Karelian/Finnish orchestral cd

Started by Roy Bland, October 25, 2021, 07:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

he Karelian State Philharmonic Hall hosted a presentation of an album with works written especially for our republic by Russian and Finnish composers. Performed the music by the symphony orchestra.
The presentation was timed to the celebration of the European Cooperation Day. The compositions for the new album were written for the project "Big Music for Small Towns" of the Russia-EU Cross-Border Cooperation Program "Karelia".
The focus is on the works "Karelian Suite" and "Nixus". "Karelian Suite" is the result of the work of Russian composers ("Myths and Legends" by Ilya Kuznetsov, "White Night on a Forest Lake" by Pavel Karmanov, "Northern Lights" by Alexei Kurbatov). The composition Nixus was created by the Finnish composer Cecilia Damström.

vandermolen

Sounds interesting. I'm eagerly waiting for this one (December release)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roy Bland on October 25, 2021, 07:12:31 PM
he Karelian State Philharmonic Hall hosted a presentation of an album with works written especially for our republic by Russian and Finnish composers. Performed the music by the symphony orchestra.
The presentation was timed to the celebration of the European Cooperation Day. The compositions for the new album were written for the project "Big Music for Small Towns" of the Russia-EU Cross-Border Cooperation Program "Karelia".
The focus is on the works "Karelian Suite" and "Nixus". "Karelian Suite" is the result of the work of Russian composers ("Myths and Legends" by Ilya Kuznetsov, "White Night on a Forest Lake" by Pavel Karmanov, "Northern Lights" by Alexei Kurbatov). The composition Nixus was created by the Finnish composer Cecilia Damström.
I haven't heard of any of those composers before.  How did you like the music?

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2021, 11:02:17 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm eagerly waiting for this one (December release)

Oooh!  Looks intriguing!  What is Pylkkänen's music like?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 27, 2021, 03:01:27 AM
Oooh!  Looks intriguing!  What is Pylkkänen's music like?

PD
No Idea PD -
I'll let you know... :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2021, 06:40:02 AM
No Idea PD -
I'll let you know... :)
I await your report Jeffrey....typed, proofread, double-spaced....  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 27, 2021, 06:45:09 AM
I await your report Jeffrey....typed, proofread, double-spaced....  :D

PD
Goes without saying PD.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 27, 2021, 03:01:27 AM

PD
In this sample of Karmanov after beginning that seems musique concrete i would say minimalism and neo romanticism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKrPyQjgmJI

on him
https://pavelkarmanov.com/

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roy Bland on October 27, 2021, 04:40:12 PM
In this sample of Karmanov after beginning that seems musique concrete i would say minimalism and neo romanticism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKrPyQjgmJI

on him
https://pavelkarmanov.com/
Thank you for that link.  I should have listened to it a couple of days ago as it was raining then.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter