Downsizing to the Essentials

Started by Florestan, January 10, 2022, 06:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

At some point, I need to seriously consider downsizing. When I was teaching, I bought many CDs I thought I should have for educational purchases that were seldom listened to. Some of these weren't even opened. I've also purchased in the past some large lots, including a case of Arabesque CDs that now list at pretty high prices.

I maintain a couple of tables at antique/collectible shops where good classic/rock and popular CDs sell very well at $3.00+ each. I'd love to get that much for my classical culls, but the demand isn't there. I don't have the same attachment to CDs as I do to my vinyl recordings which take up way more space and for which there is even less demand. They would be the last to go.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 21, 2022, 06:19:35 AM
At some point, I need to seriously consider downsizing. When I was teaching, I bought many CDs I thought I should have for educational purchases that were seldom listened to. Some of these weren't even opened. I've also purchased in the past some large lots, including a case of Arabesque CDs that now list at pretty high prices.

I maintain a couple of tables at antique/collectible shops where good classic/rock and popular CDs sell very well at $3.00+ each. I'd love to get that much for my classical culls, but the demand isn't there. I don't have the same attachment to CDs as I do to my vinyl recordings which take up way more space and for which there is even less demand. They would be the last to go.

Have you tried listing on eBay before Tony?  You could do a bit of research to see what kind of prices specific CDs are listed for and give it a go?  You would need though to deal with the hassle and expense of shipping though.  I believe that ebay now collects sales taxes on your behalf, but you should look into that yourself.  You might also consider doing lots?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 21, 2022, 06:40:32 AM
Have you tried listing on eBay before Tony?  You could do a bit of research to see what kind of prices specific CDs are listed for and give it a go?  You would need though to deal with the hassle and expense of shipping though.  I believe that ebay now collects sales taxes on your behalf, but you should look into that yourself.  You might also consider doing lots?

PD

I really don't want the hassle of listing, photographing, packing, shipping, etc. that Ebay requires. My nephew is an Ebay dealer who knows what he's doing, and after picking his brains, I decided it wouldn't be worth it. I agree that lots would be the best way to go.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige