EJ Moeran

Started by tjguitar, April 15, 2007, 05:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

I have had minimal exposure to the music of EJ Moeran until now. I now have four albums which will get me properly initiated into and somewhat familiar with his music. This CD is the first of them.

Overture for a Masque: This is buoyant and somewhat celebratory music. This work also demonstrates to me that the composer had a keen sense of orchestration.

In the Mountain Country: This music is both lyrical and atmospheric. I find it to be quite evocative.

Rhapsody No. 1: Here, again, we have lyrical and atmospheric music [very much traditional or folk based] which is enhanced by very good orchestration. The music and its direction here is broad and expansive.

Rhapsody No. 2: The Irish influence of the folk music and indeed the landscape of Ireland that very much flavours this music is very much apparent. However, it is the quality of his orchestration that makes it particularly atmospheric and evocative for me. It is lush and full sounding without sounding sentimental in any way whatsoever. That aspect is both engaging and appealing.

Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra: The same basic formula of folk based music enhanced by good orchestration is employed here. However, this time the musical language is more adventurous and complex, particularly in the voice of the piano. When compared with the other works on this album, this work has a complexion of its own which is quite engaging and intriguing. The slow movement/section is particularly appealing for me.

vandermolen

You might also enjoy this CD Fergus:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: HotFXMan on August 17, 2021, 07:49:42 AM

My own opinion, for which I provide ample support in my book, is that In the Mountain Country is an assured, original and imaginative work that effectively paints a tone picture of the landscape that inspired it.

Fergus, it was the quote above posted on this thread by the author of a Moeran biography that inspired me to purchase the Falletta CD. Something I have not regretted. I may me mistaken but I seem to recall him of the opinion that "In the Mountain Country" one of his favourite Moeran works. You never know HotFXMan may come out of the shadows to confirm that. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Szykneij

This thread motivated me to revisit the one and only Moeran CD I own. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if this particular recording has already been mentioned. Rereading much of the thread, I didn't see it but could have missed it.

I find the Fantasy Quartet for Oboe and Strings" to be the most interesting piece on the CD. Basically, one of the violins of a string quartet is replaced by the oboe, giving the composer a broader timbral palette to work with. The result sounds to me very concerto-like.

I find the difference in mood and compositional style between the String Quartet No. 1 (bright, pastoral, and harmonic) and the Sonata for Violin and Piano (more dissonant and dark) striking for two works composed so closely together in time. The beautiful cello lines starting and ending the first movement of the String Quartet might be seeds of his later cello compositions.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

vandermolen

Quote from: Szykneij on February 08, 2022, 04:40:52 AM
This thread motivated me to revisit the one and only Moeran CD I own. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if this particular recording has already been mentioned. Rereading much of the thread, I didn't see it but could have missed it.

I find the Fantasy Quartet for Oboe and Strings" to be the most interesting piece on the CD. Basically, one of the violins of a string quartet is replaced by the oboe, giving the composer a broader timbral palette to work with. The result sounds to me very concerto-like.

I find the difference in mood and compositional style between the String Quartet No. 1 (bright, pastoral, and harmonic) and the Sonata for Violin and Piano (more dissonant and dark) striking for two works composed so closely together in time. The beautiful cello lines starting and ending the first movement of the String Quartet might be seeds of his later cello compositions.
That's a very fine Moeran CD which I have also enjoyed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 07, 2022, 02:27:43 PM
You might also enjoy this CD Fergus:

Thank you for the recommendation, Jeffrey.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on February 08, 2022, 01:04:27 AM
Fergus, it was the quote above posted on this thread by the author of a Moeran biography that inspired me to purchase the Falletta CD. Something I have not regretted. I may me mistaken but I seem to recall him of the opinion that "In the Mountain Country" one of his favourite Moeran works. You never know HotFXMan may come out of the shadows to confirm that. ;)

Interesting. Lol.
Yes, that Falletta CD is excellent.

Albion

Moeran is now pretty much only remembered for his splendid Symphony in G minor (1926-37) but there are three excellent Chandos discs assembled from their catalogue covering virtually all the major works

(CH 10235X, CH 10169X and CH 10168X)

and there is an excellent centenary documentary broadcast in 1994...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_whHkIQ0A8

Moeran's music is well worth getting to know and the Chandos recordings are all excellent under Vernon Handley and Norman Del Mar. Supplement these with the Chandos recording of the choral suite Phyllida and Corydon (CHAN 9182) and the fascinating "realisation" of Symphony No.2 by Martin Yates on Dutton (CDLX 7281).

:)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Maestro267

It's true though, and even then it's not like concert programmers are stumbling over themselves to programme the symphony. We as a collective are not representative of *everyone*.