Your Favorite Book Cover Art

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, May 02, 2023, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mine. What are yours? Cover art of favorite books are welcome too.

DavidW

vandermolen

I like this one - Caspar David Friedrich painting:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on May 03, 2023, 10:40:46 AMI like this one - Caspar David Friedrich painting:

Very nice! I didn't know the cover!

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 03, 2023, 11:53:04 AMVery nice! I didn't know the cover!
It's an old one Manabu - I read it at university!

I also like this one:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Two more:

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

I remember my mother reading this (large paperback single edition) before I ever heard of it - always liked the cover:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

ritter

One I'm particularly fond of is the (first) Faber paperback edition of Lawrence Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet (in four volumes). This was the edition that was in my parents' library, and with which I first got acquainted with these works.

What Faber did was to use a design similar to that of the original hardcover edition of the first novel, Justine, and apply it uniformly to the whole series in paperback.

ritter

And not "cover art", but IMHO a miracle of design: the uniform covers of Gallimard's "collection blanche" (which actually is not really blanche, but jaune clair  ;) ):

The design has been subject to subtle variations since it was first launched in the early 20th century, and still feels absolutely fresh.

Jo498

My favorite book when I was about 12 was "The Neverending Story". One point of this book is that the reader is himself reading a version of the eponymous "magic" book and thus the original book (and probably many more recent printings) the letters are set in red and green and the only illustrations are the elaborate one-page initials to each chapter.
The dust jacket is nice but not very special; the special thing in the edition I had (and it must have been a pretty early one, it appeared in 1979, and I probably got it in 1983 or 84) was the red cloth cover that had the famous Auryn symbol (a variant of "ouroboros" with two entwined snakes biting their tails) in the cloth texture.
It's hard to capture it well on photographs.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Similar to the Gamillard, the Loeb Classical Library covers have a constant format. The only variation is color: green for Greek and red for Latin. Harvard University Press is the publisher.
A couple of the ones I own.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Peter Power Pop

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on May 04, 2023, 07:33:20 PMSimilar to the Gamillard, the Loeb Classical Library covers have a constant format. The only variation is color: green for Greek and red for Latin. Harvard University Press is the publisher.
A couple of the ones I own.

Are they bilingual editions?
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on May 05, 2023, 01:07:14 AMAre they bilingual editions?

Yes. Critical edition of the original on the lefthand page; prose translation on the righthand page. Over the years they've done almost every Greek or Roman writer from the classical period from whom we have complete works.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on May 05, 2023, 03:52:31 AMYes. Critical edition of the original on the lefthand page; prose translation on the righthand page. Over the years they've done almost every Greek or Roman writer from the classical period from whom we have complete works.

Great!  I wish a similar series existed in Romanian.