Five important pre-1980 composers that you easily could live without

Started by Symphonic Addict, January 08, 2022, 04:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 15, 2022, 06:16:11 PM
I like your sincerity! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully other members don't feel offended or pissed off by these lists of we all. I really find them fun!

Well, you asked.   ;)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Madiel on January 13, 2022, 02:50:32 PM
Who goes to Chopin for the waltzes anyway?

I don't even go to Johann Strauss for the waltzes.

Actually, he's one of the few important composers I could live without.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: San Antone on January 15, 2022, 06:08:03 PM
I could easily live without Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Bruckner, Bedřich Smetana, Richard Strauss, Camille Saint-Saëns, Modest Mussorgsky, Edvard Grieg, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Leoš Janáček, Edward Elgar, Frederick Delius, Alexander Glazunov, Carl Nielsen, Jean Sibelius, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Max Reger, Gustav Holst, Ottorino Respighi - and more.

What music do you like?

kyjo

Quote from: San Antone on January 15, 2022, 06:08:03 PM
I could easily live without Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Bruckner, Bedřich Smetana, Richard Strauss, Camille Saint-Saëns, Modest Mussorgsky, Edvard Grieg, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Leoš Janáček, Edward Elgar, Frederick Delius, Alexander Glazunov, Carl Nielsen, Jean Sibelius, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Max Reger, Gustav Holst, Ottorino Respighi - and more.

Hah! I adore most of those composers expect for Delius and Reger. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

LKB

I suspect there are actually quite a few composers that San Antone enjoys. For instance, he hasn't named anyone from the Medieval or Renaissance periods, which offer a fair number of notable composers.

Let me add that while I've been startled by a few of the posts, I'm more intrigued, and thank Symphonic Addict for initiating this thread.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

San Antone

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 16, 2022, 06:02:47 AM
What music do you like?

Early music from 1000-Bach, music from late 19th century, Mahler, Brahms, Verdi, Wagner, Liszt, Debussy, Faure, Duruflé, and others in similar style, much of the early 20th century - present.

Brian

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 16, 2022, 06:01:28 AM
I don't even go to Johann Strauss for the waltzes.

Actually, he's one of the few important composers I could live without.
Don't tell me you're a quadrille enthusiast!

(poco) Sforzando

Jo498

Joh. Strauss' greatest work is "Die Fledermaus", a very good comical opera (admittedly, many of its pieces are still in 3/4 time ;))
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

What's good about this thread is that it's about important composers. Being named here tells more about us as listeners than about them as composers  ;)

Madiel

Quote from: San Antone on January 16, 2022, 07:18:08 AM
Early music from 1000-Bach, music from late 19th century, Mahler, Brahms, Verdi, Wagner, Liszt, Debussy, Faure, Duruflé, and others in similar style, much of the early 20th century - present.

Music just took a wrong turn for a couple of centuries with the "classics".  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: André on January 16, 2022, 11:12:38 AM
What's good about this thread is that it's about important composers. Being named here tells more about us as listeners than about them as composers  ;)

Yep. There are certainly composers who I never realised were important before they got mentioned here. In fact I think in a couple of cases I'd never really heard much about these important composers before.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

foxandpeng

Quote from: Madiel on January 16, 2022, 01:15:41 PM
Yep. There are certainly composers who I never realised were important before they got mentioned here. In fact I think in a couple of cases I'd never really heard much about these important composers before.

My journey into classical music has been a bit unusual, I think. Discovering composers without anyone to really guide me in my early years of listening meant that I didn't always catch on to the 'important' composers. I definitely still have big gaps in what lots of others would view as the key canon. I've learned a great deal from my reading here over time, and I hope to learn lots more.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 16, 2022, 06:32:25 AM
Hah! I adore most of those composers expect for Delius and Reger. :)

Both Reger and Delius are worth your time, and yes, don't touch my Janacek, or my Elgar!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on January 16, 2022, 11:12:38 AM

A good conclusion, André!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 09, 2022, 04:03:59 AM
Piano guy*
Powdered wig guy*
Opera guy*
Choral guy*
Godowsky

*or girl, person, or other nonspecific or specific self-designation

That probably covers it.

So, haven't you listened yet to anything by those "guys"? Or would you save some from the first four choices.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 16, 2022, 04:36:33 PM
Both Reger and Delius are worth your time, and yes, don't touch my Janacek, or my Elgar!

I do cherish some works by Reger (above all the Böcklin-Suite) and more so by Delius (Florida Suite, Brigg Fair, Piano Concerto, Double Concerto). I just have to be in the right mood to be able to really enjoy certain works by these composers.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: LKB on January 16, 2022, 07:10:54 AM
I suspect there are actually quite a few composers that San Antone enjoys. For instance, he hasn't named anyone from the Medieval or Renaissance periods, which offer a fair number of notable composers.

Let me add that while I've been startled by a few of the posts, I'm more intrigued, and thank Symphonic Addict for initiating this thread.  ;)

My pleasure, and also amusing because of how each of us interpret the epithet "important" or is "affected" by others' opinions.  ::) ;D

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 16, 2022, 04:52:09 PM
So, haven't you listened yet to anything by those "guys"? Or would you save some from the first four choices.

It has been a while. When I first started listening to classical music I bought the Naxos releases of the later Mozart symphonies, then replaced them with a complete box set from one of the online monthly music clubs in the early 90's. I rarely listen, but I probably wouldn't cast them to the abyss - it is Mozart, after all. Bach? Like many, I enjoyed the Brandenburgs but stopped there, because back in the mists of time, I overdosed somewhat on Locatelli, Telemann, Handel, Boccherini, and lots of music from the Baroque and not far beyond. I also overdosed on Haydn symphonies. So many Haydn symphonies. It all became a bit wallpaper-y and too 'easy' to listen to. As my music tastes have developed, I simply haven't returned to these.

Choral music and opera usually don't do a huge amount for me, but again, there are exceptions.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

LKB

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 17, 2022, 04:27:44 AM
It has been a while. When I first started listening to classical music I bought the Naxos releases of the later Mozart symphonies, then replaced them with a complete box set from one of the online monthly music clubs in the early 90's. I rarely listen, but I probably wouldn't cast them to the abyss - it is Mozart, after all. Bach? Like many, I enjoyed the Brandenburgs but stopped there, because back in the mists of time, I overdosed somewhat on Locatelli, Telemann, Handel, Boccherini, and lots of music from the Baroque and not far beyond. I also overdosed on Haydn symphonies. So many Haydn symphonies. It all became a bit wallpaper-y and too 'easy' to listen to. As my music tastes have developed, I simply haven't returned to these.

Choral music and opera usually don't do a huge amount for me, but again, there are exceptions.

I would suggest to you the JS Bach cello suites. If those turn out to have a positive effect, then perhaps the partitas and sonatas for solo violin will as well.

You ( and, perhaps, others ) might also consider Josquin Des Prez. Back in the early '90's the King's Singers released a Josquin CD on RCA, comprised of both secular and sacred pieces. As they're performed by only six voices, it isn't really a choral recording per se, and it's been a favorite of mine for nearly 30 years.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...