A Complete Perotin Playlist.

Started by Mandryka, January 10, 2022, 09:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I'd originally started this on the Talk Classical site, but that forum is so busy the thread gets lost, and the search function is even worse than here. So I'm going to transfer it and use GMG, if that's OK with everyone.

The complete Pérotin is much larger than the handful of works identified by Anonymous 4. The English Wikipedia (but strangely not the French) has a list of works attributed to him by contemporary scholars. I won't cut and paste it here, because it will make the post too long - I'll put it in the next post, just for the sake of thread completeness.

This playlist is not easy to construct. For example, there are many versions of some of the Alléluias - and I'm not sure which ones are attributed to Pérotin. And not all of the music seems to have been recorded at all (e.g. the motet Homo cum mandato)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

The works of Pérotin, according to Wikipedia.org, are as follows

Key: Anonymous IV (A), Johannes de Garlandia (G), Tischler (Ti), Thurston (Th), Husmann (H).[60][41][1] Numbers refer to folios in the F manuscript of the Magnus liber.

Four-part organa

Viderunt omnes, continued with organal motet Homo cum mandato[37] (A)(Ti)(Th)(H) F1
Sederunt principes, with organal motet De Stephani roseo[37] (A)(Ti)(Th)(H)
Sederunt principes, continued with organal motet Adesse festina[37] (A)(Th)(H)

Three-part organa

Alleluia nativitas[12] (A)(Ti)(Th)(H) F31
Alleluia, Posui adiutorium (A)(G)(Ti)(H) F36
Alleluia, Dies sanctificatus (Ti)
Alleluia, Pascha nostrum (Ti)(H)
Alleluia, Dilexit Andream (H)
Stirps Yesse (Ti)
Virgo (Ti)(H)
Sancte Germane(H)
Terribilis(H)
Exiit sermo (H)

Conductus

French conductus motet Se i'ai ame: Ex semine (Th)
3 part Conductus Salvatoris hodie (A)(Ti)(Th)(H) F307
2 part Conductus Dum sigillum summi patris (A)(Ti)(Th)(H) F344
1 part Conductus Beata viscera Marie virginis[12] (A)(Ti)(Th)(H)
5 Benedicamus Domino (Ti) (3 (H))

3 part clausulas

In odorem (H)
Et illuminare (H)
Et gaudebit (H)
Et exaltavi (H)
2 part clausulas (numerous (H))

Doubtful

4 part Clausula Mors (H)[16]

Mandryka

This is the list in Grove

ATTRIBUTED WORKS
† compositions cited by Anonymus 4 as by Perotinus; all other works are attributed by Husmann on stylistic grounds

Editions:Polyphonies du XIIIe siècle: le manuscrit H 196 de la Faculté de médecine de Montpellier, ed. Y. Rokseth (Paris, 1935–9) [R]Die drei- und vierstimmigen Notre-Dame-Organa: Kritische Gesamtausgabe, ed. H. Husmann, Publikationen älterer Musik, xi (Leipzig, 1940/R) [complete except for conductus]Thirty-five Conductus for Two and Three Voices, ed. J. Knapp, Collegium musicum, vi (New Haven, CT, 1965) [K]The Works of Perotin, ed. E. Thurston (New York, 1970) [T]The Montpellier Codex, ed. H. Tischler, RRMMA, ii–viii (1978–85) [M]Notre-Dame and Related Conductus: Opera omnia, ed. G.A. Anderson (Henryville, PA, 1979–) [A]The Conductus Collections of MS Wolfenbüttel 1099, ed. E. Thurston, RRMMA, xi–xiii (1980) [C]The Earliest Motets (to circa 1270): a Complete Comparative Edition, ed. H. Tischler (New Haven, CT, 1982) [E]Les quadrupla et tripla de Paris, ed. E.H. Roesner, Le magnus liber organi de Notre-Dame de Paris, i (Monaco, 1993) [complete except for conductus]

four-voice organa
†Viderunt omnes V. Notum fecit dominus, T, E (gradual for Christmas and Circumcision; motet versions: Vide prophecie and Homo cum mandato dato; texts have medieval attrib. Philip the Chancellor)

†Sederunt principes V. Adiuva, T, E (gradual for St Stephen; motet versions: De Stephani roseo sanguine and Adesse festina; texts have medieval attrib. Philip the Chancellor)

three-voice organa
Sancte Germane V. O sancte Germane, R (resp for St Germanus and other confessor bishops; motet version: Associa tecum in patria; text has medieval attrib. Philip the Chancellor)

Terribilis V. Cumque (resp for Dedication of a Church)

Virgo V. Sponsus, R (resp for St Catherine)

Exiit sermo V. Sed siceum (gradual for St John the Evangelist)

Alleluia, Pascha nostrum (Easter)

†Alleluia, Nativitas, R, T, E (Nativity of BVM motet version of the clausula on Ex semine: Ex semine rosa prodit spina/Ex semine Abrahe divino; text attrib. Philip the Chancellor by modern scholars)

Alleluia, Dilexit Andream (St Andrew)

†Alleluia, Posui adiutorium, R, T (commune sanctorum for Confessor-Bishops)

Benedicamus Domino (i)

Benedicamus Domino (ii)

Benedicamus Domino (iii)

clausulas
Mors, 4vv, E (for Alleluia, Christus resurgens; motet version: Mors que stimulo/Mors morsu nata venenato/Mors a primi patris; text attrib. Philip the Chancellor by modern scholars)

In odorem, 3vv, E (for Alleluia, Dilexit Andream; motet version: Mens fidem seminat/In odorem; text attrib. Philip the Chancellor by modern scholars)

Et illuminare, 3vv, E (for gradual Omnes de Saba V. Surge; motet versions)

Et gaudebit, 3vv, E (for Alleluia, Non vos relinquam; motet version: Homo qui vigeas/Et gaudebit; text attrib. Philip the Chancellor by modern scholars)

Et exaltavi, 3vv, E (for Alleluia, Posui adiutorium; motet version: Et exaltavi plebis humilem/Et exaltavi; text attrib. Philip the Chancellor by modern scholars)

Numerous 2-voice clausulas (attrib. by Ludwig, 1910; Waite, 1961; Sanders, 1967)

conductus
†Salvatoris hodie, 2vv and 3vv, K, T, A, C

†Dum sigillum summi Patris, 2vv, K, T, A

†Beata viscera, 1v, T, A, C (text has medieval attrib. Philip the Chancellor)

Mandryka

Just starting at random here, Salvatoris Hodie (3 parts) is available in many recordings. As in Viderunt omnes, Vellard takes it particularly lyrically and expansively. The results are for me, really very attractive, whatever his historical or musicological justification, my ears say that it is poetic. Harmonies are also more scrunchy than other performances, and that's good! The Cd looks like an essential thing to explore to me

https://www.discogs.com/release/9993...-De-Notre-Dame

Philip Pickett also very interesting - half the length of Vellard but nonetheless rather agreeable to hear - on a CD called Feast of Fools. Diabolus in Musica give a typically muscular and masculine rendition - not for me but I know that they have their fans - a recording called Polyphonies de Notre Dame de Paris.

Mandryka

When Bjorn Schmelzer brought out his Machaut cd everyone said this was another Pérès. Things aren't so simple.

It turns out there's a bit of Pérotin on the Machaut recording - the conductis Beata Viscera, which Pérès has also recorded. And Pérès is a model of restraint and sobriety compared with Graindelavoix!

I like both, obvs. And I like Vellard and Hillier and many others in this conductus. All good. But I do have a problem with Pérès in general - what he does is too muscular for me - it sounds like a choir of alpha males!

PeterWillem

Though I deeply love Ensemble Organum's Perotin cd with all my soul & body, I admit I laughed loudly on this metaphor. Well, to break through that spatial sound you have to bring the power in :)
Who knows how many Perotin's pieces are located in Pluteo 29.1 and how many of them are lost forever with Magnus Liber Organi book...