The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Matthew Aucoin (b. 1990)

(1/3) > >>

Brewski:
In December I will see Eurydice at the Met, by the composer Matthew Aucoin. Much looking forward (reviews have been mostly positive), since I don't know his work at all.

From his website:
"An American composer, conductor, writer, pianist, and a 2018 MacArthur Fellow. He is Artist in Residence at Los Angeles Opera, and has worked as a composer and conductor with the Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, the American Repertory Theater, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and Music Academy of the West. He is co-Artistic Director of the American Modern Opera Company."

https://matthewaucoin.com/

--Bruce

T. D.:
Thanks for posting.
I've seen the name, but know nothing of his music. Refreshing to see such a youngster; most of the "contemporary" composers I follow are boomers or older.
Tough to guess what to expect..."musical politics" must be heavily involved in commissions at the Met Opera level. Hope for the best!

Brewski:
Yes, you're likely quite correct about the politics of the institution and how that affects commissions. I'm hoping that as Yannick Nézet-Séguin continues to make his mark, there will be more younger composers involved. (Not to mention, older composers -- including dead ones from the mid-20th century -- who have been inexplicably passed over.)

I missed the Terence Blanchard Fire Shut Up in My Bones, but hope to catch it later, since it was included on one of the HD broadcasts. Reviews were mixed, but never mind -- this is the kind of thing the Met should be doing all the time.

--Bruce

(poco) Sforzando:

--- Quote from: Brewski on December 01, 2021, 07:10:37 PM ---Yes, you're likely quite correct about the politics of the institution and how that affects commissions. I'm hoping that as Yannick Nézet-Séguin continues to make his mark, there will be more younger composers involved. (Not to mention, older composers -- including dead ones from the mid-20th century -- who have been inexplicably passed over.)

I missed the Terence Blanchard Fire Shut Up in My Bones, but hope to catch it later, since it was included on one of the HD broadcasts. Reviews were mixed, but never mind -- this is the kind of thing the Met should be doing all the time.

--Bruce

--- End quote ---

I will see it in the movies next Wednesday; it is much cheaper and more convenient than venturing to the house live. But the original Sarah Ruhl is a tidy, 90-minute play without intermission that works charmingly from beginning to end. I'm a little leery of a 3-acter lasting close to three hours including one of the Met's usual half-hour intervals.

As for the Blanchard, I agree in principle that new works and by composers of diversity are sorely needed. But to my mind the opera was overlong, dramatically incoherent, and musically undistinguished. I'll refrain from speculating on the politics, but as for Mr. Blanchard, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane he is not.

relm1:
Excuse the very short notice but Matthew Aucoin's opera, Eurydice, will be broadcast on the radio/webstream today (Dec 4) at noon.

https://www.yourclassical.org/story/2021/12/01/metropolitan-opera

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version