Five important pre-1980 composers that you easily could live without

Started by Symphonic Addict, January 08, 2022, 04:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

It seems like a trend that people who are much into early music don't see themselves enjoying late/post-Romantic stuff and vice versa.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 28, 2022, 10:38:50 AM
It seems like a trend that people who are much into early music don't see themselves enjoying late/post-Romantic stuff and vice versa.

The vast majority of my listening is 20th-21st century music, but if I ever turn to anything else, it tends to be early music...  Gregorian chant, plainsong.... my gap is the powdered wigs and fin de siècle brigade
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 28, 2022, 01:39:55 PM
The vast majority of my listening is 20th-21st century music, but if I ever turn to anything else, it tends to be early music...  Gregorian chant, plainsong.... my gap is the powdered wigs and fin de siècle brigade

There's so much great music to be enjoyed from the latter, but I understand some people might be less enthusiastic about it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

SimonNZ

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 28, 2022, 10:38:50 AM

I've been listening to mostly earlyish classical in recent times, but I also love later 20th century - Messiaen and on - and, especially, Contemporary.