some time ago in the booklet to the Leipzig chorales. But the set isn't available anywhere - or do you know more?

Koopman is hit or miss - not suited as a first recommendation.

Well, I only knew from here, since Organroxx was playing some of her recordings in the past month. The problem is it seems like the set is split over many different recording labels, some of which have not put in much effort to keep the individual releases in print. https://organroxx.com/en_US/musicselection?search=banegas+Bach+Gesamtorgelwerke

Koopman, yes hit or miss but if you like his style (like me) is mostly hits :) Also applies to Weinberger I think.

MusicTurner

Am in no way a major collector of this, but had for example the Brilliant Classics/BIS Fagius set and found it rather dull in the playing, comparatively.
So it's being sold now.

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 21, 2021, 12:08:42 AM

I plan to hear the Motette CD before exploring further but the discographical details are fresh on my mind...

Two other "one-of" volumes are easy to find:
at Oude Kerk (Tulip Records) several copies sold on amazon
at Lövstabruk (Footprint Records) available from countless distributors

The volumes on the Uruguayan label Perro Andaluz, and the one-of on the German label Horos, are harder to find. Today the only way might be:

https://www.deprofundis.org.uy/cristina01.htm

Not sure about international shipping but it says: to purchase discs send a message to cbanegas@internet.com.uy

Remaining six volumes all sold at dmp-records.nl

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 21, 2021, 02:23:44 AM
Am in no way a major collector of this, but had for example the Brilliant Classics/BIS Fagius set and found it rather dull in the playing, comparatively.
So it's being sold now.

Yes, academical and subtle in expression I would say, but I think this approach has some justification. At least I have found it generally enjoyable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 21, 2021, 03:46:36 AM
Yes, academical and subtle in expression I would say, but I think this approach has some justification. At least I have found it generally enjoyable.

Good, of course the recorded sound itself in that set seems quite fine to me.
Interesting to hear others opinion.

staxomega

Sadly I think many of the top tier cycles are out of print. Most cycles should fit your requirement for great sound, it will probably come down to just varying degrees of how dry or resonant you like recordings.

My preferences for what should be in print in order (my strong preference for informed style and on historical instruments which have more color than modern organs, especially in things like reed stops)

Kooiman and pupils - quite expensive but IMHO worth every cent. Very deep, reaching, heavenly interpretations. Sharply articulated. Someone in the JSB thread wrote more on the recording quality which I agree with.

Olivier Vernet - I have one of the earlier editions with a cartoon drawing of Bach on the box, a couple of years ago I saw some label reissued this. IIRC he was a pupil of Alain but I find his interpretations more interesting than hers (I've only briefly heard her first cycle, I have the second and third)

Bernard Foccroulle ‎– probably the least essential, interpretations are more reserved and comes across as small scale, intimate. Still interesting.

I don't think you can go wrong with most cycles, even the most plain of interpretations let you hear how great this music is. The only two I've been put off by were Koopman (liberal use of ornamentation) and Rubsam Naxos (very eccentric tempi).

Elk

I agree with Mandryka that listening to many version online is a good idea if you have an account with Spotify, Tidal, or another. I also agree that many fine sets are OOP, like Hurford, Beekman, and early Kooiman.

The free download of Kibbie is worth it :)

The Rubsam on Naxos has grown on me over the years.

But the Kooiman on Aeolus is what I listen to most often. The performances are consistently excellent, and playback in surround sound offers a you-are-there experience-- indeed, worth every penny.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Elk on October 22, 2021, 08:28:22 AM
I agree with Mandryka that listening to many version online is a good idea if you have an account with Spotify, Tidal, or another. I also agree that many fine sets are OOP, like Hurford, Beekman, and early Kooiman.

The free download of Kibbie is worth it :)

The Rubsam on Naxos has grown on me over the years.

But the Kooiman on Aeolus is what I listen to most often. The performances are consistently excellent, and playback in surround sound offers a you-are-there experience-- indeed, worth every penny.

Hurford is not out of print.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

bioluminescentsquid

Hurford is borderline unlistenable to me, all the screechy faceless neo baroque organs he uses. But his recordings on historical instruments (one volume at Norden, other at Groningen, both out of print though) are exceptional.