Coronation of King Charles III

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2023, 04:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Every clause and phrase of the above sickens me individually. This country has gone utterly mad.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 10, 2023, 07:00:17 AMPenny Mordaunt (lady with the sword) was shafted by the press and the power brokers behind the Tory party during the last campaign to replace Johnson. The prolonged attacks by the Daily Mail for example were sickening. After the Coronation her odds of being the next Conservative leader have been slashed by bookies. 
I thought that (to use your expression) she played a blinder. I was amused, however, when Matthew Paris (whilst praising her) wrote that she appeared to be wearing the outfit of a Scandinavian airline stewardess.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 09, 2023, 10:28:59 PMI very much agree with this and also found the 'three cheers' on the lawns of Buckingham Palace surprisingly moving. As for criticisms of the concert I wonder what people were expecting at that kind of event. The irony of 'You'll never walk alone' sung by the opera stars was not lost on my either following the 'Let's get rid of the monarchy' posters at Anfield (or words to that effect!) However, they could hardly have performed the last act of Boris Godunov at the Coronation Concert.
PS
All credit to Lionel Richie and Katy Perry (not to mention Miss Piggy and Kermit) for performing, unlike some of our own, home-grown talent like Adele, Spice Girls and Harry Styles who apparently declined their invitations. I can, however, understand why Elton John declined as he was closely associated with Princess Diana.
I believe that Adele was on tour at the time (maybe Vegas?) and had to decline.  Don't know about the rest.

Quote from: Irons on May 10, 2023, 07:00:17 AMPenny Mordaunt (lady with the sword)  ....
Good for her!  I thought that she looked stunning and did an impressive job.  As an aside, I read that she added various exercises to her workout in preparation for holding heavy sword.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Luke

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2023, 10:04:06 AMI thought that (to use your expression) she played a blinder. I was amused, however, when Matthew Paris (whilst praising her) wrote that she appeared to be wearing the outfit of a Scandinavian airline stewardess.

I liked all the comments quoting, in connection with Mordaunt, the same Monty Python 'constitutional peasants' skit I posted on Friday:

Quotestrange women distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2023, 10:05:23 AMI believe that Adele was on tour at the time (maybe Vegas?) and had to decline.  Don't know about the rest.
Good for her!  I thought that she looked stunning and did an impressive job.  As an aside, I read that she added various exercises to her workout in preparation for holding heavy sword.

PD
Thanks PD
Maybe PM will be PM one day!
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Luke

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2023, 10:38:04 AMMaybe PM will be PM one day!
 :)

*refusing to contemplate your inference - haven't we suffered enough?*

... Pietro Mascagni is a) dead and b) Italian, sorry.

vandermolen

Quote from: Luke on May 10, 2023, 10:44:08 AM*refusing to contemplate your inference - haven't we suffered enough?*

... Pietro Mascagni is a) dead and b) Italian, sorry.
Piet Mondrian as well!  ;D

vandermolen

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2023, 01:42:28 PMPiet Mondrian as well!  ;D

Peter Mandelson LIVES!!!!!!!! - be afraid........

Luke

I'm saying nothing about Piers Morgan...

vandermolen