Apple Acquires Primephonic

Started by Mirror Image, November 16, 2021, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I've never been interested in streaming until now:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/

If this app delivers on its promises, it'll be one of the best streaming services around. Primephonic had a rather large music database and Apple's is decently sized as well, but together there's no telling what will available. Possibly a larger classical music library than Naxos, Qobuz or any of the rest of them?

Brian

Didn't Madiel post recently that after acquiring it, Apple simply shut it down? And were promising to create a new version some time in the future?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2021, 01:39:55 PM
Didn't Madiel post recently that after acquiring it, Apple simply shut it down? And were promising to create a new version some time in the future?

Yes, Apple shut Primephonic down, but subscribers were offered incentives like continued service up to a certain point and memberships to Apple Music for the time being. Apple is creating a brand new app completely devoted to classical music that will launch some time next year. This is all that is known so far. Anyway, I'll definitely onboard if the price is right and their database is more vast than my own collection. I'm more interested in streaming for new releases. This way I can get a better idea of what the recording is going sound like vs. listening to lower quality via YouTube. And I don't do Spotify and don't like the layout of their site.

lordlance

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2021, 11:54:25 AM
I've never been interested in streaming until now:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/

If this app delivers on its promises, it'll be one of the best streaming services around. Primephonic had a rather large music database and Apple's is decently sized as well, but together there's no telling what will available. Possibly a larger classical music library than Naxos, Qobuz or any of the rest of them?

That wrongfully assumes that Primephonic and Apple Music had distinct libraries. From all my years of streaming I can safely say most sites have 99% of the same material. The UI is where they can be different and, Apple Music on Android and iTunes on Windows are an abomination.

IDAGIO is excellent for work discographies. Makes it easier for record-hogs like myself.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Mirror Image

Quote from: lordlance on December 24, 2021, 11:01:19 AM
That wrongfully assumes that Primephonic and Apple Music had distinct libraries. From all my years of streaming I can safely say most sites have 99% of the same material. The UI is where they can be different and, Apple Music on Android and iTunes on Windows are an abomination.

IDAGIO is excellent for work discographies. Makes it easier for record-hogs like myself.

I know zero about streaming and that's the way I'd like to keep it. 0:)

Que

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2021, 04:13:58 PM

It would save a lot of space in your basement.  ;)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2021, 04:13:58 PM

Didn't your initial post say you were interested in it?

Personally I wish Apple would stick to computer hardware and software and not focus on becoming a media company. The main economic result of streaming services is to divert revenue from art producers and creators to tech companies, and will ultimately starve creators of resources.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Cato

When Apple and other such companies - or their top leaders - start supporting symphony orchestras, chamber orchestras, chamber groups, opera companies...

... and the composers themselves...

instead of pandering to the lowest common kulcheral denominators, then maybe I will take notice.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on December 25, 2021, 06:41:47 AM
When Apple and other such companies - or their top leaders - start supporting symphony orchestras, chamber orchestras, chamber groups, opera companies...

... and the composers themselves...

instead of pandering to the lowest common kulcheral denominators, then maybe I will take notice.

An excellent point, Cato. To hell with those f****** streaming services!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 25, 2021, 06:20:03 AM
Didn't your initial post say you were interested in it?

Personally I wish Apple would stick to computer hardware and software and not focus on becoming a media company. The main economic result of streaming services is to divert revenue from art producers and creators to tech companies, and will ultimately starve creators of resources.

Interested in seeing how it'll be developed, sure, but interested enough to pay them a monthly fee with nothing in my hands as an exchange? Absolutely not and you also bring up a good point, SH.

Brian

Guess "I'll definitely onboard if the price is right" from reply #2 has gone the way of whichever avatar you were using at the time  ;D

Spotted Horses

Currently I have a large collection of classical music (CDs, mostly ripped, and lossless Digital downloads). I effectively have my own private streaming service that I don't have to pay for. The cost of purchasing the occasional item not in my library amounts to less than the monthly cost of a streaming service, so it doesn't make economic sense to me, even putting aside not liking the idea that I am supporting tech companies rather than creators. If my collection were destroyed in some sort of natural disaster I guess I'd have to re-evaluate the economics. But the fact that your favorite content can disappear from the streaming services without warning is close to being a deal-breaker for me.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 25, 2021, 01:43:14 PM
Guess "I'll definitely onboard if the price is right" from reply #2 has gone the way of whichever avatar you were using at the time  ;D

Hah! :P Yes, I've definitely changed my view on streaming services since that particular post, Brian, although that opinion was never a supportive one.

lordlance

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 25, 2021, 05:56:20 PM
Currently I have a large collection of classical music (CDs, mostly ripped, and lossless Digital downloads). I effectively have my own private streaming service that I don't have to pay for. The cost of purchasing the occasional item not in my library amounts to less than the monthly cost of a streaming service, so it doesn't make economic sense to me, even putting aside not liking the idea that I am supporting tech companies rather than creators. If my collection were destroyed in some sort of natural disaster I guess I'd have to re-evaluate the economics. But the fact that your favorite content can disappear from the streaming services without warning is close to being a deal-breaker for me.

Your CDs can stop working too or you can lose them in a natural disaster too. Spotify on the other hand isn't going any time soon. Neither is their contracts with music conglomerates like WMG and Universal.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Mirror Image

Quote from: lordlance on December 26, 2021, 01:26:28 AM
Your CDs can stop working too...

This is highly unlikely. A CD player will stop working before a CD does. I doubt anyone will play a CD million times, also the CD isn't going anywhere as so many think it is --- there are, thankfully, people like me out there that actually value having ownership of the music. With a streaming service, you get nothing. Maybe you're just not a sentimental type or have any kind of feeling about the physical medium, but there are people out there that are and that love owning the music they cherish. Either you get that or you don't.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 26, 2021, 06:21:20 AM
This is highly unlikely. A CD player will stop working before a CD does. I doubt anyone will play a CD million times, also the CD isn't going anywhere as so many think it is --- there are, thankfully, people like me out there that actually value having ownership of the music. With a streaming service, you get nothing. Maybe you're just not a sentimental type or have any kind of feeling about the physical medium, but there are people out there that are and that love owning the music they cherish. Either you get that or you don't.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 26, 2021, 06:21:20 AM
John (and others here who rip their music onto their computers and/or another hard drive),

How often do you bother to dig through your bins to find the CD(s) to read or reread the liner notes when you go to listen to a work?  Or for translations of the text when it's in a language that you don't know?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 28, 2021, 04:16:39 AM
John (and others here who rip their music onto their computers and/or another hard drive),

How often do you bother to dig through your bins to find the CD(s) to read or reread the liner notes when you go to listen to a work?  Or for translations of the text when it's in a language that you don't know?

PD

Well, first, you have to know where the CD is located. ;) I haven't read every single liner note that has come with a CD I've bought (remember that I own thousands of them), but, for me, the whole point of owning the physical medium is much akin to someone who prefers owning a book instead of reading something from their iPad. It's simply not the same thing and never will be. I only started to rip a good bit of my collection to my computer because late at night, I do a lot of headphone listening so I'm not disturbing anyone. I'm obviously not going to rip every CD I own (as this would just be stupid and too time consuming), but when I'm done, I'll, at least, have a snapshot of my collection and this is good enough for me when listening at my computer. But the honest truth is I prefer listening on a CD player through and amplifier and a good pair of speakers. One thing that headphone listening does that I enjoy is it allows me to hear every single note on a recording. In other words, analytical listening and this is something I can't quite get with my stereo setup.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 28, 2021, 05:32:03 AM
Well, first, you have to know where the CD is located. ;) I haven't read every single liner note that has come with a CD I've bought (remember that I own thousands of them), but, for me, the whole point of owning the physical medium is much akin to someone who prefers owning a book instead of reading something from their iPad. It's simply not the same thing and never will be. I only started to rip a good bit of my collection to my computer because late at night, I do a lot of headphone listening so I'm not disturbing anyone. I'm obviously not going to rip every CD I own (as this would just be stupid and too time consuming), but when I'm done, I'll, at least, have a snapshot of my collection and this is good enough for me when listening at my computer. But the honest truth is I prefer listening on a CD player through and amplifier and a good pair of speakers. One thing that headphone listening does that I enjoy is it allows me to hear every single note on a recording. In other words, analytical listening and this is something I can't quite get with my stereo setup.
Do you listen to your CDs during the daytime at all (obviously, when not at work)?  If you haven't already, perhaps start saving up for a better stereo setup and/or if circumstances permit, a place of your own so that you don't have to worry so much about the volume?  Not easy these days, I know, with the way that housing prices have risen, but I really enjoy being able to listen through my stereo.  And opportunities will come--just be ready.  :)  In any event, just enjoy listening to the music--however you can!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter