Five important pre-1980 composers that you easily could live without

Started by Symphonic Addict, January 08, 2022, 04:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

They are not composers that you hate or try to dismiss or criticise. I mean the composers who, up to this moment, you can classify and live without the remorse of losing much music of your interests or close tastes if you forced to pick five significant

Takemitsu (or Nono)
Cristóbal Halffter
Schütz Cage
Purcell
M. Haydn (or Telemann Kagel)

Just intended for fun. Don't be shy, tell yours, please!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

vandermolen

Boulez
Stockhausen
Gottschalk
Richard Strauss (sorry!) with the exception of a few works
Webern.

Honourable mentions: Liszt, Chopin.

Anyone featured in 'New Year's Day Concert from Vienna'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Well, here goes:

Shostakovich
Chopin
Vaughan Williams
Sibelius
Dvořák

And a long list of honourable mentions: Mendelssohn, Smetana, SauguetMyaskovsky, Delius, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, etc., etc.)...

I had thought of including Havergal Brian, but one cannot really call him "important", so he doesn't qualify....  >:D

The new erato

Quote from: LKB on January 08, 2022, 06:46:22 PM
Stockhausen
Boulez
Glass
Berg
Nielsen
Which Glass? Louis Glass?

Which Berg? Natanael or Gunnar?

Alle well represented in CD.

:)

ritter managed to mention at least 4 firm favorites. I'm happy there's such a wide world out there. That's part of the fascination. Most composers of any note have written even a tiny something i like or appreciate.

ritter

Quote from: The new erato on January 09, 2022, 01:05:00 AM

... I'm happy there's such a wide world out there. That's part of the fascination. Most composers of any note have written even a tiny something i like or appreciate.
Exactly.

And as to the bolded text, absolutely true. For instance, my intense aversion to the music if Shostakovich doesn't preclude an admiration for the 24 Preludes  and Fugues, op. 87.

Regards,

Florestan

Bruckner
Wagner
Schoenberg
Berg
Webern

It's not that I could easily live without --- I do live without.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

premont

Where to begin. I think most of us - depending upon our individual taste - could mention hundreds of composers who would fit your description.

For me it would be:
Almost all romantic composers, eg. Liszt, Bruckner
All late-romantic composers, eg. Mahler, R. Strauss
Most opera-composers, eg. Wagner, Puccini
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

Easiest picks among famous and popular composers for me (although I do have recordings of most of them and occasionally listen to them, not sure if I have any Massenet, except as encore or so) would probably be Italian and French composers of the 19th century. I saw "L'elisir d'amore" on stage and it is a very good comic opera but I don't think I listened more than twice to my recording of it and once was around that visit to the opera.

Donizetti
Bellini
Gounod
Massenet
Lalo
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

LKB

Quote from: The new erato on January 09, 2022, 01:05:00 AM
Which Glass? Louis Glass?

Which Berg? Natanael or Gunnar?

Alle well represented in CD.

:)

ritter managed to mention at least 4 firm favorites. I'm happy there's such a wide world out there. That's part of the fascination. Most composers of any note have written even a tiny something i like or appreciate.

Philip Glass
Alban Berg
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

The new erato

Quote from: LKB on January 09, 2022, 02:54:40 AM
Philip Glass
Alban Berg
It really couldn't be otherwise. Some tongue-in-cheek on my part, sorry about that.

The new erato

Quote from: ritter on January 09, 2022, 01:37:09 AM
Exactly.

And as to the bolded text, absolutely true. For instance, my intense aversion to the music if Shostakovich doesn't preclude an admiration for the 24 Preludes  and Fugues, op. 87.

Regards,

Thank you. It's not even a tiny something I believe.  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on January 09, 2022, 02:32:52 AM
Easiest picks among famous and popular composers for me (although I do have recordings of most of them and occasionally listen to them, not sure if I have any Massenet, except as encore or so) would probably be Italian and French composers of the 19th century. I saw "L'elisir d'amore" on stage and it is a very good comic opera but I don't think I listened more than twice to my recording of it and once was around that visit to the opera.

Donizetti
Bellini
Gounod
Massenet
Lalo
I could live without these as well!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

In opera it would be easy for me to add more but these are often not that famous nowadays, except for (some) opera buffs.
French and German comic opera, such as Auber, Boieldieu, Lortzing, Flotow.  ~1900 Verismo by Leoncavallo, Mascagni, Cilea, d'Albert. I just can rarely be bothered with opera on records except for some favorites, although I used to admire and like at least some Wagner, Verdi, Puccini and of course Mozart and I have a lot (too much) opera on my shelves.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

foxandpeng

Piano guy*
Powdered wig guy*
Opera guy*
Choral guy*
Godowsky

*or girl, person, or other nonspecific or specific self-designation

That probably covers it.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Florestan

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 09, 2022, 04:03:59 AM
Piano guy*
Powdered wig guy*
Opera guy*
Choral guy*
Godowsky

*or girl, person, or other nonspecific or specific self-designation

That probably covers it.

I infer from the above that you are not averse to Lieder guys, such as Hugo Wolf or Carl Loewe.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

With the exception of Beethoven, I could live without any five composers.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

foxandpeng

Quote from: Florestan on January 09, 2022, 04:21:31 AM
I infer from the above that you are not averse to Lieder guys, such as Hugo Wolf or Carl Loewe.  :laugh:

You are a star, thank you. Corrected to incorporate your timely reminder.

Piano guy*
Powdered wig guy*
Opera guy*
Choral guy*
Lieder guy*
General song-cycle guy*

Godowsky. Always Godowsky.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2022, 12:41:31 AM
Boulez
Stockhausen
Gottschalk
Webern.

Augh!  Oh, noooo!  :'(

Will have to do some thinking here of my list.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2022, 12:41:31 AM
Boulez
Stockhausen
Gottschalk
Webern.

I could not consider Gottschalk an important composer, FWIW I can certainly live without him, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot