EJ Moeran

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 05:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 10, 2020, 12:07:52 PM
We rarely disagree!  I happened to relisten to this disc a couple of months ago for the simple reason that my early/first reaction had been dismissive and given the generally positive response I wondered if I'd over-reacted.  In fact I think I enjoyed it even less the second time!  And the icing on the cake are the accompanying Ireland orchestrations which sound nothing like Ireland would have ever scored for orchestra.  For me a rare Dutton-dud.

I thought the Ireland orchestration sounded a bit like Delius in places - I still enjoyed it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

vandermolen, I coudn't send you PM because your message box is full.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Thank you! I thought as a subscriber I had almost unlimited PM storage but evidently not! I'll have to have a PM sort out and thank you for letting me know. Hopefully I will be in contact again soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on June 11, 2020, 04:49:00 PM
vandermolen, I coudn't send you PM because your message box is full.
PS my forum profile includes my email address, so if you, or anyone else, wants to contact me please feel free to do it that way until I sort the PM problem out.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on June 11, 2020, 11:39:12 PM
Thank you! I thought as a subscriber I had almost unlimited PM storage but evidently not! I'll have to have a PM sort out and thank you for letting me know. Hopefully I will be in contact again soon.

PS my forum profile includes my email address, so if you, or anyone else, wants to contact me please feel free to do it that way until I sort the PM problem out.

No problem. Yes, the PM storage runs out easily. I sent you email instead for now.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Irons

From 1943 the Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra is one of Moeran's best works in my opinion, even that my preference is for strings over piano. A kaleidoscope of a work both musically and emotionally, there is a moment where time itself is put on hold. My impression of Moeran is of an instinctive composer but the Rhapsody breaks the mould in so far as seemingly a composition with a structure brilliantly conceived. A fine Lyrita recording and John McCabe rates the work highly which is obvious in the commitment to the piece by his performance.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 24, 2020, 01:19:54 PM
From 1943 the Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra is one of Moeran's best works in my opinion, even that my preference is for strings over piano. A kaleidoscope of a work both musically and emotionally, there is a moment where time itself is put on hold. My impression of Moeran is of an instinctive composer but the Rhapsody breaks the mould in so far as seemingly a composition with a structure brilliantly conceived. A fine Lyrita recording and John McCabe rates the work highly which is obvious in the commitment to the piece by his performance.

Interesting Lol. Of course I had that fine old Lyrita LP. I must listen to the work again as it's a long time since I heard it.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2020, 01:28:59 PM
Interesting Lol. Of course I had that fine old Lyrita LP. I must listen to the work again as it's a long time since I heard it.

A work Jeffrey that I think would appeal to someone not into Moeran.

That, the symphony, violin and cello concertos are my favourite works by him. Well thought of but the penny is yet to drop for the Serenade and Sinfonietta. I deed to switch to a different recording maybe.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2020, 01:58:10 AM
A work Jeffrey that I think would appeal to someone not into Moeran.

That, the symphony, violin and cello concertos are my favourite works by him. Well thought of but the penny is yet to drop for the Serenade and Sinfonietta. I deed to switch to a different recording maybe.
I like the Sinfonietta Lol but don't (yet) rate the Serenade so highly.
My favourites are the Symphony and the Cello Concerto followed by the Sinfonietta and Cello Sonata. More recently I've come to increasingly admire the Violin Concerto.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2020, 02:22:56 AM
I like the Sinfonietta Lol but don't (yet) rate the Serenade so highly.
My favourites are the Symphony and the Cello Concerto followed by the Sinfonietta and Cello Sonata. More recently I've come to increasingly admire the Violin Concerto.

Yes, I am with you Jeffrey with the Cello Sonata - interestingly the Lyrita recording of this work is the only in my entire music collection that sends my speakers in a flap, literally! In other words no other recording reaches as low in bass. I am now able to operate bass cut in my pre but actually prefer to ride out the (bass) storm.

The string quartets are OK and string trio better but not Moeran at his best I feel. Need to explore works for piano.

For a composer I so admire who's output was quite small, I shamefully admit not getting around to the reverse side of the Lyrita Cello Concerto LP, Overture for a Masque and Rhapsody No.2. Are you familiar with these pieces, Jeffrey?

Blimey, its hot in leafy Surrey!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2020, 07:08:10 AM
Yes, I am with you Jeffrey with the Cello Sonata - interestingly the Lyrita recording of this work is the only in my entire music collection that sends my speakers in a flap, literally! In other words no other recording reaches as low in bass. I am now able to operate bass cut in my pre but actually prefer to ride out the (bass) storm.

The string quartets are OK and string trio better but not Moeran at his best I feel. Need to explore works for piano.

For a composer I so admire who's output was quite small, I shamefully admit not getting around to the reverse side of the Lyrita Cello Concerto LP, Overture for a Masque and Rhapsody No.2. Are you familiar with these pieces, Jeffrey?

Blimey, its hot in leafy Surrey!

Yes, I like both of those works Lol. 'Overture to a Masque' doesn't sound very promising but it is a very characteristic and sometimes moving work. Far too hot for me. Can't stand it. I can't imagine anything worse than being on a packed beach in Bournemouth catching Coronavirus. Bring on Winter! This may sound like 'grumpy old man' syndrome but, due to Hay-fever I hated summer as a child and sat my university final exams during the appalling Summer of 1976 which went on forever.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2020, 11:10:37 AM
Yes, I like both of those works Lol. 'Overture to a Masque' doesn't sound very promising but it is a very characteristic and sometimes moving work. Far too hot for me. Can't stand it. I can't imagine anything worse than being on a packed beach in Bournemouth catching Coronavirus. Bring on Winter! This may sound like 'grumpy old man' syndrome but, due to Hay-fever I hated summer as a child and sat my university final exams during the appalling Summer of 1976 which went on forever.

Thanks, will give a spin. Listened to VC last night, had the ring of Delius in parts I thought.

In 1976 I was operating a Hoffman garment press in the basement of a shop in London with one extractor fan for company. Young man then so got through it but don't know how!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2020, 11:49:39 PM
Thanks, will give a spin. Listened to VC last night, had the ring of Delius in parts I thought.

In 1976 I was operating a Hoffman garment press in the basement of a shop in London with one extractor fan for company. Young man then so got through it but don't know how!
OT
Sounds appalling.

aukhawk

Summer of 76 went on forever for me too - but in a good way

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on June 27, 2020, 02:46:18 AM
Pleased to hear it!

Christo

Quote from: aukhawk on June 27, 2020, 02:46:18 AM
Don't tell me you once had a Summer over there!  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Christo on June 28, 2020, 01:14:09 AM
Don't tell me you once had a Summer over there!  ???

Wasn't the summer of '76 the "plague" of ladybirds?  I remember a year when the school playground was carpeted with ladybirds and you could not walk anywhere without crushing thousands - it was quite traumatic!  This was in Liverpool - and for the avoidance of any doubt I'd just like to mention we are now Premier League Champions in case anyone hadn't heard.........

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 28, 2020, 02:38:47 AM
Wasn't the summer of '76 the "plague" of ladybirds?  I remember a year when the school playground was carpeted with ladybirds and you could not walk anywhere without crushing thousands - it was quite traumatic!  This was in Liverpool - and for the avoidance of any doubt I'd just like to mention we are now Premier League Champions in case anyone hadn't heard.........
Yes, I had noticed that. Were you one of the attendees at the unofficial Rave Party celebrations in the city centre?
;D

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 28, 2020, 05:44:08 AM
Yes, I had noticed that. Were you one of the attendees at the unofficial Rave Party celebrations in the city centre?
;D

I now live in sedate Surrey where I'm not sure we do raves - even after a 30 year wait......

vandermolen

I was pleased and surprised to see that the indomitable David Hurwitz has done a comparative survey of the Moeran Symphony. I largely agree with his comments, although I especially like the Neville Dilkes recording. I have come to appreciate the Handley version more over the past year or so:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJymxkTi8Vc