Matthew Aucoin (b. 1990)

Started by bhodges, November 30, 2021, 07:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

In December I will see Eurydice at the Met, by the composer Matthew Aucoin. Much looking forward (reviews have been mostly positive), since I don't know his work at all.

From his website:
"An American composer, conductor, writer, pianist, and a 2018 MacArthur Fellow. He is Artist in Residence at Los Angeles Opera, and has worked as a composer and conductor with the Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, the American Repertory Theater, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and Music Academy of the West. He is co-Artistic Director of the American Modern Opera Company."

https://matthewaucoin.com/

--Bruce

T. D.

Thanks for posting.
I've seen the name, but know nothing of his music. Refreshing to see such a youngster; most of the "contemporary" composers I follow are boomers or older.
Tough to guess what to expect..."musical politics" must be heavily involved in commissions at the Met Opera level. Hope for the best!

bhodges

Yes, you're likely quite correct about the politics of the institution and how that affects commissions. I'm hoping that as Yannick Nézet-Séguin continues to make his mark, there will be more younger composers involved. (Not to mention, older composers -- including dead ones from the mid-20th century -- who have been inexplicably passed over.)

I missed the Terence Blanchard Fire Shut Up in My Bones, but hope to catch it later, since it was included on one of the HD broadcasts. Reviews were mixed, but never mind -- this is the kind of thing the Met should be doing all the time.

--Bruce

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brewski on December 01, 2021, 06:10:37 PM
Yes, you're likely quite correct about the politics of the institution and how that affects commissions. I'm hoping that as Yannick Nézet-Séguin continues to make his mark, there will be more younger composers involved. (Not to mention, older composers -- including dead ones from the mid-20th century -- who have been inexplicably passed over.)

I missed the Terence Blanchard Fire Shut Up in My Bones, but hope to catch it later, since it was included on one of the HD broadcasts. Reviews were mixed, but never mind -- this is the kind of thing the Met should be doing all the time.

--Bruce

I will see it in the movies next Wednesday; it is much cheaper and more convenient than venturing to the house live. But the original Sarah Ruhl is a tidy, 90-minute play without intermission that works charmingly from beginning to end. I'm a little leery of a 3-acter lasting close to three hours including one of the Met's usual half-hour intervals.

As for the Blanchard, I agree in principle that new works and by composers of diversity are sorely needed. But to my mind the opera was overlong, dramatically incoherent, and musically undistinguished. I'll refrain from speculating on the politics, but as for Mr. Blanchard, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane he is not.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

relm1

Excuse the very short notice but Matthew Aucoin's opera, Eurydice, will be broadcast on the radio/webstream today (Dec 4) at noon.

https://www.yourclassical.org/story/2021/12/01/metropolitan-opera

relm1

Don't know if anyone managed to catch the broadcast, but the opera was fantastic!  I greatly enjoyed it.  A bit of John Adams with more dramatic flair.  Lots of virtuosic writing, exciting climaxes, energy and lyricism.  I think the composer is only 30 years old but I'm already looking forward to his next grand work.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: relm1 on December 05, 2021, 05:48:28 AM
Don't know if anyone managed to catch the broadcast, but the opera was fantastic!  I greatly enjoyed it.  A bit of John Adams with more dramatic flair.  Lots of virtuosic writing, exciting climaxes, energy and lyricism.  I think the composer is only 30 years old but I'm already looking forward to his next grand work.

I went to see it in HD today and was very impressed. While at times I felt the writing was formulaic, it held my attention throughout and sometimes showed a real lyrical gift. He orchestrates very well, too, and most important, he paces the work with an impressive sense of dramatic momentum. Fine libretto too, from Sarah Ruhl's marvelous play, and excellent performances from all.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Daverz

I don't think anyone has mentioned this BMOP CD:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Dec/Aucoin-orphic-BMOPSOUND1084.htm

I haven't listened to it all, but John Adams does come to mind (in a good way), and the music seems well worth revisiting.  Like many young composers, he seems to want to wake up the people sleeping in the back row, so there are some very loud climaxes.

bhodges

Quote from: Daverz on December 09, 2021, 04:47:17 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this BMOP CD:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Dec/Aucoin-orphic-BMOPSOUND1084.htm

I haven't listened to it all, but John Adams does come to mind (in a good way), and the music seems well worth revisiting.  Like many young composers, he seems to want to wake up the people sleeping in the back row, so there are some very loud climaxes.

Thanks much. (Back row climaxes noted. ;D)  I will likely investigate more Aucoin after Saturday night. Reports of the opera continue to be mostly positive.

--Bruce

relm1

Quote from: Brewski on December 09, 2021, 05:26:28 PM
Thanks much. (Back row climaxes noted. ;D)  I will likely investigate more Aucoin after Saturday night. Reports of the opera continue to be mostly positive.

--Bruce

I thought it was excellent.

relm1

Quote from: Brewski on December 09, 2021, 05:26:28 PM

--Bruce

Hi Bruce, so what did you think of the opera?  I was hoping to be able to hear it again but not available online after the live stream (or at least I can't find it).