EJ Moeran

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 05:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

This not only whets my appetite, I'm positively drooling...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: HotFXMan on March 16, 2021, 01:49:20 AM
No plans for a paperback edition at the moment. However, there will be an eBook version alongside the hardback.
Thanks v much.

The discovery of Moeran's Symphony (Dilkes LP) had a great impact on my youthful self.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 16, 2021, 01:52:21 AM
That's excellent news (eBook)!

Is it best to order direct form the publishers?  You hear stories of the big online retailers driving such punitive deals with publishers and authors that any profit margin for the creators is all but eliminated.....

J

Delius needs a similar effort to what you've accomplished with Moeran.  There's never been a definitive biography that ties all the threads together.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Agreed. It's like a broken mirror.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

HotFXMan

Quote from: J on March 16, 2021, 08:07:56 AM
Delius needs a similar effort to what you've accomplished with Moeran.  There's never been a definitive biography that ties all the threads together.
A new book on Delius is being published the same day as mine on Moeran. Coincidentally, it has been written by my doctoral supervisor Jeremy Dibble.

J.Z. Herrenberg

HotFXMan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 16, 2021, 04:48:50 AM
Is it best to order direct form the publishers?  You hear stories of the big online retailers driving such punitive deals with publishers and authors that any profit margin for the creators is all but eliminated.....
Since my royalty percentage is pitiful, it really makes little difference from my point of view. I guess you're best to go for wherever you get the best deal.

J

Quote from: HotFXMan on March 16, 2021, 08:16:29 AM
Since my royalty percentage is pitiful, it really makes little difference from my point of view. I guess you're best to go for wherever you get the best deal.

Even were it to become a big hit among Moeran enthusiasts (as it should and will be assuming its existence becomes known), just how many of those are there in this world?   I suppose libraries are always the most reliable stalwarts in purchasing such volumes, and willing to pay a hefty price for them also.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: J on March 16, 2021, 04:23:11 PM
Even were it to become a big hit among Moeran enthusiasts (as it should and will be assuming its existence becomes known), just how many of those are there in this world?   I suppose libraries are always the most reliable stalwarts in purchasing such volumes, and willing to pay a hefty price for it also.

To my mind £40/45 is very reasonable for a high quality hardback book.  I tend to buy this type of publication as soon as they appear because it seems depressingly short how long they are "in print".  I'll be ordering the Moeran book for sure and probably the Delius book too!

HotFXMan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 17, 2021, 12:19:24 AM
To my mind £40/45 is very reasonable for a high quality hardback book.  I tend to buy this type of publication as soon as they appear because it seems depressingly short how long they are "in print".  I'll be ordering the Moeran book for sure and probably the Delius book too!
My contract with the publisher envisages a print run of about 600 hardback copies, and this seems to be usual for academic books with a very limited circulation. The publisher's catalogue includes some very abstruse works, the market for which would clearly be very restricted. Academic book publishing is rarely about making money!

J

There are few single volumes over the years I've been willing to pay $80(US) for (Amazon's pre-publication list price).  This will be one of them.

I remember when Tassie's Myaskovsky bio first appeared I saw it around for $50 or $60(US), but decided to hold off and wait for a cheaper used copy to appear.  I'm still waiting, and it now seems impossible to find under $100.

That's not happening with Dr Maxwell's Moeran book.

bhodges

Quote from: HotFXMan on March 15, 2021, 06:23:26 AM
Thank you. Since I don't know the Forum policy on advertising and promoting one's own work, I have not given any specific details of the book title or publisher, but a Google search of Moeran coupled with my surname will bring up the relevant information.

Speaking as one of the moderators here, your courtesy and discretion makes me glad to have you posting, and clearly there are many here who are delighted to know of your new book. I confess not to know much of Moeran's work, but perhaps this will spur some exploration!

--Bruce

HotFXMan

Quote from: J on March 17, 2021, 08:00:13 AM
There are few single volumes over the years I've been willing to pay $80(US) for (Amazon's pre-publication list price).  This will be one of them.

I remember when Tassie's Myaskovsky bio first appeared I saw it around for $50 or $60(US), but decided to hold off and wait for a cheaper used copy to appear.  I'm still waiting, and it now seems impossible to find under $100.

While I would not wish to appear as excessively promoting the Durham University Music Department (particularly in the light of Brewski's kind comments), your mention of Myaskovsky prompts me to alert you to the publication, also on 18 June 2021, of another book from that currently prolific stable. It is "Nikolay Myaskovsky - A Composer and His Times" by Patrick Zuk

bhodges

Quote from: HotFXMan on March 17, 2021, 09:33:46 AM
While I would not wish to appear as excessively promoting the Durham University Music Department (particularly in the light of Brewski's kind comments), your mention of Myaskovsky prompts me to alert you to the publication, also on 18 June 2021, of another book from that currently prolific stable. It is "Nikolay Myaskovsky - A Composer and His Times" by Patrick Zuk

Not to worry about Durham. We have a number of composers, writers, and other creative types here who periodically promote their work, or their institutions. All fine, as long as the forum's main purpose is kept in mind: discussion of (mostly) classical music.

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: J on March 17, 2021, 08:00:13 AM

It's (NYM Tassie) coming out in paperback soon Greg.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: HotFXMan on March 17, 2021, 09:33:46 AM
V interesting about NYM biography as well.

Roasted Swan

Look what arrived in today's post!  Very excited to start reading this......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 08, 2021, 08:50:34 AM
Wow! Am most jealous. Let us know what it's like. I have the Geoffrey Self book but that is mainly about the music.

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 08, 2021, 08:50:34 AM

That will be a good read. I have always thought the best subject of a biopic of an English composer would be Moeran. There can't be many who rode a motorcycle naked!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.