The Music Room > The Polling Station

Time Change - Daylight/Standard time?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Spotted Horses:

--- Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 05, 2021, 07:40:34 AM ---It is a proposal to just have one time zone for the entire world.

So it is 9:39 am everywhere in the world, as an example.

--- End quote ---

That seems pretty silly and inconvenient for local usage.

People have remote meetings with people at different locations around the globe already use GMT time, to avoid conversations like, "the meeting is at 3pm Singapore time. When is that Lagos time? That's London time, plus one hour? Then when is that London time."

I was reading somewhere that in the U.S. time zones were organized by the railroads. In the 19th century every town had it's own time standard. One town might be 17 minutes different than a neighboring town. It was impossible to make a comprehensible railroad schedule when the different stops were in different cities with different time standards. Having a universal time standard was considered high-tech (telegraph, and all that).

VonStupp:

--- Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 05, 2021, 07:40:34 AM ---It is a proposal to just have one time zone for the entire world.

--- End quote ---

I assume most of the world uses the 24-hour system of telling time, what in the US I refer to as military time. For us, that just seems another impossible hurdle towards a universal system, not that I want it. It hurts my head to think about, but global communication isn't required in my work.

VS

Florestan:
Permanent Standard for me.

Florestan:

--- End quote ---

This is one of the most idiotic proposals I've ever heard of.  ;D

Jo498:
I was about 8 when Germany introduced (again, after the war and a few years postwar) Daylight Savings Time in 1980, so I have hardly any recollection of the time before that (also usually as a young child ones has to go to bed too early to care whether it gets dark at 9 or 10 pm).
It seems by now rather clear that all or most of the energy savings hoped for did not come to pass, maybe there is even an effect in the other direction (partly because of very chilly mornings in April and October). Nevertheless, I think unless one changes one's schedule (and of course this is not possible for many) the longer lighter evenings from May to August are an advantage.
Winter can be dark if one is too far north or too far east in a time zone; I realized this very clearly when I lived in north east Germany (at the baltic sea) for several years. But yearlong "summer time" would produce very dark long mornings and I think it is more important for being awake at work to have daylight as soon as possible.

So I think I am either for the status quo (although maybe october should belong to winter/standard time; in Europe they added october in the 1990s to the summer time period) or permanent standard time as second best. yearlong summer time is IMO just wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version