Books Purchased Today

Started by ritter, December 07, 2022, 01:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Hat tip to Florestan  ;)

In the wonderful Librería Antonio Azorín in El Escorial I located (and bought on Saturday last) an affordable copy in mint condition of the 1947 edition by (now defunct) publishers Biblioteca Nueva of selected works by Leopoldo Alas "Clarín", including his novel La Regenta, widely considered the greatest 19th century Spanish novel.

Tooled leather covers with gold lettering and ornamentation, 1309 pages on India paper.

An object of beauty, and a great opportunity to revisit literature that I thoroughly enjoyed in my youth.  :)
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« ...tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

Florestan

That looks awesome, Rafael.

I'll return the compliment by boosting your thread with a cross-post from the reading thread.

Just bought: Thomas Mann - Complete Short Stories & Novellas, Romanian translation in two volumes.

Covers read: Nobel Prize for Literature - Death in Venice, Mario and the Wizard - Short Stories
"Art is no excuse for boring people." - Jules Renard

"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

j winter

Purchased earlier this week... found a very cheap copy at my local used bookstore  8)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

SimonNZ

At two different secondhand bookshops this week I found two books I'd been wanting for some time:

Carl Sandburg's biography of Lincoln. Not the full multi-volume, but the one-volume abridgement he made himself.

Frances Fitzgerald's Fire In The Lake. 1972 work that was the first to examine the Vietnam war from the Vietnamese side.

Both Pulitzer winners, I think.

SimonNZ

MN Dave

I will not purchase another book until I finish reading 25 off my shelves.  I am currently on numbers 5 and 6.

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

j winter

The Complete Aztec Ace, 15 issues of wild independent comic goodness from the 80's.  Seriously, how can you resist this cover blurb:

"An action-packed, intellectual, time-travel adventure, Aztec Ace stars Caza (AKA Ace) as he travels between the Aztec Empire and his home in the 23rd century. Ace, along with his pupil Bridget Chronopolis and his navigator named Head (the floating disembodied head of Sigmund Freud), struggles to save his own dimension from time paradoxes created by his enemy, the mysterious Nine-Crocodile...."

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice