The Fifth: Sibelius or Nielsen?

Started by Symphonic Addict, November 24, 2021, 06:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Fifth Symphony you would like to conserve for yourself for the rest of your life?

Sibelius
Nielsen

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2021, 07:15:03 PM
I love Nielsen, but he will always be second to me when it comes to Sibelius. That's just the way it is --- this isn't a slight against Nielsen, but just how I feel. I'm not sure if I'd use the word inferior (even though you used slight in front of it) when talking about either one of these symphonies --- there's nothing slight about Sibelius' 5th in any way, shape or form. It's an incredible piece, but it's not my favorite Sibelius symphony. That honor goes to the 4th.

Sorry, I meant the one that moved you the most and most of the time when you listen to them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Jo498 on November 26, 2021, 12:19:40 AM
1 S
2 S
3 N
4 toughest choice; probably N as 4 and 5 are my favorites of his but 4 is also one of my Sibelius favs. I would have to re-listen and probably still not be able to decide
5 N but only by a little
6 S

Those could be my choices as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 26, 2021, 05:48:22 AM
I hear much more variation, quirkiness and ambition in N's piano works, but that's life ... Regarding the vocals+orchestra preference for Nielsen, the major disadvantage is of course the absence of Sibelius' 'Luonnatar', but you'd still be allowed to have the equally magnificent 'Kullervo' in the Symphonies section.

And as regards the piano+instruments, the preference for Sibelius is quite marginal, since Nielsen's Violin Sonatas are superb, and the small works for winds & piano nice; yet the early Piano Trio is unimportant. However, Sibelius' works in that field are generally more ambitious, including the piano quintet, and some of the piano trio works charming. Plus 'Malincolia' for cello & piano is impressive too ...

As regards 3rd Symphonies, I have a clear preference for N, S's being one of his simpler works IMHO.

Kullervo is mandatory for me, but I frankly could go without Luonnotar. Maybe I need an ideal recording to decide more wisely?

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 04:00:53 PM
Nielsen's 6th is probably the most challenging for me.

I did enjoy revisiting the 5th today, and will possibly do so again tomorrow.

The Sixth is quirky, no denying it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 04:00:53 PM
Nielsen's 6th is probably the most challenging for me.

I did enjoy revisiting the 5th today, and will possibly do so again tomorrow.

Sinfonia semplice is one of his most fascinating works. I rather enjoy the quirkiness of this piece, for me sounds like Nielsen goes mad, sick and sober at once.

I didn't understand the 5th at first either, but my curiosity was piqued because the music has something: personality, great music and themes. With subsequent listens I've really appreciated both of its musical development and language. For me it depicts a symphony in tempore belli (in time of war), with the first movement containing militaristic-like ideas, danger, conflict, struggle, a cathartic resolution and a so peaceful and pensive ending with the solo clarinet. A perfect closing to a perfect movement in my view.

The 2nd movement also has some reminiscences of struggle, but here Nielsen is more contrapuntist in the different sections of the movement, although the development and transitions between its 4 sections continues sounding organic.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

I've come to appreciate Holmboe's 6th like the response to his compatriot's creation. Two movements, the one is mysterious, like evoking a somewhat primitive dawn, a sunrise. The 2nd is more energetic, with sharp-edged rhythms and more vitality. The orchestration benefits the brass and the snare drum very nicely. I think Holmboe was one of their greatest music composers.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

This thread reminds me I ought to revisit Kullervo... some day, perhaps not tomorrow. It's damn long, I really have to block off some time to listen to it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 06:43:46 PM
This thread reminds me I ought to revisit Kullervo... some day, perhaps not tomorrow. It's damn long, I really have to block off some time to listen to it.

And yet, you were listening to Mahler's 8th for what appeared to be several weeks with no such complaints. ;) Kullervo is astonishing piece and I don't care what the naysayers say about it. Give a listen to the Dausgaard performance if you have it. Berglund/Bournemouth on EMI and Neeme Järvi on BIS also receive firm recommendations from me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 27, 2021, 05:15:58 PM
Kullervo is mandatory for me, but I frankly could go without Luonnotar. Maybe I need an ideal recording to decide more wisely?

Not me! I think it's one of the finest creations for voice and orchestra there is! Truly an exquisite work from start to finnish...errr...finish. ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2021, 07:57:02 PM
And yet, you were listening to Mahler's 8th for what appeared to be several weeks with no such complaints. ;) Kullervo is astonishing piece and I don't care what the naysayers say about it. Give a listen to the Dausgaard performance if you have it. Berglund/Bournemouth on EMI and Neeme Järvi on BIS also receive firm recommendations from me.

Touché  :laugh:  The recording I have and enjoy is the Vänskä/Lahti. I shall have to check out the ones you mention, but I'm going to wait until the work makes a bit more sense to me before I start buying other recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 08:48:35 PM
Touché  :laugh:  The recording I have and enjoy is the Vänskä/Lahti. I shall have to check out the ones you mention, but I'm going to wait until the work makes a bit more sense to me before I start buying other recordings.

;) Who said anything about buying? You can listen to some of these recordings online I'm sure.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2021, 09:08:39 PM
;) Who said anything about buying? You can listen to some of these recordings online I'm sure.

Nevertheless, the idea is I ought to be spending time with the recordings I did buy. But I'll be sure to check out the Dausgaard and Berglund recordings eventually.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2021, 07:58:34 PM
Not me! I think it's one of the finest creations for voice and orchestra there is! Truly an exquisite work from start to finnish...errr...finish. ;D

Oh, that post of Cesar's slipped beneath my radar. Luonnatar is marvelous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 28, 2021, 03:19:05 PM
Oh, that post of Cesar's slipped beneath my radar. Luonnatar is marvelous!

Yes, it is! The only quibble is that I'm not crazy about it.  ;)

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

I find Sibelius a rather uneven composer (although the lesser stuff mostly is mercifully obscure) but Luonnotar mus be one of the most original and fascinating of his works. One cannot even say if this is more like a song, a scene or a tone poem with a singer.
Overall, Sibelius seems to be at his best more original in the sense of unique style and atmosphere than Nielsen, but I overall prefer Nielsen with his more eclectic, colorful music.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

I voted for Sibelius; however, that said, to me it's rather like asking which variety of apple do you prefer as I like more than one.  :)  Must admit that I don't play Nielsen that often; I should dip into his musical waters more often...much easier for me to dive into Sibelius.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

1-S
2-N
3-N
4-S
5-S
6-SN (Can't choose)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about