EJ Moeran

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 05:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Here'a a better quality of the one that you found, Jeffrey:

A few other good ones:

J

They always wore suits in those days, even while just lounging around the house, - huh?

I typically play the piano in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on May 21, 2020, 04:25:29 PM
They always wore suits in those days, even while just lounging around the house, - huh?

I typically play the piano in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Well, it is a job after all. Many composers, especially back then, would wake up at 8 AM and begin work and stop around 5 PM.

J

Even in that famous photo of Moeran walking hand in hand with Peers Coetmore on a moor somewhere (see the Lyrita cover of Moeran's Cello Concerto) he's wearing a suit, - albeit in more casual style than his "home suit". But true "casualwear" didn't exist then, did it?

calyptorhynchus

This was before central heating, a good wool suit is warm and practical attire for all those months when the British climate is on the cold side (10-12  ;)).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2020, 03:43:20 PM
Here'a a better quality of the one that you found, Jeffrey:

A few other good ones:

Indeed John -thanks. He usually has a soulful troubled look about him and it is nice to see him looking happier.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

What are some good works by Moeran? I would like to check out his music. He's been recommended to me before, but I can't remember which pieces.

Papy Oli

Get that one immediately ;D

[asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin]

then that :

[asin]B00GK8P1HI[/asin]

also that :

[asin]B00013BOF6[/asin]

Jeffrey will vouch for that :

[asin]B000OCZ1P8[/asin]

0:) :)

Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 22, 2020, 05:21:00 AM

[asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin]

then that :

[asin]B00GK8P1HI[/asin]

also that :

[asin]B00013BOF6[/asin]

[asin]B000OCZ1P8[/asin]

good choices all - the string quartets are lovely as well...... (Maggini/Naxos)

Daverz

[asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin]

The latest remastering is a great sonic improvement over that CD, though. 

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?cs=1&q=moeran#quickview/album/37627

J

For anyone who missed the link some time and many pages ago originally offered by another poster, here's a dissertation by Ian Maxwell titled "The Importance of Being Ernest John: Challenging the Misconceptions About the Life and Works of E. J. Moeran", a thoroughly documented and fascinating study that reviews all the previous literature and comes to often different conclusions about many things that had been thought well established:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/30276193.pdf

Reputed not to work in the UK, however.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on May 22, 2020, 05:33:44 PM
For anyone who missed the link some time and many pages ago originally offered by another poster, here's a dissertation by Ian Maxwell titled "The Importance of Being Ernest John: Challenging the Misconceptions About the Life and Works of E. J. Moeran", a thoroughly documented and fascinating study that reviews all the previous literature and comes to often different conclusions about many things that had been thought well established:

That link did work Greg. Thanks for posting it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

In addition to Olivier's recommendations, all of which I agree with, I would suggest these.
Dilkes's more intimate version of the Symphony is a compliment to the more magisterial Boult version and I wouldn't be without it. It is available in various manifestations and the one I posted makes a nice programme (available in expensively - in the UK anyway).
Coetmore was Moeran's wife and her performance of the Cello Concerto on Lyrita is the most moving of all (with Boult's accompaniment). Having said that she had ceased to play regularly by the time she made the recording and it is a bit 'rough' in places. However, I would not be without it either - I find the climax of the last movement overwhelming in that recording. Del Mar's recording of the lovely 'Sinfonietta' is my favourite version:
[/img][/img]

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: J on May 22, 2020, 05:33:44 PM

Excellent, Greg! I own Geoffrey Self's study, which is also slightly apologetic when it comes to Moeran's 'originality' and whether his music has its own 'voice'. It will be Interesting to see what this study will bring to the table.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vers la flamme

[asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin]

then that :

[asin]B00GK8P1HI[/asin]

also that :

[asin]B00013BOF6[/asin]

[asin]B000OCZ1P8[/asin]

Thanks my friend, we'll take it one step at a time.  ;D The first one looks good. The Lyrita label has its die-hard fans here on the forums and I've been meaning to check it out.

Roasted Swan

The attached might be of interest - a brief press-cutting I have.  Moeran struggles with his health and personal well-being are well known.  This is a little further insight......

J.Z. Herrenberg

Sad. The Great War had a detrimental effect on him for the rest of his life (shrapnel in the head).

vandermolen

Yes, very sad indeed. Moeran was injured during the Great War and had a piece of shrapnel embedded in his head which couldn't be safely removed. This is believed to have undermined his mental as well as his physical health. Thanks for posting the very interesting article RS.

J

Quote from: vandermolen on May 24, 2020, 01:12:42 AM
Yes, very sad indeed. Moeran was injured during the Great War and had a piece of shrapnel embedded in his head which couldn't be safely removed. This is believed to have undermined his mental as well as his physical health. Thanks for posting the very interesting article RS.

Ian Maxwell refers to the circumstances and consequences of Moeran's injury as "the most sensational aspect of the Moeran Myth", to which he gives elaborate and meticulous attention (beginning on page 154), concluding much of what has been believed isn't factual, - "persuasive but unsupported stories" as he puts it, - and really digs into things in provocative and eye-opening fashion to support that judgment (the summary of which begins on page 181).  It's fascinating, and does at least render "shrapnel in the head and its effects" open to question (a key element of Maxwell's case is speculative, however). We've perhaps accepted Geoffrey Self's sketch of Moeran's life (my only substantial resource up to now, apart from CD notes, - and whose own sources Maxwell repeatedly picks apart) too uncritically, - and not only in reference to the "war wound" issue.  Good to have beliefs challenged, even with no definitive outcome, - though not quite so comfortably and authoritatively being able to repeat what we thought we knew can be a bummer.

BTW, that "motoring incident" referred to in the press clipping Roasted Swan reproduces is treated in detail by Maxwell also.

It's Roasted Swan who first alerted me to Maxwell's study in this thread awhile back, for which I am very grateful.