Aram Khachaturian (1903-1978)

Started by vandermolen, August 28, 2007, 12:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2018, 12:31:52 AM
That's very interesting to hear Cesar. Some time ago I bought a recording with Tjeknavorian conducting the 'National Philharmonic Orchestra'. They used the same cover image as the RCA LP release of him conducting the First Symphony with the LSO and for a moment I thought that they had finally released that unsurpassed recording on CD - so I was a bit disappointed. Now, your post has encouraged me to listen to the complete Gayaneh. Oddly enough the cover image that you posted is identical to the one used on the CD including the composer's own recording of his underrated First Symphony:
[asin]B00ET820F2[/asin]

I never knew the recording of the 1st with Tjeknavorian and the LSO. It's a shame because that symphony is quite appealing, and a good candidate for a fine example of a 1st symphony.

As for Gayaneh, the music is often carefree with some deeply lovely moments, but the rule with this work is to have fun!  8)

cilgwyn

I finally managed to acquire the Kakhidze complete cd recording of Khatchaturian's Gayaneh,at a reasonable price.. I have had the recording as a download for sometime;but cd-r's just don't feel the same,somehow. Maybe,it's my age?! Sellers keep asking huge prices for this set,so I'm really looking forward to owning it! ;D I just hope it's in the condition described ("very good!"). It'll be nice to have all the track listings and timings too.
It's been a good week for cd purchases (but not my bank account! :(). Three deleted cd sets that are hard to find,at affordable prices,in one week!!!!

Daniel Jones: String Quartets   Chandos 2 cd's
Khatchaturian: Gayaneh Kakhidze   Melodiya 2 cd's
Tubin: Kratt     Alba 2 cd's

SymphonicAddict

That ballet is assured FUN! One of the catchiest works I know.

cilgwyn

I've got to say that bit,in Gayaneh,depicting the fire is great on full throttle! Just thrilling,exciting scoring! Fun!! ;D The Kakhidze recording beats the Tjeknavorian on RCA (good as it is) hands down! I'd have loved to have been able to be a fly on the wall,watching them recording it,too!

cilgwyn

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 25, 2018, 12:44:27 PM
I never knew the recording of the 1st with Tjeknavorian and the LSO. It's a shame because that symphony is quite appealing, and a good candidate for a fine example of a 1st symphony.

As for Gayaneh, the music is often carefree with some deeply lovely moments, but the rule with this work is to have fun!  8)
It really does need to be reissued. Tjeknavorian's RCA recording really does have a majesty,sweep and grandeur to it. He holds the whole edifice,together. It has an epic feel to it. Some of is quite thrilling;and the sound quality is excellent. You need to hear this recording before you pass verdict! I'm lucky! Someone made a really first rate,transfer from the original Lp,for me. I wonder how vandermolen is able to hear it? Have you a turntable (or record player?) or did you manage to get a transfer made,somehow?

kyjo

I'm hoping Naxos or CPO will get around to issuing a new recording of the 1st Symphony, seeing as they both recently issued recordings of the 2nd.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

cilgwyn

Unfortunately,the Kakhidze recording of Gayaneh,which arrived today,had stickers all over the case (non=peel off,but the case can be replaced). Worse! The second cd in the set is snapped part way through!!! I can see a request for a refund going off! I did had a feeling this one was too good to be true!! :( So,it's back to my 2 cd-r set;which I recorded via youtube,some time ago! :( ;D As Windsor Davies' Sergeant Major,of Seventies sitcom It Aint Half Hot Mum fame,might have said:

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 21, 2018, 02:38:40 AM
It really does need to be reissued. Tjeknavorian's RCA recording really does have a majesty,sweep and grandeur to it. He holds the whole edifice,together. It has an epic feel to it. Some of is quite thrilling;and the sound quality is excellent. You need to hear this recording before you pass verdict! I'm lucky! Someone made a really first rate,transfer from the original Lp,for me. I wonder how vandermolen is able to hear it? Have you a turntable (or record player?) or did you manage to get a transfer made,somehow?
No, I haven't heard it for years - but it lives on in my memory as it was so much better than all the other recordings. The only other one I like is the very old Alexander Gauk version but the sound is poor. I'm debating getting one of those new 'all in one' turntables and adding in a better quality stylus so that I can play and hopefully not chew up my old LPs which survived 'The Great Purge' of a few years ago. The Tjeknavorian Khachaturian Symphony No.1 on RCA with the LSO should be amongst them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 21, 2018, 02:14:20 PM
I'm hoping Naxos or CPO will get around to issuing a new recording of the 1st Symphony, seeing as they both recently issued recordings of the 2nd.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 22, 2018, 02:24:04 AM
Unfortunately,the Kakhidze recording of Gayaneh,which arrived today,had stickers all over the case (non=peel off,but the case can be replaced). Worse! The second cd in the set is snapped part way through!!! I can see a request for a refund going off! I did had a feeling this one was too good to be true!! :( So,it's back to my 2 cd-r set;which I recorded via youtube,some time ago! :( ;D As Windsor Davies' Sergeant Major,of Seventies sitcom It Aint Half Hot Mum fame,might have said:

That's very bad. I was delighted to find a recording of Dona Nobis Pacem by Vaughan Williams on an old Phillips LP at a second hand record shop in Manchester in the 1970s (Abravanel). I'd never heard it before. When I got on the train to return to London I decided to check the condition of the disc. Inside was an LP of Schubert's Trout Quintet.

cilgwyn

The cd was from a very well know purveyor. Quite ubiquitous,really! You know the one?!! Rossini wrote an overture (and an opera! ;D) about one. Not that I'm accusing them of that!! To be fair,as always in my experience of them,I had a prompt response and a refund will be provided as soon as they receive the broken wreck!! ::) Very disappointing,considering that the set is hard to get s/h at an affordable price. I'm also,rather shocked that Melodiya haven't reissued that recording. He is,and was,one of the most popular composers of the soviet era. Even Khrennikov got a 3cd box set before this famous ballet! (Perhaps they're still a bit scared of him?!).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 23, 2018, 02:48:58 AM
The cd was from a very well know purveyor. Quite ubiquitous,really! You know the one?!! Rossini wrote an overture (and an opera! ;D) about one. Not that I'm accusing them of that!! To be fair,as always in my experience of them,I had a prompt response and a refund will be provided as soon as they receive the broken wreck!! ::) Very disappointing,considering that the set is hard to get s/h at an affordable price. I'm also,rather shocked that Melodiya haven't reissued that recording. He is,and was,one of the most popular composers of the soviet era. Even Khrennikov got a 3cd box set before this famous ballet! (Perhaps they're still a bit scared of him?!).

Yes, I know that purveyor very well. They had a different name once, connected with a restraining device from Tudor England, which was often to be found in the village green and where troublemakers would be forced to sit and have rotten fruit etc thrown at them. I was once in such a device and had sopping wet sponges thrown at me, but all in a good cause. My then pupils clearly enjoyed the activity, some entering into the spirit of the activity with malicious glee.

I'm not sure that their quality control is that good as they send out so much stuff and they are not v helpful about responding to emails about the product, although I've had no problem with refunds.

cilgwyn

I remember once receiving some dvds from them. There were scratches on them and they didn't play properly. I sent them back and was surprised to receive a replacement with scratches at least several times worse!! I remember telling someone that they looked like Torville & dean had been skating on them! I have never enquired about a product & at least I know that they won't quibble over a refund if something is wrong with the thing! But their prices?! They're often so low compared to others. To be fair I've had some wonderful bargains.  It does seem like the luck of the draw with them. Lately,I have noticed an increase in the amount of items I need to complain about. Today,I bought a cd of Nielsen's Fourth & decided to buy it from someone else,even though the price was higher!! I'm hoping the Alba set of Tubin's Kratt will be in playable condition and!! ::) :( ;D Cases can be replaced,however. I've got loads of empty jewel cases of every kind. It's the cd's I'm worried about. And please don't let the booklet be reeking of fags!!! ???

cilgwyn

A scan of the cd I received;with the crack visible (if you look closely) at top,right! ??? :o :( And the back of the jewel case! :(

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 23, 2018, 04:55:47 AM
A scan of the cd I received;with the crack visible (if you look closely) at top,right! ??? :o :( And the back of the jewel case! :(

Yes, a shame. They should have checked the condition before posting.

cilgwyn

What a disappointment! I was even playing that bit with the fire breaking out,in my head,in anticipation!! The front is just as bad!! Funnily enough,I did have a feeling that this was too good to be true!!  :( ;D I notice,on the back of the case ;Artistic supervision : Aram Khatchaturyan! The great man himself! I was 16/17 years old when these recording sessions took place;only a few months before his death. I remember hearing that he had died on the radio. I had the RCA 2 Lp Tjeknavorian set,which was,supposedly,a complete recording. To be fair,it was excitingly played,by thev pick-up orchestra,and in excellent sound;but absolutely,pales in comparison to this recording.,which really brings out the splendour and exotic orchestration,to thrilling effect,like no other! Once you hear this,the Tjeknavorian recording is redundant. Although,I'll keep it for old times sake..........and I'm back to those cd-r's,aren't I?!! :( ;D Come on Melodiya. Let's have a nice,smart,looking,reissue!!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

A new movie about Khachaturian's life titled  "Sabre Dance" (different from the same title released in 2016) was released in Armenia, Japan and Russia this year. Hope it will be released in North America and Europe soon.

News article

https://en.armradio.am/2019/11/06/sabre-dance-aram-khachaturian-biopic-to-be-presented-at-american-film-market/

Trailer

https://youtu.be/a0vhOwS51Cg

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 01:10:10 PMJust bought:

I tried to avoid any duplication from my dad's own Khachaturian collection. I'm sure he'll want copies of all these. ;D

A lot of this music will be new to me and some of it will not as I already knew the Piano Concerto, much of Spartacus, a few excerpts from Gayane and perhaps the Violin Concerto. I do believe I have heard the 2nd symphony, but I can't recall much about it. I've come to enjoy his music much in the way a person may enjoy say their favorite ice cream or candy bar --- a little does seem to go a long way and you don't want to overdo it. I do enjoy what I've heard from him and think that Armenian folk influence (amongst other folk influences) really gives his music some earthiness that I find quite appealing. I certainly understand why someone wouldn't enjoy Khachaturian, but despite the misconceived notion of a lack of depth in his music, there is some loveliness and beauty to be found here. That famous Adagio from Spartacus being a case in point. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the discovery (and rediscovery) of this composer's music.

Roy Bland

A defect in ASV series is sound too much bombastic IMHO,this recording is superior

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 29, 2020, 05:29:21 PM
A defect in ASV series is sound too much bombastic IMHO,this recording is superior

Good! I like bombast! :D

Special edit: I'll also say that I did listen to about 15 minutes worth of one of the ASV recordings and I didn't have any issues with the sound quality.