Five important pre-1980 composers that you easily could live without

Started by Symphonic Addict, January 08, 2022, 04:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 13, 2022, 08:03:56 AM
I've watched a bit of Rossini opera on DVD. Wonderfully entertaining if done well.

Think of it this way: in the operatic world of the early 1800s Rossini was a radical firebrand.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on January 09, 2022, 08:13:22 PM
Prompted by the ongoing discussion, I had a maiden listen to this:

Atmospheric, haunting, magical music in colorful, lush orchestration --- what's not to like, I wonder? In fact, I think I might have just made a major discovery.
Volume 2 is even better!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on January 11, 2022, 02:24:58 AM
I am practically living without tons of "important" composers meaning I don't have anything from them in my collection of very little (reason being I have never heard anything I like from these composers, so I have zero interest of exploring their music further):

Rossini (his music seems to be the antithesis of my taste  ??? )
Verdi (almost as bad as Rossini)
Paganini (extreme virtuosity alone doesn't make interesting music)
D. Scarlatti (not getting the "hype", but his father's music is very much my cup of tea!)
Messiaen (what is this cacophony?  :o )

There are many more, but that's five asked.
I very much agree with these choices. I've enjoyed looking back through this thread which is quite fun as long as you don't take it too seriously and become apoplectic with rage. Anyway, a warm handshake to my fellow Baxians here  8)

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

j winter

If it's not too late to play...

For me, I think it's only fair to include composers of which a) I've heard more than a handful of works, so as to say I've heard a decent sampling, and b) I at least partially understand and can follow the music.  The first stipulation rules out a great many minor (and a few not-so-minor) composers, and those who primarily specialize in genres that I don't much listen to (mostly non-choral vocal works like lieder and much opera); the second rules out much  atonal or serial music -- I have tried, but I don't know that my music-theoryless listening chops are quite up to the challenge and life is short, so rather than pour water on something I simply don't understand, I'll set it aside.

All of that said, five greats who have not yet floated my boat:

• Berlioz -- I occasionally enjoy the Symphonie Fantastique, but frankly nothing else has clicked with me.
  • Liszt -- Romantic tone poems are just not my thing, see Berlioz above.  I keep trying to nibble at his piano output.
  • Bernstein -- As a conductor and enthusiastic teacher of music, yes.  As a composer, I struggle.
  • Mussorgsky -- Unless you count Stokowski juicing up Night on Bald Mountain.
  • Bax -- Not sure he really counts as a major composer amongst the world at large, but that's likely another thread.  I acquired his symphonies and a few other things on Naxos years ago when I was still in my "building a library" phase, and keep occasionally coming back to them, without much success.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

vandermolen

Todd

Quote from: j winter on September 29, 2022, 11:52:52 AM

• Liszt -- Romantic tone poems are just not my thing, see Berlioz above.  I keep trying to nibble at his piano output.

I beseech you, keep nibbling.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

j winter

Quote from: Todd on September 29, 2022, 12:49:17 PM
I beseech you, keep nibbling.

Without going too far off topic, any specific recommendations?  Top 2 or 3 discs to check out?

Todd

Quote from: j winter on September 29, 2022, 12:51:14 PM
Without going too far off topic, any specific recommendations?  Top 2 or 3 discs to check out?

Sure.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: j winter on September 29, 2022, 11:52:52 AM
If it's not too late to play...

For me, I think it's only fair to include composers of which a) I've heard more than a handful of works, so as to say I've heard a decent sampling, and b) I at least partially understand and can follow the music.  The first stipulation rules out a great many minor (and a few not-so-minor) composers, and those who primarily specialize in genres that I don't much listen to (mostly non-choral vocal works like lieder and much opera); the second rules out much  atonal or serial music -- I have tried, but I don't know that my music-theoryless listening chops are quite up to the challenge and life is short, so rather than pour water on something I simply don't understand, I'll set it aside.

All of that said, five greats who have not yet floated my boat:

• Berlioz -- I occasionally enjoy the Symphonie Fantastique, but frankly nothing else has clicked with me.
  • Bernstein -- As a conductor and enthusiastic teacher of music, yes.  As a composer, I struggle.
  • Mussorgsky -- Unless you count Stokowski juicing up Night on Bald Mountain.
  • Bax -- Not sure he really counts as a major composer amongst the world at large, but that's likely another thread.  I acquired his symphonies and a few other things on Naxos years ago when I was still in my "building a library" phase, and keep occasionally coming back to them, without much success.

With Liszt I think the trick is to let yourself go, kick back, relax and enjoy. It's sensual music. Of course that means you have to really like the sound of the piano - so it means that you have to try a few different pianos/pianists to find the sound which appeals.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

My six penny-worth;

I dislike this kind of negative thread - all it does is rile people whose favourite composers appear in someone else's lists.  I completely get that we will all have our personal preferences and blind spots but as it says in the song; "accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative......"   (I'm sure other folk will disagree!)

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

j winter

j winter

Quote from: Mandryka on September 29, 2022, 01:48:52 PM
With Liszt I think the trick is to let yourself go, kick back, relax and enjoy. It's sensual music. Of course that means you have to really like the sound of the piano - so it means that you have to try a few different pianos/pianists to find the sound which appeals.

Thanks for this... I will rummage around my shelves and give a few things a spin... even though I haven't really focused on acquiring recordings, I've managed to collect a few as parts of various boxes, etc...

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 29, 2022, 02:02:22 PM
I dislike this kind of negative thread - all it does is rile people whose favourite composers appear in someone else's lists

Only if the thread is taken seriously, which the OP clearly stated should not be the case.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

The "negative" threads can always lead to getting a different angle and maybe some recommendations that might lead to a change in appreciation.

For Berlioz I'd recommend to try (again?) The damnation of Faust (my favorite work of his) and Romeo & Juliette. Or at least the instrumental excerpts of the latter. I have my doubts about the full work that is a strange hybrid but the 4 or so movements that used to be fairly popular as some kind of suite are stunning, the Love Scene and the "Mab scherzo" being two of Berlioz' best pieces.
(I haven't really got into the operas and sacred music myself, got bored to quickly...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Well, I was going to point out that there is no obligation to start living with music that you've been just fine living without. There is plenty of other music to live with.

But then, my list of composers has Philip Glass on it. And Vikingur Ólafsson has gone and caused a Philip Glass album to be on my shopping list. So Glass is going to be in my library. Maybe one day there'll even be some Stockhausen in there, though I would still be incredibly surprised by that.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!