Glenn Gould

Started by carl, April 15, 2007, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

(Hi to the new forum! )

I can't believe I am still up at this time of night (past 3 a.m. here in the UK), because some scheduler at the BBC decided to air "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould" on BBC4 at this god-forsaken time of night.

But it's worth it. This is a film docudrama that I've been wanting to see, as the DVD of it has been out of print for a while (with Amazon marketplace sellers offering it at £100+!). Still another hour to go...:)

I think I could do with some more GG in my life. I only have his Bach. How are his other composers? Am considering his LvB concertos... also his Brahms concerto 1 recording with Bernstein.

George

Quote from: carl on April 15, 2007, 06:09:05 PM
(Hi to the new forum! )

I can't believe I am still up at this time of night (past 3 a.m. here in the UK), because some scheduler at the BBC decided to air "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould" on BBC4 at this god-forsaken time of night.

But it's worth it. This is a film docudrama that I've been wanting to see, as the DVD of it has been out of print for a while (with Amazon marketplace sellers offering it at £100+!). Still another hour to go...:)

I think I could do with some more GG in my life. I only have his Bach. How are his other composers? Am considering his LvB concertos... also his Brahms concerto 1 recording with Bernstein.

Hey Carl!  :)

I only have his Bach too!

This topic might be better served the Great Recordings board.

The Mad Hatter

His Brahms is gorgeous (only got the 10 intermezzos and 4 ballades last week).

I've been on a bit of a Gould addict lately - funny, I spent part of last night watching several of the 32 short films on YouTube - was just looking for Gould videos generally.

(P.S. Check out this one.)

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: carl on April 15, 2007, 06:09:05 PM

... This is a film docudrama that I've been wanting to see, as the DVD of it has been out of print for a while (with Amazon marketplace sellers offering it at £100+!). Still another hour to go...:)

Try cbc.ca ,they have lots of GG .
  Also read Kevin Bazzana's book Wondrous Strange,find out what was myth and what was fact in Glenn's life.

Cato

I read recently that Sony will be releasing a Gould/player-piano version of the Goldberg Variations.  It seems a company has digitized everything through a Yamaha player-piano.  The article said the sound is obviously superior to the 50's monophonic version, and eerily brings Gould back to life because the sound is so good!  The author is somewhat skeptical, however, of the philosophy behind the process.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/arts/music/12conn.html?ex=1176955200&en=356987d0bdb6d392&ei=5070
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on April 17, 2007, 03:41:40 AM
I read recently that Sony will be releasing a Gould/player-piano version of the Goldberg Variations.  It seems a company has digitized everything through a Yamaha player-piano.  The article said the sound is obviously superior to the 50's monophonic version, and eerily brings Gould back to life because the sound is so good!  The author is somewhat skeptical, however, of the philosophy behind the process.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/arts/music/12conn.html?ex=1176955200&en=356987d0bdb6d392&ei=5070

Here is an interesting quote from another article on this topic:

QuoteAfter only one exposure, I am still a little reluctant to swear that this is a perfect "re-performance" -- although Gould's fingerprints, metaphorically speaking, were clearly all over it. But it shows that such ventures are increasingly possible -- on the piano, at least (for various technical reasons, it is impossible to imagine this working for violin, cello or the human voice). Moreover, there can be no doubt that Gould, whose fascination with new technology was unlimited, would have been thrilled by this development: The quirky and reclusive genius would have liked nothing better than to give "live" concerts without having to be there.

(My emphasis)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/09/AR2007030902255.html

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Cato on April 17, 2007, 03:41:40 AM

Hm...after my experience buying a Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff player piano CD, I don't think there's much danger of my buying another one.

Cato

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on April 18, 2007, 02:29:29 AM
Hm...after my experience buying a Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff player piano CD, I don't think there's much danger of my buying another one.

So...why not?  Can you be more specific?

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Cato on April 18, 2007, 11:28:48 AM
So...why not?  Can you be more specific?

Firstly, I found that the notes, without the full weight of a pianists arm (or even fingers) behind them sounded thin and, er, weightless. Secondly, several of them were recorded without sustain pedal, which again took from the tone.

I don't know, it might work with earlier stuff, particularly Bach, but I just thought it sounded inhuman.

Nothing against the performances of course, just don't like the instrument.

George

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on April 21, 2007, 12:34:20 PM
I don't know, it might work with earlier stuff, particularly Bach, but I just thought it sounded inhuman.

I agree. The first and last player piano CD I got sounded just as you describe.

However, underneath my glass of Spring Water, it sounds perfect!  ;D

E d o

Anyone have any info on the more recent Sony re-master from 2002. Is that a French import? Amazon doesn't list it but Tower does. The earlier edition is 2 discs where as the newer seems to be one, at least if one is to believe Tower. I'm wondering if the sound has improved and if anything is missing with the newer edition?

Cato

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on April 21, 2007, 12:34:20 PM
Firstly, I found that the notes, without the full weight of a pianists arm (or even fingers) behind them sounded thin and, er, weightless. Secondly, several of them were recorded without sustain pedal, which again took from the tone.

Nothing against the performances of course, just don't like the instrument.

Thanks for the information!  Maybe the company is addressing these problems.

Scott

Here is a link to an npr program about this process and these re-recordings:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10439850&ft=1&f=1041
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

Josquin des Prez

Enjoy his Bach greatly, but not a big fan of everything else he has done. He was a gifted performer, but his eccentric personality often got in the way of his artistry...

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Cato on April 25, 2007, 11:04:19 AM
Thanks for the information!  Maybe the company is addressing these problems.

I don't see how they could, to be honest. I mean, the only way to get a pure, strong tone is with arm weight, and you can't get this with a player piano.

That said, a player version of his recordings would cut out some of the singing.*

Josquin: I think his Bach is great, but also his Brahms, absolutely beautiful and peaceful.

*Actually I don't mind the singing that much...

George

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 30, 2007, 02:55:54 PM

*Actually I don't mind the singing that much...

Me neither. If we'd heard him live, we'd have to put up with it anyway, right?  :)

Bonehelm

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on April 16, 2007, 02:20:49 AM
His Brahms is gorgeous (only got the 10 intermezzos and 4 ballades last week).

I've been on a bit of a Gould addict lately - funny, I spent part of last night watching several of the 32 short films on YouTube - was just looking for Gould videos generally.

(P.S. Check out this one.)

I find that quite funny since people have been bashing on Bernstein and his recording on Brahm's piano concerto  :-X

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on May 30, 2007, 02:57:11 PM
Me neither. If we'd heard him live, we'd have to put up with it anyway, right?  :)

Right, and you'd have to put up with his creaky chair...which is why his yodeling and the extraneous noises don't bother me. Although I never heard GG live, I did attend a recital in March by a young Polish pianist named Bartlomiej Melges. He learned to play, and sing, at the Glenn Gould Conservatory...apparently :D  Unlike Gould, though, the guy could sing in tune  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 30, 2007, 05:09:21 AM
Enjoy his Bach greatly, but not a big fan of everything else he has done. He was a gifted performer, but his eccentric personality often got in the way of his artistry...

I can understand that viewpoint but for me his personality, and how it affected his art, is the reason I'm fascinated by the man and his music..all of it, not just his Bach. I can admire and enjoy the relatively anonymous musical craftsman in selfless service to the composer, but what really excites my interest are the highly individual "characters" of classical music who project their personalities.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"