South American Folk Music

Started by aligreto, January 08, 2022, 04:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

I have a small penchant for listening to the folk music of South American countries with their individually rich musical cultures and heritages. After my native traditional Irish music the next music that affects me most both spiritually and rhythmically is South American folk music. It has both soul and the ability to affect one's inner being; it can elevate one's spirit and has done so frequently, in my case. Such is the power of music both to heal and to sooth. I am not an expert on South American folk music by any stretch of the imagination; I simply really like to listen to it.

aligreto

For me, a number of essential characteristic ingredients are required for the successful performance of this folk music which are, in no particular order of importance;

a) intrinsically visceral and a somewhat haunting nature to the music must be portrayed
b) the richness of texture and sonority [earthiness] of the native instruments employed, in particular the wind instruments, but the various string instruments are also very important here for timbre and sonic variety
c) the level of quality of the performance from each member of the ensemble
d) foot tapping primordial and compelling rhythms which make this music so vital and alive.

aligreto

The instrumentation employed in the presentation of this music basically consists of stringed instruments of varying different types, wind instruments of varying different types and percussion [which is basically the same format for Irish traditional music ensembles]. However, it is common for an electric bass guitar to replace the traditional percussion in an ensemble performing traditional South American music. I do not appreciate this tactic because the electric bass guitar tends to become a dominant force which overwhelms the other acoustic instruments and the overall balance of the ensemble can be lost. Percussion instruments would seem more suitable and appropriate in this music for me.

aligreto

I honestly cannot remember when I started to listen to this music or even from what source it came. I do remember that it occurred sometime in the early 1980s. I do remember that one of the very earliest sources of delight for me in this music was the ensemble Incantation. They lit a fire in me which has burned continually for the subsequent decades. The irony of this is that they were essentially a band with very non South American names such as Tony Hinnigan [Scottish], Mike Taylor [Irish] and Forbes Henderson [English] amongst others. There were South American members in the various iterations of the band.
Anyway, they performed this music with such verve and vitality that I immediately found it infectious and compelling.

Incidentally, Incantation provided the performance of the well known theme music for Ennio Morricone's "The Mission".

aligreto

Cacharpaya [Panpipes of the Andes]

I do not have all of Incantation's released albums but this is the earliest one that I own. It was released in 1982 and it basically sets out their stall in terms of mood and atmosphere in lyrical songs and dance music. The album contains mostly instrumental but also, occasionally, vocal  music. The album lays out their credentials and demonstrates their innate ability to present this atmospheric music and its rhythmic flow very well indeed.
Incantation are simply masters of this music in modern performances. Sit back and enjoy every exciting and enchanting moment of their music making. The intensity and drive in these performances is invigorating, sometimes dizzying and always compelling.

I also have this album on CD:

Here is the YouTube clip of the title track:

https://www.youtube.com/v/zSkYpzikcdM

aligreto

Incantation: Dance of the Flames

This album opens with a very earthy, almost primordial presentation. This atmosphere is replicated time and again throughout the album. The essence of both the lyrical and the rhythmic qualities of this music is very well illustrated throughout the performances on this album. One cannot over emphasise the quality of the music making and the atmospheric interpretation of this music here. It is simply terrific! One feels that one is present at a live performance given the intensity and the presence of these performances. All of the lyricism, excitement and the depth of this music is well captured here in wonderfully rounded performances. The performances from all concerned are truly wonderful and this album just keeps on giving in terms of the quality of both the music and its presentation. This is a particularly fine album and it is well performed. Quite a number of the performances are powerful and atmospheric and the album is definitely worth investigating.

I also have this album on CD:

There is some very fine haunting on this short YT clip:

https://www.youtube.com/v/hEOz85DN8cQ

aligreto

Incantation: Canaríos/Atahuallpa

This is a 45 RPM 12 inch record. It contains only 4 tracks:
Canarios
Atahuallpa
El Condor Pasa
Buscando

The album or EP was released in 1983.

The presentation of the album is particularly attractive. It is a gatefold sleeve with an eight page booklet stapled inside. This booklet contains wonderfully atmospheric black and white photographs of the native Andean people.

The first two tracks are taken from the Dance of the Flames album. We also have the ubiquitous El Condor Pasa and finally Buscando which is a wonderful tune. The playing is wonderful, as always.

Here is a Y/T clip of the band performing Canarios:

https://www.youtube.com/v/j5th7hxvaFs

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Yes, the first 2 videos sound very good. I must explore the Andean music.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 12, 2022, 01:29:31 PM
Yes, the first 2 videos sound very good. I must explore the Andean music.

Not for everyone, I think, but I really do enjoy it.

aligreto

Incantation: Virgins of the Sun

This album was released in 1984. It is an album that presents some wonderful and atmospheric field recordings apparently made in Bolivia and Peru by Nick Sykes on a portable Sony Digital Recorder. One track, Chupizintatay Yacuy, was recorded live by Incantation in the Temple Of The Sun, Machu Picchu. There is a great "feel" to this album. The penultimate track on the album is terrifically vibrant.

aligreto

Incantation: The Meeting

This album was released in 1987. It is a composite of both traditional tunes arranged by Incantation and more modern compositions up to and including a very fine interpretation of Moricone's theme from "The Mission '' which, incidentally, is both racy and exciting. Interestingly, I find the ensemble much more interesting and engaging when they are playing the traditional music. As always, the music and the music making is wonderfully atmospheric and engaging, particularly on the traditional tunes [especially rhythmically].

There is a noticeable increase in the vocal content on this album. Sonically, it is a very interesting listen and it offers something different to the receptive listener. It is interesting to hear the juxtaposition of the traditional and modern idioms [which are firmly rooted in the Andean musical traditions]. The one exception here is the inclusion of one traditional Irish tune [no doubt influenced by the Irish member of the ensemble]. It, however, readily lends itself to the adaptation of the Andean wind instruments quite readily. The album also includes a version of "Scarborough Fair'' which you will find interesting. The music and the music making is always exciting and lively.

Perhaps if people are more comfortable with vocal content as opposed to heavily instrumentally driven albums this may well be a good entry point to both this ensemble and to this music.

aligreto

Incantation: On Gentle Rocks

This album was released in 1992.
It is an album that comprises music that is traditional, composed by members of the band and one tune composed by James Horner. All tracks are arranged by Hinnigan and Taylor in the spirit and manner of traditional Andean music. The album is largely instrumental based. There is a Maori chant incorporated into one of the tunes. There is a poem by John Donne which is recited against a solemn and atmospheric musical backdrop. There is a traditional Irish song that is sung and there is also a version of Kumbaya; these are the only two songs sung by a solo singer on the album. There are quite a number of World Music influences which are also brought to bear and which are very well blended together here. There is some very fine and atmospheric music on the album along with some very fine music making. It is an album that probably sits more easily in the World Music category as opposed to Folk, however.

aligreto

Incantation:

This eponymous album was released in 1995.

At this stage ten of the twelve tracks on the album were written between Mike Taylor and Tony Hinnegan. The other two tracks are arrangements by Incantation of traditional tunes. Even at this stage the music sounds wonderfully authentic and engaging for the most part. It is very vibrant and exciting music making even if a number of the tunes are sounding more genetically mainstream. This album introduces an electric lead and bass guitar and electronic keyboards. This is a definite no for me in this music. Perhaps they were running out of musical arrangement ideas at this stage. The other tracks on the album would not indicate this, however. There is only one vocal track on the album and it is not a traditional song. However, they still present a great sounding presentation and overall atmosphere throughout most of the album.

aligreto

Incantation: Panpipes from the Andes

This is a compilation album which was issued in 2000. It comprises tracks from the albums On The Wings Of A Condor, Dance of the Flames, Virgins Of The Sun, The Meeting, On Gentle Rocks and Incantation. It is a good album from the point of view of giving a good impression of this music and how Incantation interpreted it and for those who would not necessarily be interested in the more rustic and traditional approach to playing this music. 

This is the final album in my current Incantation collection. From here, I started to spread my wings, just like a condor soaring over the Andes, and I began listening to other ensembles and musicians. I am very grateful to Incantation for introducing me to this incredible and soulful music.

aligreto

Los Incas: Amérique Latine

This is is a wonderfully varied album. It presents music from Peru, Venezuela, Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay; so a diverse geographical range is on offer. It consists of a mix of both vocal and instrumental music. The dance music offers great vibrancy along with great atmosphere [the whoops, whistles and shouts definitely help with that!]. The music is well played and simply presented; there is nothing overly complicated or pretentious about either the music or the performances. 

It was Los Incas who recorded El Condor Pasa with Simon & Garfunkel way back when. Apparently Simon had originally heard them playing it while busking on the streets of Paris. I definitely would have liked to have heard that conversation from a musician's point of view. How does one evaluate that point of enlightenment? Posterity is the true test here!

Here is a YT link to the same album with different cover art:

https://www.youtube.com/v/CXXXz8IXG3Q

aligreto

Urubamba:

The ensemble were, for some reason, renamed from Los Incas to Urubamba in the 1970's. This eponymous album was released in 1974.

The music on the album is very well played. Most of the tracks are straightforward instrumental tracks with the odd track being accompanied by a chant. There is plenty of atmosphere abounding throughout the album. There is one live track on the album but the rest of it has the energy and drive of live performances too. Paul Simon produced the album.

Here is the YT link to this album: = 

https://www.youtube.com/v/vlxqgt-z024

aligreto

Los Chacos: Découvrez L'Amérique Latine

The music played is from Peru, Argentina, Bolivia and Colombia.

This album was released by the ensemble Los Chacos in 1970. It comprises both instrumental tracks and tracks with a vocal element. Los Chacos were founded in 1953 and were, according to Discogs, the first non Latin American band playing Andean Music.

The instrumental playing is very good. Interestingly, the wind instruments used are exclusively various flutes with no pan pipes apparently used. This means that there is, for me anyway, a slightly unique and different feel and atmosphere to the album.

aligreto

Pan Pipes of the Andes II:

This is a compilation album and it was released in 1997. This compilation is performed by a number of different ensembles. The instrumental playing and the sound is very good throughout.

We are treated here to a wide variety of Andean music in this compilation from arrangements of traditional airs to very modern songs. The juxtaposition of the two is interesting. There is a good range of diversion of approach on this album.

aligreto

The Andes [The World of Music]:

This CD was released in 1999. This collection is one of those myriad of such albums that appeared when the genre became popular. It is a collection of both traditionally arranged tunes and modern ones. Despite the opening, ubiquitous El Condor Pasa [which is driven by an electric bass], Sol Inca [which has an electronic, techno back track], the music is atmospheric and is delivered very well. Apart from the cases mentioned above, traditional authentic instruments are not solely used. Sometimes this works for me and sometimes it does not. I suppose it was an attempt to bring this music to a more modern audience. Unfortunately the various performing artists are not credited on the CD.

aligreto

El Sonido De Los Andes Vol. 2

This CD was released in 2003. It is another compilation album featuring various artists which are credited here. Three of the eighteen tracks on the CD contain a vocal element. Only three of the eighteen tracks are traditional tunes. Most of the rest of the tunes are terrific and are played in the right spirit. One of the ensembles, El Almo de la Quena, does, however, use an electric bass guitar on five tracks. It is not particularly invasive but it is very noticeable. The ensemble Nacimiento also goes almost full electric/synth/techno mode for two tracks, both of which also contain vocals. All of this is, I suppose, an effort to mix the old with the new.

We have good, vibrant playing all round on the authentic instruments and we also have good recordings, particularly of the stringed instruments, I feel. The pipe playing on Mi Raza, in particular, is quite haunting. A lot of the rhythms throughout the album also really also hit the spot.

Here is the YT link to the complete album:

https://www.youtube.com/v/HfJtUkHRkPo&t=588s