2022 Explorations

Started by Florestan, January 07, 2022, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Is there any particular composer / era / genre / whatever which you'd like to explore more in-depth this year?

For me it's the 20th Century, especially Russian (including Stravinksy --- go figure, Rafael and Karl...), French, English, Italian and Scandinavian music. Also Martinu, Enescu and Bartok.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on January 07, 2022, 12:06:15 PM
Is there any particular composer / era / genre / whatever which you'd like to explore more in-depth this year?

For me it's the 20th Century, especially Russian (including Stravinksy --- go figure, Rafael and Karl...), French, English, Italian and Scandinavian music. Also Martinu, Enescu and Bartok.

An extremely fine list, Andrei. Surprised you haven't explored much Stravinsky, Bartók or Enescu (especially as he's Romania's most internationally renowned composer).

As for my own explorations, César Franck and Saint-Saëns are certainly ones I'm most interested in at the moment, so probably just these two for right now.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2022, 12:47:49 PM
An extremely fine list, Andrei. Surprised you haven't explored much Stravinsky, Bartók or Enescu (especially as he's Romania's most internationally renowned composer).

I'm familiar with some of Enescu's works but truth be told I've never been a musical patriot.  :D

QuoteAs for my own explorations, César Franck and Saint-Saëns are certainly ones I'm most interested in at the moment, so probably just these two for right now.

Saint-Saens needs no recommendation but for Franck I'd say the piano trios and the works for piano and orchestra are real gems.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

I'll be buying as much Lanner as I can get my hands on....  ;)

No, seriously, I don't plan ahead for this kind of thing. If something "clicks", I might start an exploration, but I'm not at that point right now...

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 07, 2022, 12:53:03 PM

No, seriously, I don't plan ahead for this kind of thing. If something "clicks", I might start an exploration, but I'm not at that point right now...

Just "go with the flow", I like your style. I'm pretty much the same way. I just threw two names into a hat, but who knows what could happen?

Quote from: Florestan on January 07, 2022, 12:51:03 PM
I'm familiar with some of Enescu's works but truth be told I've never been a musical patriot.  :D

Saint-Saens needs no recommendation but for Franck I'd say the piano trios and the works for piano and orchestra are real gems.

I've actually liked a good bit of what I've heard from him so far, but I will keep your suggestions in mind. I'm familiar with a good bit of Saint-Saens' music, but there's always more to hear since he has a good sized oeuvre.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 07, 2022, 12:53:03 PM

No need to, I'll gladly let you have all the Lanner in my library.  ;)

QuoteNo, seriously, I don't plan ahead for this kind of thing. If something "clicks", I might start an exploration, but I'm not at that point right now...

I planned today but there's absolutely no guarantee that I'll stick to the plan. It's all on the theoretical level. :laugh:

foxandpeng

Yeah, my list will no doubt shift significantly, but I do want to get to grips with...

Weinberg
Myaskovsky
Langgaard
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 07, 2022, 02:07:56 PM
Yeah, my list will no doubt shift significantly, but I do want to get to grips with...

Weinberg
Myaskovsky
Langgaard
Three great choices Danny!
Weinberg's 5th Symphony is my favourite of his works, especially in Kondrashin's recording.

I hope to listen to more Enescu this year.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2022, 02:13:12 PM
Three great choices Danny!
Weinberg's 5th Symphony is my favourite of his works, especially in Kondrashin's recording.

I hope to listen to more Enescu this year.

Thank you for the recommendation 😁. I'll be looking to your previous posts in the Myaskovsky thread too, no doubt.

I don't know any Enescu, so I should probably add him to the list!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 07, 2022, 04:20:39 PM
Thank you for the recommendation 😁. I'll be looking to your previous posts in the Myaskovsky thread too, no doubt.

I don't know any Enescu, so I should probably add him to the list!

As for NYM, my recommendations are symphonies 3,4,6 (prob. my favourite),15, 16 (great slow movement) 17 (one of the best) 21 (concise, poetic, eloquent) 24, 27 (a movingly valedictory work). 23 on Caucasian themes, is one of the most immediately enjoyable. Many people like No. 5 and No.8 includes another fine slow movement. Also, the Cello Concerto, Cello Sonata No.2 and SQ 13 are other favourites.

PS I like your Tolstoy quote.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2022, 01:16:04 AM
As for NYM, my recommendations are symphonies 3,4,6 (prob. my favourite),15, 16 (great slow movement) 17 (one of the best) 21 (concise, poetic, eloquent) 24, 27 (a movingly valedictory work). 23 on Caucasian themes, is one of the most immediately enjoyable. Many people like No. 5 and No.8 includes another fine slow movement. Also, the Cello Concerto, Cello Sonata No.2 and SQ 13 are other favourites.

PS I like your Tolstoy quote.

Ah  that is amazing, thank you. Really appreciate your knowledgeable and thoughtful pointers. I will use these as my entry point. Good to know where to start!

I like the Tolstoy quote very much. It flags up a simplicity and hints at an inner peace that I hope to continue to cultivate.

Tolstoy

The new erato

No 23 was my intrpduction to Myaskovsky and I immediately fell in love with it.

Maestro267

I don't really go into a year with an active plan for music. It depends what money is like each time whether I have it to buy stuff.

That said my first purchase should be here on Monday, the complete symphonies of one Egon Wellesz.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 07, 2022, 02:07:56 PM

Weinberg
Myaskovsky
Langgaard

Three solid composers. My only caveat with Langgaard is that some of his music could be too "traditional" or "anachronistic" for you (I guess), but there is no doubt that he wrote some impressive pieces. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy these composers' music.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Artem

One of the best listening experiences that I had last year was discovering and spending more time with the music of Maurice Ravel. I haven't decided on anything specific for this this year, but maybe a composer close to Ravel or his time period, besides Debussy, could be interesting.

I would like to get more Luigi Nono, but his disks aren't cheap.

Symphonic Addict

Personally speaking, I'll be more free, more fluent and dynamic, interchanging composers and works, but now I intend to be more focused on revisiting, reenjoying familiar and great really stuff. Revisiting composers of my deepest affections (Brahms, Nielsen, Sibelius, Shostakovich, Dvorak, Prokofiev, Respighi, Vaughan Williams, Langgaard, Tubin, Holmboe, etc), and putting my toes on some toughest nuts to crack, comprising some important figures (Schönberg, Berg, Carter, Scelsi, Nono, Serialist Stravinsky, Pettersson, et al), or repertoire by composers I like with some heartfeltness, but not completely (Delius, Scriabin, Debussy, Verdi, etc).

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 08, 2022, 01:50:08 PM
Three solid composers. My only caveat with Langgaard is that some of his music could be too "traditional" or "anachronistic" for you (I guess), but there is no doubt that he wrote some impressive pieces. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy these composers' music.

Ah, I appreciate the heads up. I will have a prod and see!

Thank you 😊

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on January 08, 2022, 02:06:15 PM
One of the best listening experiences that I had last year was discovering and spending more time with the music of Maurice Ravel. I haven't decided on anything specific for this this year, but maybe a composer close to Ravel or his time period, besides Debussy, could be interesting.

Have you spent any time with Roussel? How about Poulenc, Milhaud or Honegger? Les Six are calling. ;)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2022, 03:42:47 PM
Have you spent any time with Roussel? How about Poulenc, Milhaud or Honegger? Les Six are calling. ;)

+1 Try those composers, and why not Florent Schmitt, Gabriel Pierné, too [Artem]?.

Noam Chomsky

Artem

That's some food for though. Thanks for recommendations.